FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Shoreham - 20th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
In what way (other than the route) ?
Some people are suggesting that the sausages aren't as good.

Dear flying dodo
Thanks for organizing such a great ride; just wanted to join with all the other congrats messages;
Good route; good company ; great breakfast.
Intended to catch a train back from Brighton but got seduced into admiring the sunshine and sea on the shingle and fell asleep. Slightly burnt bonce; train home to east coydon and a spin home to streatham common.

A nice night out

Bob

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Flying Dodo and @velovoice @mmmmartin waymarkers and the rest of the Friday's crew for a spiffing night of cycling. Well organised and some lovely new roads ... Love the airport destinations and a brilliant breakfast - top Snorkers!!!!

The night-time newbies of team Abingdon has a great time so I think we have new converts ... One started talking about buying a Dynohub as we rode to Brighton, a sure sign of addiction!

image.jpeg

Speaking as a committed nightride addict it was another great opportunity to catch-up with old friends, put new faces to avatars and see new places.
Importantly they give a great excuse to make a longer ride either by cycling the 60 miles down to London or a SMRbtH.
This one was a very pleasing 140 miles or so.

Got back in time for the footie, dinner and out to see a local funk band .... Life is good :-)

Thanks all, until next time. FF

Last edited:

hatler

Guru
I forgot to add a HYUUUUGE vote of thanks to all concerned. Please take a bow. It's both a delight and very gratifying to see such a stellar crew continuing this mildly bonkers tradition. I'm very conscious of how much effort this all takes and the grief to which you expose yourselves. It really is appreciated.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well...

Looking back at my performance, Id say I probably bonked out pretty hard due to the lack of food. Last time i ate on friday night was probably around 4pm and even though I did have the one small soreen snack pack at the starting point I just didnt keep stuffing myself along the way to keep myself fueled.

I think i'll pack more food/snacks for the Brighton ride and just eat more along the way. My body isnt so used to the distance so its obviously going to be burning more fuel.

If not then Croydon is always available for me to bail :tongue:

I'll try and get in a few long rides (laps around Richmond park) and get myself conditioned for the Brighton ride.

On a side note - I did just under 30miles but the 13 mile ride home was a complete slog, I had no water and i didnt want to eat the soreen i had in my pack.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My (train on account of being on a bike not powered by 125cc) commute into work was somewhat eventful- someone, who looked drunk, decided to fall on the tracks at Cosham station and therefore held up my train for over ten minutes. By the time it got to Eastleigh, where I left it for the mile-and-a-half ride to work, we were sixteen minutes late and I had enough time to get in before clocking on, not much else. Good job I had sandwiches (normally eaten during my evening meal break....). Thankfully, the post-work trip was much simpler- making a couple of minutes meant time enough to make the 9.38 train north (I got round to the platform just as the train was pulling in) rather than sitting around for half an hour, and I could join the meet up at Victoria rather than rather than go direct to HPC. Which was nice. A £1 vat of tea and a chance to admire @User13710's new low-moment-of-inertia Trek, a teeny classic. She was unsure about how it would handle the distance. Rather well, judging by the way she went past me on Reigate Hill…

The first half of this ride was, of course, very familiar indeed from so many Brighton and Bognor runs. Chelsea Bridge-Battersea-Clapham Common-Mitcham-Portnalls Road-Reigate Hill…top speed down there a mere 33.6 mph, but then I did brake a little. Waymarking a junction in Charlwood when the ride had got strung out a lot (puncture I think) proved somewhat fatal to my chances in the Race for the Bread Pudding. I made up a few places but there was still a long queue when I got to the Cabin. Thankfully, Mark and team had prepared adequate quantities. Two mugs of tea, a cheese and pickle doorstop and a hunk of pud hit the spot as always. Second 'half' was relatively new to me. I did somewhat more walking up hills than I was expecting- a failure to get down the gears quickly enough on one incline, and I got baulked by people weaving about on another (I chose to brake rather than collide with them). Ho hum. Nonetheless, some lovely countryside (even if the roads weren't always lovely- Mr Gravel was right bike for the job again...), and even though we left the Cabin at a later-than-usual 5.15 we were still at Shoreham in plenty of time for the suggested 8am arrival time.

Great choice of the airport as destination. I've been past there on train and bike umpteen times, never visited before. There will be return visits sooner rather than later…fantastic art deco building, lovely scenery (I'd seen it already, just from a train, but even better when stationary), excellent service, cracking food. £8.50 for all of that was a snip. I viewed the cake selection and somehow resisted, that will be a reason to come back...

It was difficult to judge how hard the ride west would be before I left. Once I got out on the A259, I knew exactly…too bleedin' hard. Not too bad once the road edged away from the coast a little, just not enough to help the speed up to the desired level. As I've stated before, in the right circumstances the ride along the coast is a lovely one, in the wrong ones it's nasty, and these were the wrong circumstances. Forty-odd miles at eleven miles an hour average did not appeal- could have ridden all the way, would have done if there was engineering work on the line (etc), but I didn't have to. Trudged along to Worthing, just missed one train to Pompey (it pulled out as I got there), and the next was cancelled…rather than wait an hour, opted to keep riding and got to Littlehampton (after some road rage from a brainless oik on a 50cc scooter…how amusing!) just in time for a not-cancelled service west.

Excellent job @Flying Dodo and all my fellow helpers. And for those who do not fancy joining me on the IOW in a couple of weeks (well, there is rather a lot of climbing, as Adam would put it ;), Brighton's only a month away. Looking forward to Ditchling, if not certain sausages…
Thanks all!

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well...

Looking back at my performance, Id say I probably bonked out pretty hard due to the lack of food. Last time i ate on friday night was probably around 4pm and even though I did have the one small soreen snack pack at the starting point I just didnt keep stuffing myself along the way to keep myself fueled.

I think i'll pack more food/snacks for the Brighton ride and just eat more along the way. My body isnt so used to the distance so its obviously going to be burning more fuel.

If not then Croydon is always available for me to bail
:tongue:

I'll try and get in a few long rides (laps around Richmond park) and get myself conditioned for the Brighton ride.

On a side note - I did just under 30miles but the 13 mile ride home was a complete slog, I had no water and i didnt want to eat the soreen i had in my pack.
…is the correct answer. There is no substitute for feeding yourself properly before and during a ride. You seem to do enough miles the rest of the time to be in the right condition to handle Brighton, providing you keep fuelled.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Anyone know if Angus had his dip in the sea, or anyone else?
Somebody called Angus failed to answer their name at HPC rollcall and had not communicated their non arrival to Flight Leader (incurring displeasure and mutterings), so I guess your answer is no.

Top Bottom