FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 13th March 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Friday Night Ride to the Coast 13th March

The FNRttC enters its 4th year with the classic destination - Brighton.

This will be (I think) our 27th ride, but the first time we've gone this early in the year. I'd expect the turnout to be small (probably under 20) and I don't think it's right to trouble the Horley Scout Hut for our midway stop, so it's the Gatwick Surprise.

The traditional route is Chelsea, Clapham Common, Tooting, Mitcham, Wallington, Chipstead, Reigate, Lonesome Lane and Horley, followed by Haroldslea, Turners Hill, Ardingly, Lindfield, Wivelsfield, Ditchling and over the top of Ditchling Beacon. If it is cold enough to be icy then we'll go to Croydon, down the A23 to Horley, and then take the B2036 south

This is a group ride, with expert Tail End Charlies looking after any stragglers, and frequent collecting points. It's designed for pretty much all abilities and experience - if you think you'd like to give it a go, but you're unsure that you can make the distance then please PM me.

Breakfast will be at the Madeira Cafe on the seafront. There's outside seating, and it's possible to keep an eye on your bike. I've arranged for the public toilets on Madeira Drive to open early (I know that's one detail too many, but when you get to my time of life it's important).

This is a CTC ride, and you do have to register. E-mail me on fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk . If you're under 18 you need a note from a parent of guardian. Talking of the Guardian....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/may/08/ethicalliving.cycling

There will be ten rides this year going to Brighton, Southend-on-Sea, Whitstable and Bognor Regis.

Will1985

Über Member
I thought FNRttC was a yacf organised thing... obviously not.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
some hardened cases cycle back - I've always taken the train. Part of the reason we go to Brighton is that getting up to sixty bikes back on a Saturday morning has never been a problem.

TimO

Guru
Will1985 said:
I thought FNRttC was a yacf organised thing... obviously not.

No, it was often organised a lot through ACF, and hence there was also frequently a mirrored (somewhat randomly) thread on YACF, but Simon does it as a CTC ride. Having said that, I think he is quite happy to welcome non-CTC members onto it.

Anyway, it's good to see it back, but I'm not sure how ten rides fit in. Last year, I think there were nine ride, March to November (of which I managed seven, only missing the two wet ones!)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
TimO said:
Anyway, it's good to see it back, but I'm not sure how ten rides fit in. Last year, I think there were nine ride, March to November (of which I managed seven, only missing the two wet ones!)

ah-ha! It's not rocket science! Two full moons in October! I've asked some folk to put it on YACF, Tim, but if you're there, feel free to cut and paste.

13 March Brighton via Gatwick
9 April (Thursday) Southend via Junction 31
8 May Brighton via Horley Scout Hut
5 June Whitstable via Andy's Café Rochester
3 July ‘Genteel Ride’ to Brighton via Horley Scout Hut
7 August Bognor via Cabin Café Faygate
4 September Whitstable via Andy's Café Rochester
2 October Southend via Junction 31
30 October Whitstable via Andy's Café Rochester
27 November Brighton via Gatwick

TimO

Guru
dellzeqq said:
ah-ha! It's not rocket science! Two full moons in October!

Ah, well I know there are more than 12 full moons a year, but I assumed you just picked one on those months which potentially had two rides, so there would only be one ride a month.

This means that there will have to be an Early and Late October ride.

dellzeqq said:
I've asked some folk to put it on YACF, Tim, but if you're there, feel free to cut and paste.

Beaten to it by others, where the discussion has only reached six pages so far.;)

Radius

SHREDDER
Like I said, I think I'd be interested in this, need to check to see if I've got anything really important on which I don't know yet (but should next week). Do I need to send you an email then to join?

;)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
you do. I need a mobile number and a CTC number if you have one. Iirc you will have achieved your majority by then....

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I will defo be up for some as really been wanting to do a ride to the coast for ages now, but I think my body will still be in shock from the Hertford ride to do the first one... but! I never say never! Will let you know..

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Davywalnuts said:
I will defo be up for some as really been wanting to do a ride to the coast for ages now, but I think my body will still be in shock from the Hertford ride to do the first one... but! I never say never! Will let you know..

to be honest, Davy, I don't think you'll have a problem. It's a pretty genteel sort of do.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
seen a write up from a previous night ride & wouldn't mind a crack at it, but I'm working nights for the March one. The train travel from Brighton to Hull is a bit of a killer too, maybe have a look at another one later in the year & see if i can get a cheap advance ticket :blush:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
wierdly, we do have a rider who comes down from Hull from time to time. How he does it is beyond me, but he's always good fun when he gets there, and has been remarkably modest about Hull's record against London clubs this year. Which I wouldn't have been....

Top Bottom