FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 13th March 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
What a turn out !!

Great fun all round. Hardly noticed the headwind but did notice my legs. I had perhaps done a little too much before Ditchling so when Matthew, PaulR and I set off long after everyone had gone, and I realised my legs were not quite responding to the signals I was passing them, I was a little concerned that I might actually have to get off and walk. This would have been disastrous given that new bike is about a third lighter than my old one and might have had me questioning the dosh spent on it. Anyhow, going slowly did the trick.

One thing that is unavaoidable on this ride that always amuses me is that we all slog our way up DB, pour out buckets of sweat, and then congregate on the South Down's most exposed point to chat (and slowly freeze).

The murk going down the hill to Brighton wasn't much fun, and this lack of visibility combined with the headwind (I did notice it here) meant that at the speed camera I was doing less than 30. Poor performance. Must do better.

I had been intending to head straight off to the station as soon as we hit Brighton, but we had made such good time that I was able to fill myself with one of the finest plates of breakfast grease I have witnessed in a long time, and still make a train to get me home by 9 in time to take mini-hatler to footy.

A quick doze on the sofa yesteray afternoon and I felt .......

well, knackered. But happy. (And the bike was worth it !!)

Thanks Simon, User10571 and all helpers for once again creating a fantastic ride. It's so well marshalled (and I therefore don't have to think about the routing at all) that having done it three times now I still don't think I could do it without being guided.

Looking forward to whichever one I do next immensely. July is likely to be a Ditchling join-up, with all eyes on whether mini-hatler will cycle his own bike up DB. I may have to set him off well ahead of everyone.

Thanks also to everyone for eating all my cake before the final ascent. It lightened my load significantly.

A roughly hewn video of some of the ride's events is here:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B9NBp9xC-I

TimO

Guru
I went along a short bit of the Brighton route yesterday, and since I've always previously done it at night, hadn't realised that we go right past BedZed with it's rather distinctive look. Much harder to miss in daylight!

tanya g

Just like to say a big thank you for the ride on Friday night. My first ride with most of you and I really enjoyed it. I haven’t had my bike out since before Christmas and decided to stay three of four off the front and follow the more experienced guys leading the way. Really nice that everyone could find their own pace and that we arrived at the forecast time as a group.

The Gatwick surprise was just that and there is something surreal about being in the arrivals lounge at 3am, with 40 other cyclists!

Some nice chats were had whilst we were cycling along or waiting for the TEC’s. Thanks to everyone that kept me company on the journey and the group seemed really nice. I hope I can make a few more.

Thanks Simon et al.

Yep.
Tanya is spot on. Surrealism took centre stage in the early hours...winding through the secret passageway created exclusively for Tourist Tony (the ingredient 'X' in the mix of folk) arriving at an escalade of concrete stairs leading to Nirvana-on-Sea AKA Costa coffee. (Lesser mortals resorted to sensible and went upstairs to Caffé Nero )
I am impressed at the profound nonchalance exhibited by the...well, us:smile: We ate, drank, had a laugh - and all was well with the world as we set off...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Surreal was the surprise birthday cake at Andy's Cafe. With flashing women. Book a trip to Whitstable....

and who remembers the 63rd rider? Pasquale?

hatler

Guru
dellzeqq said:
and who remembers the 63rd rider? Pasquale?

Oh yes.

P (to TimH) "So. Whassa the plan ?"
TimH (with a mildly incredulous look). "We're going to Brighton."
P "OK. Can I join you ?"
T "Please do"

Fast forward about 15 miles to the unlit streets of Surrey, just within the M25.

P "Is thisa the long way to Brixton ?"
T (spluttering) "Brixton ?? No, we're going to Brighton."

Pasquale had popped out for a pizza for his two flatmates, but in deepest Surrey had not the foggiest clue how to get back (and he didn't have any pizzas either). He did the whole run.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dan B
Adrian C
User10571 B
arallsopp
Fred S
Jack F
Brian P
flying dodo
Paul R
Hatler
Aperitif
Chris B
Simon P
Marna G
Des O'D
ilovebikes
Els V
Dave J
Tom McD
Robbie D
Dan P
Isa T
Iain C
topcat1
Dave S
Ben P
Jonathan C
Tim F
Louise L
Jon A
Alan P
Caitlin R
Alan L
Gerald C
Ed O
Matt S
Elizabeth N
Charlotte B
Tanya G
Richard C
Tony
Tim O
The Mysterious Pavel

you'll all be getting an e-mail in the next day or two, with links and such stuff. I've yet to receive a link from The Mysterious Pavel - but, then again....

Five Go Mad In Brighton - (and decide to ride back...)

So.
11.30pm and I had already gone wrong, arriving at a fine destination on the front of a bus, but not for me. I waited around and met another stray who managed to anagram the letters ORCYHDAKREPERN to spell MARBLE ARCH. Doh!:becool: So we whizzed through the mash of traffic to meet in the correct place and receive fair comment on group behaviour en route.
9itzqa.jpg

ilovebikes with entourage behind

And off!
My first ride and a wierd mix of anticipation, excitement and, well, 'pride to ride'! A shining trail making its way through London - encouraged by clubbers and suchlike offering kerbside coaching. It has already been stated that the ride had its Magritte moments - at the CostaNero School of Art - Gatwick Airport more familiarly, and I had a jolly good lump of Parkin cake, courtesy of (hatler would this be?).
Tourist Tony lived up to expectation - he had left his cutlass and pirate hat at home but took command of the back alleys leading to the airport, which had no chance to repel the boarders bearing bikes. Bizarre!
So. Off again. To Brighton and Ditchling Beacon, which I was happy to climb in reasonable comfort - always difficult when one is 75 and a bit kgs...(the bit being 26kg!) and big cheers for the lad who rode the scaffolding bike on wheels (Name of bike and rider please?) - a big effort. From everyone.:becool:
2412x4k.jpg

topcat1 and ilovebikes - members of the CycleChat forum group...
29zzk8m.jpg

A mist of satisfaction enveloped the mob...
30ddq1h.jpg

...as they regrouped at the point of The Beacon

And onward into the valley of fun rode the 700cs - Brighton seafront - The Madeira Café, where you can have your cake open and eat it too! Brilliant teamwork ensured that steaming breakfasts were sprinkled around at alarming speed, accompanied by MUGS of tea- not piddly little cups etc...perfect! Oh! the weather? It was light rain - as if it mattered...
It was always my intention to ride it back to London - near Heathrow actually. Easy looking at a map and visualising a straight line. In practice, I would probably be circling the town centre still, along with the seagulls...:wacko:
Cue Brian - who always rides back.
4zx7qr.jpg

The return begins...

Funnily enough, the only ones who wanted to ride the return leg were arallsopp,ilovebikes,topcat1 and self - all nutters members of the forum.
The sun broke through and steamed us dry as we pointed to upwards England - Brian describing the return with knowledge and authority. He is from Addiscombe CC and if anyone has the privilege of riding with him - take the opportunity. There are not too many people who I call gentlemen but this guy was one. Interesting, amusing and confidence giving - this guy is a real star. I'm sure my fellow travellers would agree that he deserved 10/10 - and a big thank you. Thanks Brian - if you read this anytime. (Well, somebody might...)
'Small' matter of ilovebikes cracking a century - two weeks before his eighteenth birthday - well done, and we celebrated by having a team photo at the earliest opportunity (my bike is my body double for the purposes of this photo)
1z720kn.jpg

steering committee at the magic 100 mile mark

We cracked open the bottles of champagne coca cola at Rusper to celebrate the hundred milestone before the push towards Reigate.
i2r3t3.jpg

Refuelling for the five

We arrived at a junction that said Dorking left and Reigate right. Originally, I was going to head back into central London to rendezvous with my French rugby charges as they ran riot in a pub somewhere - but a phone call meant that it was more sensible to get home and organise some transport. So I went left and the others went right. Saw a sign at the first roundabout I came to that said Tadworth. Ah I though...Tadworth, Ewell, Epsom, Kingston, home.
"Holy gradients Batman!" my first bit of self-inflicted pain in the form of a 16% slope :blush:(Is this Pebblehill Road? Trust me - I nearly didn't make it - but felt so good when I did!) No idea where to go next but rolled past Epsom racecourse, through Kingston and home for a quick shower and out. I worked out that I had a 43 hour 'day' before finally getting my head down at 02:00 on Sunday morning after getting back from the Kiwi Kitchen in Fulham (This 'restaurant' will never be awarded a dustpan and brush, let alone a star, by the French...'best avoided' is the printable comment) Man, did that sleep feel good!:thumbsup:
220kms for the day in just over 10 hours - I can only say another big thank you to Simon, User10571, Tim and all who made my night day work. Nice people, good fun and really interesting. And thanks again Brian. Superstar.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Aperitif said:
So.
- Brian describing the return with knowledge and authority. He is from Addiscombe CC and if anyone has the privilege of riding with him - take the opportunity. There are not too many people who I call gentlemen but this guy was one. Interesting, amusing and confidence giving - this guy is a real star. .

Agreed. One of the best. You must ask him about his return trip from Whitstable.......

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Aperitif said:
... big cheers for the lad who rode the scaffolding bike on wheels (Name of bike and rider please?) - a big effort.

I had a brief conversation with him, as that Yuba is a hell of an ice breaker. IIRC, his name was Gerry, and the bike was a Yuba Mundo.

Aperitif said:
- Brian describing the return with knowledge and authority. He is from Addiscombe CC and if anyone has the privilege of riding with him - take the opportunity. There are not too many people who I call gentlemen but this guy was one. Interesting, amusing and confidence giving - this guy is a real star. I'm sure my fellow travellers would agree that he deserved 10/10 - and a big thank you. Thanks Brian

Absolutely agreed. Brian is a star, and a real pleasure to ride with. I hope to hell he's planning on joining the TNRttC. Else I've got to find my own way back ;)

Massive thanks again to all. Let's do that again sometime :blush:

Top Bottom