FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 16th May 2014, York to Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
This is a lovely ride. It's of the place - a kind of regional delicacy. Vermuyden and his successors made the land (and, inadvertently, set off two hundred years of rioting) and we still traverse the roads that were laid as causeways across water meadows and marsh. The 'high' spots, clanking steel bridges, are as high because boats had to pass under. Where the traffic was intermittent they built swing bridges - I think we crossed four - and, finally, just thirtysomething years ago, they built The Big One. And, at the water's edge, inlets, sluices, docks and tidal flats teeming with bird life.

So, flat pasture, rich, soft arable land, bridges, ships in towns (although not on Friday night) and towers, some on churches, some containing water, some with lights on, and, lately, some with blades that turn in the lightest of breezes. And the vast berm. It's landscape as a diagram. And nowhere more of a diagram than when wayfinding on the road in to Garthorpe, watching the amazing beams of modern bike lights turn this way and that along roads without hedges.

The great thing about diagrams is that they let you calculate. We were due in Garthorpe at 3.25. The breeze was from the southwest. I knew from experience that the slower the front of the ride, the quicker the rear of the ride, and so we rolled along at a steady rate that got us to Goole ten minutes early (and as Olaf wisely said, a single puncture would have got us in bang on time). I sent a text to Garthorpe to let them know we would arrive at 3.15, and received a text back. Last year the fast group set off from Goole at 2.50 and rode like the wind to arrive on time. This year we had to do no more than roll along at about sixteen miles an hour to avoid arriving fifteen minutes early. Our timing was spot on, and the interval between first and last no more than ten minutes. The people who run the halfway stops like that confirmation - it's part of the package that has them hoping you'll come back next year (and we were asked to come back next year). We were short on numbers, but our hosts were the soul of charity and we split the difference, so no great harm was done to the Club funds (and, as the sagacious Olaf asked, what else is the money for?)

I'm not the greatest fan of the second half of the ride. The memorial to the dead of Flixborough http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flixborough_disaster is moving. Winterton is sweet. The reflection off the millpond-smooth water of the Humber was remarkable in its intensity. And the Bridge is, as User10571's photo shows, mega. Then again...our destination is just wonderful. Hull's broad green avenues never looked finer, and the football colours (and coaches by the score) was a carnival at breakfast time. We had breakfasts that cost next to nothing (point taken) and, one by one, rode off or walked to the station. I slept on the train (hopefully not too raucously) and didn't quite make half time before falling asleep for twelve hours.

All in all, as good a weekend as one could wish for. And............next weekend it's Paris! Va-va-voom!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
we've had mudguard problems on three rides in the last four.
http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/p/its-most-definitely-about-bike.html

I hope you're not including my non-incident in that count. I had to speed away from groups of people eager to offer unnecessary assistance. I rode on happily for another 50 miles or so, with one mudguard stay flapping in the wind. The other three carried on doing their job undaunted.

I do take the advice on the blog seriously. I check my tyres assiduously. I never bring fruit cake or cheese and pickle sandwiches. Racks and panniers are absent from my bike. I've been known to trigger weather systems by sequestering so much of the local athmosphere in my tyres. OK, so I do sometimes ride with a small saddlebag if clothing changes are likely because I never, ever, ride with a rucksack, I just don't like it.

But there are limits. I'm not going to give up my mudguards. I'm not riding around on an indecent nude bike for anyone.

My friend Mad Jack, who came on last year's York ride, was driven into such a state of terror by the blog that she tore the crud-catchers off her bike - with her teeth by the look of it - but some tiny jagged fragments remained that went scree-scree-scree all the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
by the way. The story about the Keadby Crane, Princess Margaret and the tasselled bikini. I'm beginning to wonder if Cubist didn't make some of that up.

I managed to have a mudguard-related mechanical. I did my best to keep this hidden from the TECs and soldiered on. A mildly irritating rubbing noise was as nothing to the shame of holding up the ride with my mudguards.
I managed to save @mcshroom from a mudguard related incident. I noticed his off side rear stay was not attached to the rear mudguard and hence it was rubbing along the tyre. We stopped, he found he'd lost the required bolt and I provided a cable tie instead. Problem solved. We then had a nice blast to catch up with the main group. And my wife doesn't understand why I enjoy these rides ;)

D

Deleted member 18052

Yorkie people: The Dalek garage had a sign saying it was the last shop before Mars. Is this a planetary cycle way reference or mere small shop keeper eccentricity?

The petrol station wont be there next year if the sainsburys planning gets approved for the B&Q warehouse!

Looked a good ride, might have to come along to the next one!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I managed to save @mcshroom from a mudguard related incident. I noticed his off side rear stay was not attached to the rear mudguard and hence it was rubbing along the tyre. We stopped, he found he'd lost the required bolt and I provided a cable tie instead. Problem solved. We then had a nice blast to catch up with the main group. And my wife doesn't understand why I enjoy these rides ;)
You should have said, I carry spare mudguard eyebolts for just such an eventuality. So great is my fear in mudguard failure on a FNRttC

Tim Hall

The petrol station wont be there next year if the sainsburys planning gets approved for the B&Q warehouse!

Looked a good ride, might have to come along to the next one!
Which would explain this poster:
IMGP3749.JPG

Just checking in - nothing to add to anything anybody's said .... except that it was brilliant. Thanks to all involved - for the company, the sandwiches-cake-n-tea, and the ride.

I bottled out of the group cycling back York ways. Didn't reckon I'd make it - and was well prepared to coast back down the hill to Hull for the train. Aye - but I was wrong - I got through to Selby, and trained back to Leeds.

Just checking in - nothing to add to anything anybody's said .... except that it was brilliant. Thanks to all involved - for the company, the sandwiches-cake-n-tea, and the ride.

I bottled out of the group cycling back York ways. Didn't reckon I'd make it - and was well prepared to coast back down the hill to Hull for the train. Aye - but I was wrong - I got through to Selby, and trained back to Leeds.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
This is good fun to look at:- http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer...IrG13CFwdeQhLUYUIzfp3COxqeQjlankI8R97CPUfewg=

It shows those of us on the ride who have put their ride info onto Strava but, better, it also shows other people out on their bikes.
Check out "Stuart" who was, presumably, riding home after a night shift (unless it was a "ride of shame").
He blew on by on the straight road towards South Ferriby but we were reeling him in on the climb.
If it was a ride of shame, we could perhaps forgive him for his lack of energy.

Cubist

Still wavin'
by the way. The story about the Keadby Crane, Princess Margaret and the tasselled bikini. I'm beginning to wonder if Cubist didn't make some of that up.
Not sure it was cubist that told you the 'facts' about he crane :thumbsup:
PS It wasnt me either ^_^
Initially puzzled, I now realise dell is creating a smokescreen around the person who really let slip the truth of the incident. I am led to believe he may have had a visit from some chaps in grey suits keen to put the lid firmly back on the can.

Top Bottom