FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 16th May 2014, York to Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
In case anyone is interested, here's the GPS track of our foray

Screen+Shot+2014-05-18+at+13.54.56.png

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I didn't want to seem a bit sad by asking everyone to identify themselves by their forum name, and that's one of my biggest regrets of the night, that I've spent such a fantastic time in your company without taking the trouble to find out who you all were. I was pretty certain I'd identified @User10119 as soon as you appeared with the huge stash of cake, and I already knew vernon. @Tim Hall wins the prize for dressing just like the bloke in his avatar, and I'm looking forward to working out who's who from the group photo. For the record I'm right at the back wearing the cyclechat buff as a bandanna.

For reference I'm the one at the back of the group photo in the light blue top & white helmet :thumbsup: I'm hopeless with names, so didnt even try to ask & remember anyones, sorry no offence caused if I didnt remember your name :smile:

Felt a little tired & stiff this morning, so been out a done a brisk 42 miles to try & ease up...... maybe rest tomorrow???

Screen grab of my combined FNRttC and SMRBtY Strava route below which myself, @mcshroom and @CrinklyUncle did. The climb from Hull is a decent drag, not too steep but it does go on a bit however the descent is well worth it. I enjoyed the return ride even more for my 2 pints of Kronenburg at Spoons. Been out and rode the Trough of Bowland today (Sunday). Leg feel fine. How's everyone else doing?

map.gif

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
[QUOTE 3086692, member: 10119"]he did attempt an audax nap at the halfway, and he did find some bits 'a bit hard'. Some of the 'flat bits', apparently. He does like a good hill to climb...
[/QUOTE]
Yes, he really does live up to that jersey....
Rider of the night, no doubt about that.

StuAff

Screen grab of my combined FNRttC and SMRBtY Strava route below which myself, @mcshroom and @CrinklyUncle did. The climb from Hull is a decent drag, not too steep but it does go on a bit however the descent is well worth it. I enjoyed the return ride even more for my 2 pints of Kronenburg at Spoons. Been out and rode the Trough of Bowland today (Sunday). Leg feel fine. How's everyone else doing?

View attachment 45546
Thanks for the route out of Hull, worked a bit better than the one I took last year. Still lumpy, no way round that sadly, but a definite improvement.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For reference, my GPX track is here I avoided any more hills by staying to the East of the river Hull on my way North. There are steeper pancakes.

And I've by the way I've checked, and contrary to the rubbish I was saying on the bridge, the Humber is just the name of the estuary/inlet. There is no river Humber - just the Ouse and the Trent (and little ones like the Hull). Unless you consider the estuary itself to be a river, which is a question for geographers.

For reference I'm the one at the back of the group photo in the light blue top & white helmet :thumbsup: I'm hopeless with names, so didnt even try to ask & remember anyones, sorry no offence caused if I didnt remember your name :smile:
I'm the second head to the right of the waving hand at the back and was riding this bike.

But to more serious matters ...
well, the rash of cancellations have taken the ride down below the point at which it would be worth the Garthorpe folks turning out - we're down to 36. The club will make up the shortfall in cash, but this looks like the last of the York to Hull rides.......

Is the principal reason for your saying this just the low numbers? Or the fact that the lovely people of Garforth (to whom many thanks!) can't be expected to get up at a stupid time for no real return?

While I can't do anything about the numbers, I can at least volunteer to do some recce riding for you. Maybe there's a 24hr place of some description in Scunthorpe à la Gatwick? (although that would extend the ride). I noticed when I drove up that there's a new 24h MacDonalds just opened near Market Weighton. Now, I know that's in the wrong place and is horrible, but maybe there would be something like that in a better location? Hell, if I thought it would help, I'd even volunteer to forsake the ride and meet people in a layby at 3am with a car bootful of cheese butties and some thermos flasks, but I do realise that would be no substitute at all for a warm dry village hall.

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
For goodness sake, will no one think of the children? Get a grip there.

The kids are fine :smile:. I take back what I said about the repartee though.

PS: I have a gilet left by Natalie, I think. Happy to post it to her if someone can check with her that it is hers.

In a moment of madness, I agreed to go for a run with my running club then do a yoga session a few hours later. I managed both, but not to be repeated. Can just about walk now.

Tim Hall

Right, a few more random jottings:

York is a lovely place to start a ride. All those ladies in nice frocks!
Brilliant cakes by @User10119.
I got The Eldest Cub's name wrong. Sorry.
Lots of new faces, quite a few old ones.
I had an absolute hoot at the back, nattering with whomever I found next to me.
The scenery is fantastic, although I get a bit freaked out riding along next to a river that's above me.
Gordon, that trike is a wonderful bit of kit.
Top work by Garthorpe village hall. Ginger(?) flapjack. Nom
Howden is a nice tiny village. What is it that brings the Press Association there?
Who knew Hull had three football teams? Even if two play with funny shaped balls.
More pics here, including a (hopefully) better one of the team.

StuAff

That was even better than last year. Due to the work-related issues that prevented the Squires household from being able to accomodate me I was forced, forced I tell you, after an exhaustive online search of the remaining options (no availability in the YHA which would have been first choice), to book in a very, very good B&B- as it happens, not only is it on the outskirts of Tollerton but Jen knows one of the proprietors. If you are in the area and looking for somewhere to stay, highly recommended. Just off the A19, bike-friendly (the Condor got parked in the hall), top-notch locally-sourced breakfast, comfortable room with all the usual mod-cons. Oh, and when I arrived, would I like a cup of tea? Naturally I said yes. Didn't get a cup of tea. Got a five-cup pot of tea (drained, of course), handmade scone with jam and butter. Result!

As I wasn't dining with Jen and Daryl, I'd arranged with @User10119 to take up her very kind offer of accommodation and food. Sped back down the A19- covered the six or so miles to the roundabout that marks the outskirts of the city in twenty three minutes- before making my way to the Crinkly residence. For those who've not been to the Den, it most emphatically is a House of Cyclists. There was a copy of Arrivee on the stairs. Bike storage (most elegant and effective) in the front room. A saddle in the window. Tyre levers and assorted parts on the dining table. And our host knows how to look after people...two large batches of macaroni cheese had been prepared (nom nom nom #1), and then there were The Cakes (and cheese scones) (nom nom nom #2,3,4,5....). Oh my, The Cakes. The lady is like a one-woman WI baking group. Apologies in advance to anyone who destroys electronic equipment through slobbering at this pic....
14028819938_9e9daa559b_b_d.jpg

I was the first to arrive, but (apart from young Eldest Cub, of course) I was soon joined by @mcshroom, my fellow NIN fan @phantasmagoriana (hope the Glasgow show's a good-un, btw) @Soltydog @ComedyPilot, @User10571 and last, but definitely not least, @CrinklyUncle. After a most pleasant evening of nosh and nattering, the assembled peloton, including our host with bake-laden panniers, made its way to the Minster, tiptoeing past dopey peds, to join the assembled flock and 'enjoy' that impromptu drunken chorus. Simon somehow resisted Crinkles' sustained, Mrs Doyle-esque efforts to give him some cake. I don't think anyone else felt inclined to resist, and with good reason :smile:

And then we left, the exit from the city as rapid and trouble-free as can be. Can't recall seeing that bonkers store with the Daleks on the roof before- striking. It was a bit colder than the weather forecasts suggested, the jacket was needed. Ride was pleasantly uneventful until Goole. No idea what attracted that young woman. Perhaps she smelt the Soreen....Either that, or I was an unwitting tester for the new fragrance for men, 'Audax'.....

The Garthorpe stop again put on a magnificent spread, shame there weren't more of us to enjoy it. I don't know who ate all the pies, but thanks to @vernon I ate one of them. And top notch it was too. Simon's talk on the crane was illuminating, but the undisputed highlight of this ride for me is The Bridge. Hull was even more colourful than usual- the support for the various teams very much evident. Shame about Pasaz- as serviceable as the Wetherspoons breakfast is, just not a patch on the best.

At a quarter to ten, I bade my farewells and headed north. The climb out of the city was slightly less grindy than last time as @middleagecyclist's route ideas worked well. For the most part, the ride back was pretty uneventful and reasonably rapid, despite a bit of discomfort and opting to walk through part of York centre rather than take a longer way round. Back at Angel Inn House just after two, shower then bed. Stats here. Woke in plenty of time to pootle round to Chez Squires, and Jen and I had a cracking dinner at the Black Horse pub, where we were joined by Daryl, returned from a long walk with the dogs. Back to theirs, a chance to say hello to the canines (who were as shy and retiring as usual...boisterous little scamps!) before bidding them farewell.

This morning, an excellent breakfast demolished, a somewhat slower trip back to York station followed. Opted to go first class for the train back to the smoke. Unfortunately, there were a small over-boisterous group of Gateshead FC supporters who had done similarly, and did not seem to understand or care that fellow passengers might not appreciate their sweary drunken behaviour (there were many more of them on the train, I'm sure they weren't all like that). Poetic justice against the boorish..their team lost. I drowned them out as best I could. Oh well...food was nice and service excellent. Back home not long after four.

This ride needs to keep going. If that means dosh up front for the halfway, or making do with a suitable supermarket or garage, so be it. But it's just too darn good to be consigned to a ride dustbin. It's a jewel.

mistral

Guru
That turned out quite well then.

Got into York early, so took a 30 odd mile ride out to Weatherby.

Sadly didn't meet up with @Cubist at Pizza Express - better grub at MILs apparently(!), but did have the fine company of @middleagecyclist

A smaller group than usual shared a wonderful evening of fine weather, lovely countryside and the great company of each other.

Great to meet some new folk and catch up with others, both regulars and those seen less frequently.

Would be a real loss for this one to fall out of the calendar, as other have mentioned, it's right up there with the best

For those who don't know me, I was the charlatan dressed in pink

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If the mid ride stop becomes an issue due to numbers, then there is a MacD (which I'm sure is 24hours) at Goole, just of Jn 36? M62 which is less than a mile off the route. As much as I hate the places, I'd be happy to use it, if it was the difference between the ride going ahead or not :thumbsup:

Danny

Legendary Member
As others have said, it was an excellent ride. I also learnt a few things...

1. It is possible to get sunburnt on a night ride - or at least when the sun rises so early. Dell might want to add the need to apply sun block to his typically comprehensive health and safety briefing.

2. It is also possible to get very cold if you pay attention to the BBC weather forecast

3. It is a bad idea to only have 5 hours sleep the night before a ride - there was one point around 5:00 when I actually thought I might fall asleep while I in the saddle.

Managed to leave a pair of gloves at our first short rest stop, so ended up cycling the first part of the route to Howden yesterday to retrieve them. I also managed to loose a black wool sock (long story).

Last edited:

Danny

Legendary Member
If the mid ride stop becomes an issue due to numbers, then there is a MacD (which I'm sure is 24hours) at Goole, just of Jn 36? M62 which is less than a mile off the route. As much as I hate the places, I'd be happy to use it, if it was the difference between the ride going ahead or not :thumbsup:
Or if we all persuaded one extra person to come on the ride that would double the numbers.

Top Bottom