FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 16th May 2014, York to Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

That's v kind, but doesn't identify people (unless you all checked the box for no publicity)

(Cropped version below)
IMGP3816.JPG

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I know who some of them there folk are.
Congrats to the Eldest Cub.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't have much to add to what others have said. The urban bits of York, such as they are, are gone in a flash. Moon, weather, bridges, berms, crane. Making like the Tour de France but with rapeseed instead of sunflowers. All top notch.

Add to that the personal convenience of this to me (family in Driffield) giving me a chance to ride over the flat flatness between Hull and Driff in the morning. It would be so sad if this were the last.

I'll upload some pics when I'm less narcoleptic.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
SMRttB&B successfully completed, just over 120 miles since leaving Crinkly Den last night. Woke up about half an hour ago. Another corker. More to follow at some point, meeting up with best mate Jen in the pub shortly....

Had a great night. Thanks Simon and Co for all the hard work. The SMRtY was also very good too with a better/quieter depart than previously. I reached the Millennium Bridge solo as my two compatriots were turning off before the city centre and I had a train to catch.

A few pics from the night. Haven't been to bed yet so video will have to wait.

DSCF2258.jpg
DSCF2269.jpg
DSCF2273.jpg
DSCF2276.jpg
DSCF2287.jpg
DSCF2292.jpg
DSCF2314.jpg

anyone we know my dear?
Indeed - and what a LOVELY surprise it was when I realised from a FB comment who was perhaps going to be there! I turned to the EldestCub and said "I _think_ that Gordon is riding tonight!" which was met with a slightly blank puzzled look. It should perhaps be noted that this is more-or-less the default look for said proto-teen, mind.
"You know - we went camping in his garden once! Anout... 3 annahalf years ago?", said I. There was a slow creep over his face of an expression of recollection and realisation....

"Oh! He's the one that let us crack nuts open with a sledgehammer!"

Yup. And also put Inappropriate Things on the bonfire, in the interests of Science. Memorable for Cubs, that kind of stuff.

As was the ride. It has been on his bucket list for the best part of 4 years now since he was 8 and, after the Cleethorpes ride, I answered his 'can I do one please!' with 'maybe one day, when you're older'. In typical Aspie fashion that 'one day' meant that it had to happen eventually. How could it not?

Leaving the 'spoons he turned to me and said "Mum? Guess what? I've been here... on my bicycle!" Revenge for the countless times that, when in forrin parts, I have inflicted a similar conversation on him and his brother. I did point out that, technically, he's been there on mine-and-his-brother's bicycle. And that CrinklyAuntie and I have both been there on our bikes too in the past :biggrin: We headed through the shopping centre via the Krispy Kreme concession, where he chose treats for us and also everyone in his other home as a thank you for letting us steal him for the night so that he could do the ride, to CrinklyAuntie and Uncle's car. Still insistent that he wasn't tired. I remain unconvinced...
View attachment 45385

He did wake up half way home, and was perky enough. Apparently nothing hurts really, and although he was a bit cold after the halfway stop he thinks it was because he'd been so warm inside since he hadn't take his coat off. Well, your mum does always tell you that if you do that you won't feel the benefit. And Mother Knows Best. He also said that although he absolutely wasn't sleepy at any point he did attempt an audax nap at the halfway, and he did find some bits 'a bit hard'. Some of the 'flat bits', apparently. He does like a good hill to climb...

He's had a bath and got changed and taken himself and his box of doughnuts round to his dad's for the rest of the weekend, a very happy proto-teen indeed. Thanks to everyone for welcoming him, CrinklyAuntie for the retrieval mission, @CrinklyUncle for the training (mostly in the form of audax!), the piloting and then the riding all the way back stokerless to get the tandem home! And particular thanks, natch, to @dellzeqq for agreeing to have him along for the ride.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
No. Some people eat pie for breakfast. :whistle:
There certainly seemed to be more 'pie trading' than I've ever experienced on a ride before ^_^
Hope you had a pleasant journey back home @vernon

Ruthie

Über Member
That looks awesome that ride. I am so envious. It was the right decision not to ride, but boy have I missed out!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Thanks to @dellzeqq for a fantastic ride.

I am normally a solo rider, so this was by far the largest group I'd ridden in. Rolling out of York was dispensed with in no time at all, and we seemed to offer a light relief to the beery wanderers at throwing out time. There was one nugget on Hull road that was driving like a twerp, but we were soon passing B&Q and they were forgotten.

Dropping down onto the road to Elvington we were treated to the call of 'All Up' by the lovely @Agent Hilda - a call that made me chuckle all night.

The pace was not what I'd expected. It was easy to keep up, and I suppose just what's required to keep a large peloton together. The smells of rapeseed, freshly-cut hay and silage filled our nostrils as we made our way south east. Occasional comfort stops had men and ladies scurrying for the hedgerows.

Some of the overtaking cars made me wince a bit, but there were no real probs all night. Soon we rolled into Howden where a certain train driving chum of mine admitted not stopping to drop off his passengers:whistle:

Last edited:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Next up was the old Ouse bridge and a spin into Goole. A brief stop in the town centre was made all the more fun by a barefooted young lady draping herself all over some of our group for a hug/pic, much to the annoyance of her sandal-carrying suitor. Another observation in Goole is that there is only one car in the town - a white Vauxhall driven by a girl with frankly appalling musical taste.

After Goole we moved onto the flat reclaimed land, made possible by the dyke that was our constant companion from here to Gunness. A few miles from the rest stop at Garthorpe the pace increased which had a welcome warming effect in the coldest part of the night. Seeing the lights strung out as we zig-zagged our way along was a nice sight. A nagging cough I have had for weeks caught me and I dropped of the front bunch and couldn't catch up again. Seeing @dellzeqq point out the rest stop came just in time.

I was wired at the rest stop and not too tired. Some people were cat napping after the (lovely) sarnies but I was more concerned with swapping pies with forum stalwart @vernon. Also got to meet @Dogtrousers when I recognised his bike.

We then headed out into the dawn skies and weaved our way south towards Keadle. Who would have known the Princess Margaret connection to some old crane? :whistle:

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
A great night. Followed by a big win for the gunners. What's not to like? (Feeling a bit sorry for the really nice Hull supporters I met on the train back to the big smoke. But only a bit.) Now sleep, pictures tomorrow.

Top Bottom