FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 19th November - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Be fair Stu - he had to lead the ride...and thanks for appreciating the cake - it recompenses, somewhat, the last Brighton ride, the Parkin from your Mum, which you dislike so much you k'od on Reigate Hill to avoid eating... :whistle:

Parkin? Dislike? I think not!!!
biggrin.gif

Coo-eee! I'm home!
Rich is in good humour - judging by the clothes he wore, anyway. A different night ride that would probably be spectacular in the daylight. Perhaps a Saturday morning ride...

Frank alluded to

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi Everyone - just got back.

Thanks for a great ride (and for waiting for me at the top of Devils Dyke :biggrin:)

Thankyou to everyone for making the ride so enjoyable, and especially to Simon for the organisation. Right I'll write more later I'm off to bed
tired.gif

Just some numbers:
Total time including travelling is 27 hrs 10 mins
Miles on the trains just over 720 :ohmy:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ah well, it wasn't my night. I baled out very shortly after leaving the pit-stop at Faygate. I had not been feeling 100% for a few days, but thought I would be OK once I got to HPC. In retrospect, I was being a bit selfish. Fairly quickly, even the modest inclines became torture, despite magnificent encouragement from the amazing TECs, to whom I raise my chapeau. Can I also apologise to the poor waymarkers who must have hung about for ages waiting for the arrival of a pitiful specimen?

It was great to see so many friendly faces in the Cafe.

Thanks to all, and very best wishes.

Another action packed edition of the FNRttC, with added sound effects from exploding tyres to boot. I enjoyed the route, even though it felt a bit tougher. Good job the weather held OK.

My throat feels a little hoarse not just from shouting "All up" a few times, but also from laughing so much this morning. However, I'm sure some other participants will be feeling rather delicate later on. :hello: :tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Good to see everyone again. My work ethic told me that I didn't deserve a drink, not having ridden, but my feeble principles were soon replaced by some better ones.
Much fun and banter in the 2 venues and shining wit as Spooner would have said. :biggrin:

I hope to be fit enough to do the next one.

StuAff

That was great, simply for the reason that having a new route makes it an adventure, even if that does involve running the gamut of Sutton town centre on a Friday night closely followed by the sobering sight and sound of someone with a poor penis to wallet ratio trying to get the back end out in his Aston Martin on the the A217. It will all make one love the classic route even more next time we take it.

We were also extremely fortunate with the weather, which helps. Unseasonable mild, not too wet and, except for a short stretch near Pyecombe, the wind was no problem. Of the Warninglid variation, Grouse road was the standout feature, a delight. (I crossed it on foot a couple of weeks ago with Mrs C) The descent and climb at Hammer Pond would have been a delight but didn't work out that way. I'll just say damn fixies, If the good Lord had intended us to struggle up hills he would never have inspired Tuillo Campagnolo to invent the derailleur. it was only a temporary setback though because the ride was one of those with much more downhill than up.

Once again those people who feed us excelled themselves, both at The Cabin and The Mornington Madeira, so virtual rounds of applause/pats on back all round there. Without these cheerful and helpful people we would be reduced to packing sandwiches and flasks of tea, which leads me on to

Carradice. I have never seen so much of the stuff on one ride before. Should I get some? Would a green zipped roll with honey straps compliment The Carlton, or would it make me look a bit of a dick? (If the answer is "you do anyway", a pm would be my favoured method to receive the surprising news)

Antonia bearing fizz was more than welcome. I just hope that they kept back some of the money raised for more core activities. Rich and Mrs Rich bearing more fizz were even more welcome. It was so good to see you in such good shape and in such good spirit.

After a rather needed snooze, which meant that England's victory over Samoa passed me by, I rallied enough to rejoin the fray only to see Palace robbed by some frankly astonishing refereeing decisions. Oh well, what did I expect?

A small confession. I claimed a full attendance for the year. This is not strictly true because I bailed out at The Cabin in February fearing that I would be late for a furniture delivery.

To those of you that I don't see in the meantime, until March. Thank you all for some great times.

Carradice? Makes you look like a (cotton) duck :smile: Might use my SQR Slim for an FNR some time...

StuAff

A post which captures the spirit of the thing, as good as I ever read.

+1

martint235

Dog on a bike
Good to see everyone again. My work ethic told me that I didn't deserve a drink, not having ridden, but my feeble principles were soon replaced by some better ones.
Much fun and banter in the 2 venues and shining wit as Spooner would have said. :biggrin:

I hope to be fit enough to do the next one.

Rich, it was really good to meet you (again!). I hadn't said hello in the cafe cos you were quite rightly centre of attention so I did feel a bit guilty when you came out to wave me off for the ride back home.

I really hope the hip beds in, and I'll chat to you on future FNRttC (and you never know SMRbtH)

M

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Twice before I've planned to take the Warninglid Variation and twice I've wimped out. Four minor offs on a decent night probably militates in favour of future wimpery. It's a great daytime ride - in contrast to the Turners Hill route which, Sunday mornings aside is pretty horrible - and I might be tempted to go that way in summer when the second half is in daylight, but it's probably stretching it for a night time group ride in the dark.

And there's no Beacon. I was surprised by the number and variety of riders who regretted not going up the Beacon. Now there's perversity for you. The point is taken, though. However much we groan up that hill, the view from the top makes us feel pretty good about ourselves.

Hanging around at the front gives one a rather restricted view of proceedings, but from that vantage point the ride up to Sutton went pretty well. It wasn't until we reached the beginning of the dual carriageway that I realised that Slo'mo' was not his usual self, and there was a bit of hanging about on what is, by night, the main drag down to Gatwick. The flatness of the road to Headley afforded him some relief, and although I'd made arrangements to have him put up for the night by the time we reached Betchworth he felt he could carry on.

I did have fun waiting at the bottom of Pebblecombe Hill with Mike. People had obviously enjoyed going down Pebblecombe, and had wide grins on their faces even as they slowed for the b*****d level crossing that had me off in 1973 (I was never a man to hold a grudge...). My plan was to let the front of the ride rip along from Betchworth, although that involved keeping pace with the Speedskaters and Origamist, which was a bit beyond me. Stilll, we bounded along through Newdigate and Rusper at a jolly rather than a racing speed and they, the Speedskaters and Matt, reached the Cabin just after three o'clock; I took up station at the mini-roundabout in Faygate and marvelled at the lights coming down the hill - once again Nigel takes the prize for his luxtastic 'Third Encounters' rig, but somebody, I think it was Tim D, was giving a fair impression of the Rio Carnival. Although Slo'mo' was clearly feeling it, we were all in the warm by 3.40, which is perfectly respectable.

I'm grateful to Martin for volunteering himself as longstop at the roundabout on the A264. I thought 'turn left at the main road, you've got a quarter mile to go' was straightforward, but I've clearly got to open up a new page in the risk assessment for 'Catseyes' Affleck.

So, I decided we should go for it. And we did. And the boys and girls did well. There are stretches of that route that are simply difficult to follow, however bright your lights (Davy's Barnes Wallis Bomb routine was done in the rain, when we could see next to nothing...) and I know that some of you found it a bit stressful, but we all made it to the A281 without lasting injury. Be content, by the way, that words will be had about some sketchy overtaking....

There followed a mechanical interlude, and then another, and then another, and those of us at the back didn't get to the Madeira until half past seven, just before Antonia, Our Lady of the Sparkling Water came bearing a case of fizz which seemed to sooth all ailments and loosen a few tongues. Then Teresa came along accompanied by the Old Retainer, and more bubbles made their way in to the bloodstream. I'm afraid there might be pictures of yours truly having a power nap, but, by way of reminding you all of the friendship that is at the heart of the FNRttC I thought I'd start proceedings with this...

adrianandclaudine.jpg

So, as ever, thankyou to all those who laboured at the back, especially our 'Chef de TEC' Adrian, and to those of you who took station at the front, not least Frank of the Frozen Feet and Tanya who registered late with a promise of much wayfinding, and, bless her, volunteered time and time and time again. A particular thankyou to Peter for turning up for the first time and immediately taking the Order of the Tyre Levers. By way of introduction he told us that he'd steered a dozen teenagers along a LEJoG, which was, I'm afraid, just asking to be taken advantage of.

So, that's it, for 2010. Thirteen rides, close on 850 miles, and perhaps 500 riders, some, like Adrian, coming out month after month. The Martlets thing has got itself up and going, and next year will probably see me trying to work out how to keep the character of the monthly rides as inclusive and friendly as they can be. I'm looking forward to Blackpool and South Wales, and to all those runs we've made our own, and I'm hoping that you are too.

ps. The 'Teefster has a multi-tool, ownership unknown. If you're missing one, do please get in touch.

rb58

Enigma
So, that was 2010. My induction into the world of FNRttC-ing.

I came to cycling late having decided four or five years ago that my aging body was beginning to rebel against the running I'd rediscovered after several years as a couch potato. I've tasted several bike-based activities since then. Sportives, big charity events, commuting, club rides, long solo weekend rides. I even did the CTC Tri-Vet this year (Yes, I am that old, unfortunately). But nothing compares to the satisfaction and feel-good factor you get from a FNRttC.

My inaugural FNRttC was Southend in the spring. It was slow, wet and incident filled. Far from putting me off, the bug had bitten. And with three other newbies (including DeckerTim), I also completed the SMRbtH. In fact, of the four of us on that ride, only one has not returned. [I should also add here that I have a 100% record when it comes to the SMRbtH]

The Graveney Marshes dash; the mist rolling over the hedgerows on Lonesome Lane; a flint path; and those moments when I find myself alone with the silence and my inner-most thoughts (steady!) are all lifelong memories. But it’s the people. The selflessness. The camaraderie. The encouragement. The organisation. The humour. The determination. That’s what makes these rides truly memorable. They are indeed a “romance and an adventure”.

So, to Simon and all of you I’ve met, thank you. Have a great break and see you in 2011, if not before.

A special call out this time to Martin and Rimus, who accompanied me – or better put as ‘waited for me’ – on the ride home yesterday morning. I was beginning to suffer on the way back and was slower than usual in several places. I now know why. I have awoken this morning with a streaming cold, a temperature and a chest that feels like there’s an anvil pressing on it. So I claim illness as mitigation for holding you up. Honest!

I liked that route.
I liked all the rides I did.
Doing something useful with nights is far more interesting than dossing around in bed.
In an effort to acknowledge an award-winning effort, The Royal Announcement, the impending festive period, Mcshroom's pilgrimage...and all sorts of other things, I 'kandied' up the bike.
It was all going well at setup:

2qlwpyh.jpg

By the Madeira of Saturday morning, it had undergone a treemendous overhaul at Adrian's 'Salon des Refusetrees'.

2n1yzdd.jpg

Perfect!

Top Bottom