FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 19th November - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Must admit I've never enjoyed my commute route(s) - sort of the chunk between Colgate to Wineham depending on how many miles I want to put in - quite so much ever before. Riding with 'you lot' makes me really appreciate how lucky I am to be able to ride through such lovely and entertaining cycling country every day. The Hammerpond was doable in the spring on 70" fixed with fresh legs but gets harder and harder as the week goes on. Now? Well that's why I'm building a new bike. The joy of being such a bloater is I avoid Simon's 'teflon tyre' syndrome on the lanes around here ;-) (But if he ever takes us up Mallions Lane I may lodge a formal protest!

With the benefit of hindsight and good night's sleep the Golf Course Deviation has a lot to recommend it, the Col de Waterhall would have been a climb too far for a few I think and all it would take is one badly driven car and.... We ought to try the golf course on a clear night because the view is as stunning as the Beacon, albeit for completely different reasons. Perhaps we can tempt Simon even further west, through the Adur gap to hit the coast at Shoreham to roll into Brighton on the flat along the seafront?

Number14

Guru
33lzf4z.jpg

She also had electric feet warmers, with the batteries strapped around her ankles etc - apparently they were good for the sole.

I must apologise to the young lady. I thought they were her tags and she had broken her curfew!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We did the Adur Gap once and

- a thirty mile an hour headwind almost did for us
- the breakfast was such a lash-up that a lot of folk never came again

It was good to see you at Betchworth. I put people off joining en route if they don't know the score, but there's something quite sweet about early hours rendezvous.

I forgot to mention George. I called him at 11.45 and he'd just woken up. He set off from Fulham, we texted to and fro, and he caught the ride on the A217. Well done that man!

It was good to see you at Betchworth. I put people off joining en route if they don't know the score, but there's something quite sweet about early hours rendezvous.

I forgot to mention George. I called him at 11.45 and he'd just woken up. He set off from Fulham, we texted to and fro, and he caught the ride on the A217. Well done that man!

George 'early doors' :smile:

On a sartorial note, two of my favourite fellahs were sporting some impressive kit. Firsly that big coward Origamist - Matt, :biggrin: who couldn't stay for a recreational sharpener, thanks to an 'incident' :rolleyes: earlier in the week, was sporting a gilet (I thought that was no small measure of the man). Solo. It made him look like Napoleon a bit I suppose...

dc53z9.jpg

and, topping the catwalk for me, is Mistral - Mick, with an eye-catching top from one of my favourite jerseypeeps, Castelli. Retrochic and lovely (the jersey, not Mick - he's just lovely" ;) )

23usfuv.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif - Clark Kent

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

I'm struggling to see the connection between the two events. Mind you it often is windy down that way, that is for sure.

The pleasure was all mine. I went up as far as the level crossing, waited a bit, started to think, dang I've missed them, turned south,put the hammer down thinking 3:30 at Faygate, thought better of it after a bit and retraced my steps. In the stillness and velvet dark I heard what I hoped was you coming, except I suspect I could hear you gathering, voices carry on the breeze a long way off, I bided my time and then glimpsed lights through the trees, then came the foreglow and the rushing sound and bosh full on Close Encounters style disembodied lights in the sky resolving themselves into FNRttC. Up close and personal it is a very impressive sight. Marletts was all dribs and drabs. I got the full 10,000 watt lightshow.

Origamist

Legendary Member
A fitting finale to the FNRttC 2010 calendar.

Whilst the weather was very kind for a late November ride, I was still surprised that HPC was thronging with riders at midnight (has an end-of-season FNRttC ever been so well attended?) and was frankly amazed that there were a sizeable number of night-riding virgins who had bravely waited until late autumn before dipping their toe in.

I enjoyed the patchwork route - Sutton was not a problem as the drunks were generally friendly and supportive (the boozy denizens of Gravesend only seem to know swear words beginning with "C" or "F"), the section along the dual carriageway was thankfully dull and uneventful, the descent at Pebblecombe was exciting (some might recall my stentorian reedy warnings of potential calamity as I waited at the crest), I also have it on good authority that the train tracks have not claimed a cyclist since 1973. The route after Faygate was great, but I can see why it would not be the first choice for a group night ride. I enjoyed wending my way up the DD with Simon, until I was deployed about two thirds of the way up to keep an eye out for conflict between cyclists turning right and oncoming traffic (at the junction where the hill kicks up a bit) - thankfully, the only incident of note was me poking myself in the eye when a leaf stuck to my face.

I did a fair bit of wayfinding and tried to keep an eye on the enthusiastic speed skater bunch who always seem to ride à bloc. I also witnessed Luke heroically throw himself at a muddy verge in an attmept to justify some new bar tape and a jersey.

A few other memories: Adrian checking the time and failing to cycle in a straight line, Simon's dalliance with a mini-cab of doom at Mitcham, Mart's wonderful, festivally adorned bike, the sight of Rich P dressed like Bertie Bassett at Brighton, cases of proseco descending from on high, Charlie's excellent ginger (and pear?) cake, TC and Susie's break away at the double-deflation wait (I wasn't sure what was going on at that point), Lee's new stealth recumbent (hope you made it back safely)...

It was nice to meet Bruce who rode a fluoro fixed and Number 14 who was identifiable due to the helmet cam and chat to Bollo (all too briefly) who I had not seen since last November's ride.

My "told you so moment" - telling Martin at HPC that it might be a good idea to bail out at Clapham if his bronchi were still giving him trouble after 4 miles...

I instantly regretted catching the train home with Des (no offence, Des!) as I knew I would miss the great company and banter in the cafe and pub, but I had made a solemn promise that I would not touch another drop until December. I shall never make such a stupid vow again...

A big thank you to the TECs, aka the domestiques, sans pareil: Adrian, Adam, Tim, Teef etc who are far more patient than I could ever be. A final thank you to Simon and everyone who attends these rides as they are always eventful (usually down to Stu ) and hugely enjoyable.

Finally, in a moment of clarity on the train back with Des we thought that maybe a FNRttC awards night would be in order? You know, some silly categories, funny awards and an opportunity to have a get together in the new year?

Finally, in a moment of clarity on the train back with Des we thought that maybe an FNRttC awards night would be in order? You know, some silly categories, funny awards and an opportunity to have a get together in the new year?

Ha! ;) You mean kick off the party at, say, midnight (you can give the safety talk about the dangers of 'sherberts', Matt :tongue:) then, about 04:30, go for a ride for half an hour, then return to the fray until breakfast time, where everyone becomes sensible and goes home. Anyone who 'gets into difficulties' will be looked after and cured by a select group - the Tec 'ealers...

Thanks Simon for a great fnrttc! I've only done 3 but this was definitely my favourite so far - probably due to the lovely downhill bits, I think I may have even said "wheeeeeee" a couple of times (whilst in complete control of course
thumbsup.png
). I struggled a little after a hard week and a lively Thursday night but I'm so glad I didn't miss it! Can't wait for next year! The heckles on this ride were very amusing, although the unmarked police car seeing us across a rather large roundabout was a particular highlight
whistling.gif

The apres ride frivolity was great, although the bubbles and sloe gin did go to my head rather quickly! I did eventually wobble my way to my friend's house in Hove and after a quick nap we went out for a well deserved curry!

It wasn't just Simon that was caught sleeping . . . . .

20112010199.jpg

Top Bottom