FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 19th November - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
they are always eventful (usually down to Stu )

I don't know, one or two little incidents and I get lumbered with comments like this
whistling.gif

Ooh and a big thank you to McWobble for preventing my second clipless moment and 'teef and Luke for gallantly fixing the p*ncture I managed to get outside the cafe! And thanks to everyone that waited with me a the top of Devils Dyke while I chased the fairies away with a tasty energy bar kindly donated by Mr 'Teef.
The camaraderie on these rides it truly fantastic!
hug.gif

Wobblers

Euthermic
Ooh and a big thank you to McWobble for preventing my second clipless moment and 'teef and Luke for gallantly fixing the p*ncture I managed to get outside the cafe! And thanks to everyone that waited with me a the top of Devils Dyke while I chased the fairies away with a tasty energy bar kindly donated by Mr 'Teef.
The camaraderie on these rides it truly fantastic!
hug.gif

As much as I'd like to claim some chivalry brownie points I'm afraid my only contribution was an expression of befuddled bemusement as you expertly wedged your bike between the back wheel of mine and the kerb! :smile:

hatler

Guru
Mildly inconsiderate behaviour from my colleague (George) and me.

I set off from SW20 thinking I had oodles of time and dawdled up to HPC. Only when I got to Westminster Bridge did I see the time on Big Ben showing five to midnight. Eeeek !

Blatted from there, reasoning that faffing to get my phone out and gloves off would only slow me down and I could just about make it in time for the midnight departure. I managed to get there just as Simon was taking up his Canute position with the traffic, so was able to instantly take my place a little to his left to hold the impatient ones.

I promise not to be so laggardly again.

George managed to sleep through his alarm and did well to catch us at Burgh Heath (by the Shell petrol station on the A217 dual carriageway). I'll be having words with him tomorrow morning.

A fabulous ride. (I enjoyed it immeasurably more than my last full run. May ?? Peeing with rain, lots of mechanicals. I bailed at Haywards Heath having not managed to summon enough energy to strike up a conversation with anyone and become thoroughly miserable.)

Just the best way to spend a Friday night.

Thank you Simon and all waymarkers and TECs. The one thing that sticks out for newbies is the incredibly slick organisation on this ride. I can't help thinking that if I ever undertake another organised ride I'm going to be disappointed. Can't wait for next year.

And despite mini-hatler being keen to do one of these (Southend was mooted as the easiest) I can't help thinking we're at least a couple of years off that. He hasn't distinguished himself today following a late sleep-over last night. If that's how foul he can be with just five hours of sleep behind him, I would hate to think what he would be like if he stayed up all night.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Teef was heroically talking More Booze when we got to Victoria, and I made a forlorn but unusually sensible decision to do a runner while I could still make decisions of any kind. I sustained only one small drinking injury, and made it with only one piece missing (the trademark stripey buff!) to where I was headed.

Ah, so that's where you disappeared to! 'Teef and I went looking for you - we had visions of you wobbling your way through the London traffic (which is my job!). Glad to hear you made it back in (almost) one piece!

How's the hangover? :whistle:

redjedi

Über Member
Another great FNRttC, and relief that it was much nicer than last years finale.

I feared for the worst as I was setting off from home and realised that I hadn't charged the AAAs for my rear light. No problem I'll nicked the ones off my commuter as back up, except they weren't the back ups anymore as my main ones were dead. So crossed fingers and hoped they were last all the way, which they did on flash mode. Must be more prepared next time.

I enjoyed the new route very much, although I wouldn't be against tackling Ditchling again, but it was a nice change.

I also had a bit of a "Blair Witch" moment while TECing in the first half. In an attempt to coax Slowmotion along, I went in front hoping it would give him something to concentrate on, but realised this hadn't worked, when after a few minutes I noticed that the lights were no longer behind me, so stopped and waited for the others to catch up, on a very dark and quiet stretch of road.
5 minutes later and I could hear every rustle and twig snap coming from the bushes
eek2.gif
and promptly turned around to rejoin the rest.

You'll all be glad to know that the bike didn't suffer any long term damage after my little tumble, and will be back to her stunning self after I have given her a rub down with a warm sponge and some Mr Sheen
tongue-out.gif

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How far did the HPC stalwarts cycle, in real money or the comedy metric stuff, from start to finish? I only ask to refute allegations that I only did half the ride!

TimO

Guru
That was the end of my third year of FNRttCs, and a fine one it was indeed. The weather was amazingly mild for November, with only a little fine drizzle towards the end, I don't think we could have expected much better. Aside from the odd mechanical and fairy visitation, I think we also did pretty well with stops, so I got in with the last few at around 7-30, which I think was a good time. We've rolled into Brighton a lot later than that on some occasions.

It was certainly a novel route, and much as Ditchling gives a nice ride, it's also nice to occasionally change things around a bit, and go a different way. Whilst I was a bit tired after a long week, I didn't find the route too hard work, a bit up-and-downy in places, but no real hills to speak of. At one point I did find myself cycling along with no one else in sight, and not the slightest sound of another vehicle, person, or animal. It was more than a mite spookie!

As others have said, Sutton was erm... interesting! I also suspect that at one point we went the wrong way along a bit of one way, between two pedestrianised sections, but I don't think anyone was about to complain!

I met various people, some of whom I knew, other who I didn't. I also variously know people by name, both real and forum, very occasionally by both, and also sometimes by neither. :smile: I still think we need name badges! The turnout was impressive for a November ride, it's amazing how many people turn out for these rides, especially considering the comments that others make about doing this sort of thing!

The staff of the Cabin Cafe, the Madeira Cafe, and eventually the Seagull all dealt with us in very good manner, and variously supplied us with tea, bacon & egg butties, breakfast, and beer, all of which were very well recieved by me. The after breakfast apres-ride drinks were also very well enjoyed, as was the company, before eventually bimbling back up to the station were I ended up on a train by myself which wonderfully stopped first at East Croydon, so there was no risk of ending up barracaded into a carriage by a pile of luggage at Gatwick. I also managed to stay awake until the train arrived, but only just, a nice warm comfy train seat is far too soperific. Talisker was very happy to see someone who was capable of weilding a can opener, and I was almost as happy to see my bed and happily crashed out for a nights sleep.

I managed to take a few photos after breakfast, although I forgot I had a camera, so the first ones were taken with my phone which didn't deal with the indoors conditions very well.

Susie_SLB_Thumb400.jpg

Teef_Claude_Thumb400.jpg

TheLeader_Susie_Teef_Thumb400.jpg

All of my pictures are here.

My GPS recording of the route is on GPSies.

redjedi

Über Member
How far did the HPC stalwarts cycle, in real money or the comedy metric stuff, from start to finish? I only ask to refute allegations that I only did half the ride!

According to my GPS it was 59 miles or 95km

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
According to my GPS it was 59 miles or 95km

Really. That means I rode about 94% of the same distance as you, or quite a bit more than half. Thank goodness I didn't leave home until 01:00 else I may have ended up riding all the way up Pebbleswotsit :eek: Result.

It is odd. To a country bumpkin like me that HPC in that London seems a heck of a lot further away than twice the distance from home to Betchworth.

Thanks everyone for a great ride and the prize winning Simon for organising.
It was a first time ride for son Scott and he really enjoyed himself too and is keen to do another. It was nice to be able to ride and chat with him, which is a rare pleasure as he lives in Brighton.

Thanks to Martletts for the fizz and it would have been nice to stay longer for more drinking, but I had to get home to go to a party.

Looking forward to seeing you all in 2011. Have a great Christmas and new year.

I have a few photos here for you to view, hopefully you will spot yourself!

I love this photo as I think it sums up one of the things the ride is about; helping each other.

Tim D.

IMG_2485.JPG

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's also got a fabulous Rembrandt-like concentration about it, Tim. I may ask you if we can use it....

Top Bottom