FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 25th June to Felpham, near Bognor Regis 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Following intense discussion on the merits of romanticising jacket potatoes, stifling budding chefs' enthusiasm and "How to 'pull' on a campsite", the debriefing party then moved on to a light hearted chat about Masers and other scientific matters (I didn't know either...), admired how protected
customers of Gatwick Airport must feel, and for good measure, advised on the comparative suitability of internet dating sites.(And that if a bloke
goes on about Art Galleries and knows nothing about soccer (Association Football © Adrian, Bognor 2010) then avoid him like the plague etc..:becool:)
Susie was gushing in her praise for her new work colleague, among other things - lovely, smiling entertainment to help build the day.
Well - that accounts for about ten minutes of a post-ride acclimatisation course that took place on the terrace of the Sea Front Café. The sky was blue canvas for the sun's urgent heat. Hot? Yes! What happened for the other six hours - er...well. 'Eek!'

Plenty of the usual good nature on this ride once more - undoubtedly helped by a reasonable warmth. There were one or two cool spots - either side of the Cabin Café stop - that prompted a 'Brrr' or two, but once the sun had begun to peek through the trees after 06:00, we were 'set fair' for a pleasant arrival.

A quick 'turn up and go' is no longer enough to satisfy the lovers of the Night. 'Carbloading' has entered the vocabulary.
s6ol1s.jpg

Claudine's 'small' folded 'Pizza Carbaloda' (RRP about £4.50) at a place in the Edgware Road. A veritable haven for cyclists...or would be! "Super value!" - but that's another story. Tyre selection. The riding back route (Admission of past guilt - now cured). Further adventures to compound the weariness and prolong the enjoyment - long discussed and finalised prior to the 'Grand Depart'.
2h3yaro.jpg

Pre-departure, standard reflective photo. Tim H will be along soon, with better...

No need to be at the back this trip, and it was weird getting to the front at times and hearing a different group of people - a little pacier and it was easy to keep even warmth. Tim H and Adrian were foremen of the tecs - I know Luke had a puncture (but he was tec-ing part way so it doesn't count!) Chain drops don't count either so a rolling ride without incident. Good to see Tim back on board again...
316u9i1.jpg

Our most serious incident occured when Marin's bag had a blowout close to a petrol station. What are we going to do with this man?:becool:

14v30hu.jpg

Anyone who was 'flagging by Faygate' was in for a surprise as the cabin was Flagopolis Central. Everywhere! Not quite displacing the 50p 'Duralon' combs hanging just to the left of the counter, (Available in Congo brown or standard black), but partly obscuring the penned sigeage warning people off talking on mobiles while at the front of the queue. (Charlotte intimated mischief making...as if:evil:)

2i8akaf.jpg

Flagging, by George!

30j45na.jpg

I ordered a sympathetic sandwich.

sgprno.jpg

A little bit of mist to burn away as the sun rose - again Tim has probably manged to capture the gradation in better fashion - it was a nice 'feel' as morning rolled up its sleeves...

210bxv5.jpg

The Night Ride Stylists Kats and Jasper 'do' stylish in so many ways apart from their characters. Kats is suffering a bit from her strobe/rolling disco light I reckon!

Yob count: not much this ride - apart from odd stray staggerers (why can't these people wait until early morning to sit around and drink for heaven's sake - why do they have to start so early?) A few car-bound shouts and the group were left in peace to ride the night out of sight. Apart from Susie and Kats, who were interviewing each other on bicycles, and could be heard long before the 'strobe handbag' hove into view!

mcreiq.jpg

Arundel tipped its hat to us before the final approach to Bognor, and 'location, location, location' - all started to fall into place. (Sort the bar out proprietors pls.) I was well disposed. I didn't want to leave, actually. Does that mean I should go on holiday there I wonder?

On the subject of photos, Adrian commandeered my camera and advised me that I needed to be in a photo so
rhlk4g.jpg

But I had already got one of him - wrapped in Ghurka Bridge!
2lwunip.jpg

At breakfast - once the chips and beans and other solids were out of the way, it was nice to see Tim O, Adam, Adrian and Andrij relaxing a bit in company. Too Often, these guys are 'doing something' the moment we touch down and are away to the next thing. Also joining, trapped and induced into the vibe of night riding is everyone's favourite epidemiologist, Naomi.
Naomi obviously lacks the skills to thoroughly research stuff as she decided to join the 'table of fitness' with a classy, louche crew in attendance. And the rest is history. Repeated congratulations to 'Denise the Menace' AKA Cecilia.
95yhpj.jpg

Adam, Andrij, Adrian and User10571 grumble about the weather, while, at left - a glimpse of Naomi, bringing extra personality to the table.

2gt6wwo.jpg

Here, Cecilia is giving Luke tips on how to ride, when the sight of two Celeste Green bikes at the same time makes her feel quite nauseous!

Another train, pointing toward same old London. I had a flat rear tyre so replaced it quietly while others napped. As there were several depart points along the way, the group dissolved. We all said a mental goodbye though - that's the way it works! Claudine, in danger of going to work sometime soon, collected her panniers and we said ta ta. I headed for Hyde Park to soak up a last bit of atmosphere and it was rammed! A sunny carnival atmosphere - the cyclepaths solid with pedestrians made for a sure and careful ride. It was tempting to people watch and listen to the music by the concert area, but tiredness was my competition. I rode up and out of town. Alan 'popped up' from nowhere and I led him on a mini tour of London's potholes before eventually, he continued upwards to Chorleywood and I drifted to Eastcote, to clean my bike, drink some (more, cold) beer and replace an inner tube for Sunday's London ride.
I downloaded lots of photos and must have sat back in the chair with arms folded, to review and think...about an hour later I woke up :becool: and went to bed! Thanks for a nice night and day everyone. As ever, I hope you all found some nice quality to treasure on the Island of Night Ride.

One last thing. As we cycled 'blissfully' to the train station there was a man with an instrument to his lips, blowing us a salute as we passed by.
'Bugler Bognor'

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks for a very good ride. It was very hot all evening/day. It seemed a much more interesting route out of London with Parks and lit up bridges and Morden. The A24 through Leatherhead and Dorking was good and then the little wooded lanes through places like Rusper to Faygate. After light we were quickly onto smaller roads. We had a twirl round Amberley Village and a bit of a walk to Houghton and then a very fast pace back in to Felpham including places like Arundel. It was quite nice people saying hi a week later and the two cafe stops were very good. It was so hot outside felpham even at 8:30am that I didn't think there was much chance of riding back so I got the train back with a fair bit of help from others was convinced clapham junction was the place to be. After a lot of following Charlotte whizzing along on some complicated route and going through places I'd not been before I got to west london. On Uxbridge road just before I went off to Greenford Road a girl on a hot bike (I think it was a condor) said hi :smile:.

Anybody that went on last week's ride from up north massively missed out.

Also the riding at both ends got it up to over 100 :smile: which was a surprise.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Only FNRttC #2 for me (#1 infamous November Brighton run) but a top ride. Tip o' the hat to Simon, the TECs and waymarkers.

Thanks also to the lady on the 'bent (sorry didn't catch your name) who didn't laugh too hard at my pavement dive after my cleats had welded up with mud. Speedplays are excellent in many respects, but do not take well to hiking.

I've got two theories about the cross-country section of the ride.....

The first is that Simon has been secretly cashiered from the ranks of the CTC and, looking for a new home for the FNRttC, approached the Ramblers Association. To prove his loyalty, he was set the task of making 70-odd people go for a walk. The second involves a deal with the British Triathlon Association. Before you know it that walk will turn into a run, and the 'paddle in the sea' will be a 2km front crawl in full body suit. You mark my words!

matthew said:
Next time Simon I'm going for the flint path. I trust my 32mm tyres more than I like lifting my bike over kissing gates. Either that or I will have to invest in an exotic frame material and leave the saddle bag at home.

Me and 'Teef were only holding on to our Ti lovelies to stop them blowing away in the breeze!:smile:

Bollo said:
The second involves a deal with the British Triathlon Association. Before you know it that walk will turn into a run, and the 'paddle in the sea' will be a 2km front crawl in full body suit. You mark my words!

You could be right - 15th July FNRttC (assuming it's still on) states it's to Newhaven and Dieppe............

I think I've only got a 200 metre swimming certificate, so I might struggle.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Flying Dodo said:
I've only got a 200 metre swimming certificate, so I might struggle.

I've checked on wikipedia. 200m is more than enough to get you back to the surface. The trick will be in timing your breathing.

A couple of apologies from me. Firstly my lax waymarking that led people astray and meant more miles for some. Secondly for having to peg it straight back to London - I only just managed to squeeze the ride in between finishing work on Friday night and starting again on Saturday afternoon. There was no way that I was going to miss this ride though.

Some highlights - a FNRttC gnome sitting on railings at Tooting, the sunrise and mist, the walk across the meadow down to the river, getting to see everyone.

The return was route 1 straight back to London (I decided to give Leith Hill a miss despite it being on my planned route as the emphasis was now on speed rather than views). The A24 wasn't bad at all on the way back (apart from one cretin pulling a horse-box) until I got to Colliers Wood. The problem wasn't the cycle super-highway but I don't think it helps.

A glorious ride, I'm just sorry I couldn't stretch it out a little longer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
saoirse50 said:
Actually, I must admit, on this occasion those spirits were not being so kind- I had hit a very low threshold at that point- felt terrible, and the friendly voice in my ear was most welcome. The 17 per cent rise that I hardly noticed last year (it is short) felt like a mountain this year. Thanks for that short chat, Martin, my eyes were almost closing by themself at that point.

I don't know how he times his words of encouragement so well, but he's breathed life into me on a couple of occasions too on FNRttCs gone by. Great write ups too.

TimO

Guru
That was a great ride.
thumb_up.gif

Having got home somewhat later than usual, I only really surfaced from being zonked out this morning.

I did the Bognor ride last august, but it was amazingly sketchy in my memory, and along the way this time, I remembered some bits, and not others.

I can't say I'm a big fan of stiles, and preferred the flint path last time, but it did bring us past and through Arundel very nicely, and very scenically. My dislike of stiles is at least partly because my bike isn't made of soot, and likely to blow away in a slight draft, and because I've got a pannier full of tools, spares, and munchies, which admittedly doesn't help lightening the bikes. :biggrin:

After the ride, it was very pleasant to have breakfast in the sun, and then to partake of a bevvie or two.

Consequently, bits of my legs and arms which didn't manage to stay in the sun are now a little bit ouchie. The chatter, and chin wagging did however more than make up for the slight irritation of that.

Some pictures:

small.php?file=P1020390.JPG
Arundel Castle, a bit of Arundel, and some FNRttCers, from the bridge.

small.php?file=P1020394.JPG
A gaggle of riders riding away from Arundel.

small.php?file=P1020410.JPG
A brief wait at near the last turning.

small.php?file=P1020420.JPG
Adrian resting his eyelids, after breakfast.

small.php?file=SusieSimonTrain.jpg
Our leader, catching up on some zeds on the train.​

The rest of my pictures (albeit not very good) are here.

The recorded route is here:

Route Map on GPSies or

Route Map on Bikely (which seems to working a lot better now).

I think you should make a habit of the extended breakfasts Tim!
The Leaderbandage does look aggressive in your pic - did you notice it had the graffiti "Come on Ghana!" emblazoned on the inner seam?

Luckily, he has locked himself to the ever attentive Susie in case he gets 'lost in thought'. :biggrin:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
benborp said:
A couple of apologies from me. Firstly my lax waymarking that led people astray and meant more miles for some. Secondly for having to peg it straight back to London - I only just managed to squeeze the ride in between finishing work on Friday night and starting again on Saturday afternoon. There was no way that I was going to miss this ride though.

Some highlights - a FNRttC gnome sitting on railings at Tooting, the sunrise and mist, the walk across the meadow down to the river, getting to see everyone.

The return was route 1 straight back to London (I decided to give Leith Hill a miss despite it being on my planned route as the emphasis was now on speed rather than views). The A24 wasn't bad at all on the way back (apart from one cretin pulling a horse-box) until I got to Colliers Wood. The problem wasn't the cycle super-highway but I don't think it helps.

A glorious ride, I'm just sorry I couldn't stretch it out a little longer.

I have my doubts that your waymarking was lax- as has been seen on more than a few rides before, if someone wants to go the wrong way despite physical & verbal indications of the right way (and I've done both if I've felt it needed it), they'll still go the wrong way. And what a magnificent effort to fit the ride in!

thom

____
mcreiq.jpg

Mr Aperitif, you are a mind/stomach reader ;-)
Thanks all for a very convivial ride - a great mid-summer route, all the better for finding an elusive part of England that becomes little Switzerland in the dead of night.

Good on you Thom - bring more next time and "get to know everyone"! Bring your experiences to the table and leave your other stuff at home! :bravo:

angdc6.jpg

"Burp! That wasn't bad was it? I don't feel half as bad as I did when we were mucking about at that bridge. Let's all get saddled up and go for it and pretend we don't want to sit in the sun and dream our lives into tomorrow...:wacko:

Top Bottom