FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 25th June to Felpham, near Bognor Regis 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Anyway, enough of that.

Just about the best ride. Better perhaps than the Martletts ride earlier this year. The route was just brilliant. And the company equally so. Some old familiars whom I hadn't seen for a while and some new, equally delightful ones. And my young cousin, who sadly had to bail at Horsham - knee trouble.

An amazing range of conversations, from whether young ladies on very high heels can walk and talk at the same time, to the internals of a 3 x 7 hub gear via how to identify different riders. I didn't take many pictures as I wasn't feeling very photo-ey. There's this one:

IMGP3128.JPG

and a few more here

(edit: forgot this bit)

Chased a van down in Felpham, which had seemed to drive at the group. Came very near to hitting Brian I thought. 'Teef tried to grab my wheel too, as back up. Fortunately our ways diverged and I counted to 10.

I had to shoot early from the breakfast stop - I had trouble seeing due to hayfever and contact lenses and had a full day ahead. The station cafe was shut, but I got a crab roll from the baker over the road, snoozed on the 0930, home by 1030.

I watched you take the 'jaspervelo' shot - and I think the one of Charlotte, sorry - 'headbandage alert' - one, equally iconic.
Good on young Cecilia too!

Oh! And the oily legs must be "Pippsy" - no-one else has three-in-one legs. (I think). :wacko:

Mephisto

Regular
Warmest appreciation to dlzq for a new, exhilarating night-time experience. It is not every day that you wake up, blinking in the sunlight, to take breakfast by the sea with 69 strangers with whom you have just shared the exertions of the night. My thanks to all who made it a most enjoyable midsummer-night's dream.

Julesh

Guru
Aperitif said:
I saw Cecilia's left ankle too Matthew. I thought the same as you at first, but she assured me that it was because she had slipped from the pedal and caught her skin.
Two conclusions can be drawn from this: Dad's fault:smile:...to be rectified with cool shoes and pedals! (Attached to a nice Planet X Ti..."The Friday Night Rider's bike of choice :tongue: :biggrin:)
Girls are tuff. Well done Cecilia - I hope you are basking in the wrap of contentment that snuggles up to you after riding the night. Very impressive.

This would be OK if Dad could afford a nice bike - but unfortunately he has three kids all going "feed me, feed me" - and if I could get Cecilia to embrace cliplessness - which she won't :biggrin:

Having been accused of being a bad father in two seperate cycling forums (that I know of - I'm probably being slagged off in URC and the CTC forum too if I could be bothered to check) I have pinned her down and her definitive answer is.

Damage to right heel only - caught it on chainwheel. Both ankles were red and puffy looking but she says they are always like that after a heavy night:biggrin:

As she is 16, and away at boarding school, she's probably has lots of those and I'm glad I don't know about them :biggrin:

Anyway leave her feet out of this or she won't want to come next time.

TimO

Guru
350px-Rising-universe.jpg

As a related aside, the Fountain/Sculpture/Work-of-art in Horsham is known as the Rising Universe, or sometimes locally as the Shelley Fountain, since it was built to commemorate the bicentenary of the birth of the poet of that name.

Apparently there's an extract from his poem "Mont Blanc" on the fountain, although I didn't notice when we stopped to look at it.

Well done Tim, I had forgotten about that! :tongue:
That, and the LIFFE trader bronze at Cannon Street have provided me with a feast of sculptural vocabulary this time around...
Soon we will have the first recorded case of aesthete's foot on an FNR...

matthew

Julesh said:
Having been accused of being a bad father in two seperate cycling forums

Not at all, I have two younger sisters and know how hard it can be to tell them their clothing is not the most practical. I only ment to imply that Cecilia may choose different footware or socks next time.

Jasper the Surrea

Why did I think it was a memorial to Newton? Probably because it looks like an apple. My apologies to those I missled. I plead oldness in my defence. Anyway, Shelley lived in Broadbridge Heath.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok I've put off asking but now feel I have to. What/who/why are the mouseketeers?

I know I'm going to regret asking but there you go....:biggrin:

mistral

Guru
martint235 said:
Ok I've put off asking but now feel I have to. What/who/why are the mouseketeers?

Once upon a time you got a bike and cycled a mile or two
The two becomes four and then eight ....
Before long you find yourself halfway to Brighton and it’s 3:30am
You arrive, sleep deprived, well chilled and with leaden legs
Then some wag suggests riding all the way back
And you think .... that sounds like fun

The rest, as they say, is history

martint235 said:

I know I'm going to regret asking but there you go....:sad:

Mistral is right - it has become a badge of honour xx(
You should have asked this question on Sunday, Martin - could have bored you for hours! :smile:

Good question! We knew nothing, know nothing. ChrisKH was the gentleman, the rest of us trawled around more or less in the North sea with redundant bits of electronics dangling from our bikes. It was a series of learning curves formed into appropriate circles!

A peaceful jaunt is planned.
https://www.cyclechat.net/
Rough calculations are made

The debrief. We know that the A12 is a quick road. We know that Shenfield railway station kebab shop was knighted for services to cyclists and that arallsopp's GPS file makes a Spirograph drawing look infantile.
Debriefing starts around here.

Team bonding exercise nonpareil.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Tollers said:
Did Tollers' Dad make it on the ride (and back)? Or am i on my way to becoming an orphan?

Note to self.....I should probably ask dad before you lot!

p.s Vegas tomorrow.....by plane, not bike :sad:

Yes he did, and yes you should have asked him :smile:

Top Bottom