FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 25th June to Felpham, near Bognor Regis 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another cracker. Perhaps a little nippy in places for my short sleeves, but I'd have probably overheated in more layers, and I was comfortable enough most of the time. I had a somewhat easier time of it this year- having kept up the carb consumption through the ride, I didn't find myself flagging. That and being on a bike three or four kilos lighter......! Great route, think the cross-country walk was somewhat better than the chalk path of doom. Though I think George Osborne missed a golden opportunity for tax revenue... stiles....We made pretty good progress, despite those who managed to ignore Ben's wayfinding and go off-piste (typical- fastest rider wasn't able to chase them down!). At least half an hour quicker than last year's. Hardly any mechanicals, I think? Perfect weather, and breakfast at Felpham was lovely. And any ride that finishes in my vicinity has to be good....
Hearty congratulations to young Cecilia and all the other newcomers (not least to the gents on full suspension BSOs- must have been a good workout). Thanks to Clive, Marilyn & Brian for a delightful SMRatC (managed not to get you all lost! :blush: ) Just about passed the ton, as last year, for the 24 hours- will be out again later on just to make sure :biggrin:

zigzag

Veteran
great social ride and a good workout. everything was tuned well as always, and you couldn't ask for better weather. after a decent breakfast (4 eggs on 4 toasts + tea and cake) set off home and somehow arrived quite quickly. clocked up healthy 228km. big thanks to simon and fellow riders for making this event such a success.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
what a lovely (half a) ride, including the longest, slowest transition from Faygate to 'Sham Station of my life. But I dropped the two lovely ladies off (why can't I ever remember names?) and they were on a train to the smoke by 05:30, I hope their journey to Beckenham Junction was not to derailed by the engineering works, that we discovered would affect them in SE London when we looked on the map. Their plan was to get off at Norwood Junction and cycle on from there. I have a feeling we will see them again, once the FNRttC bug bites.

Lovely to see the regulars and meet new people and convert forum names to flesh and blood as always. Always a pleasure when a familiar face looms out of the gloom on a lane somewhere. Thanks to all who waymarked, TEC'd - bet you were bored, set the pace, and especially those who allowed me to suck their wheels across large parts of Surrey. Some of the yoof of Newdigate and district, normally regarded as 'boys racers' I fear, have a new found respect for cyclists based on the conversations I had with them whilst waiting for the tail.

and did you see that moon?

and can I just say.... I love my new bike. It's a far better bike than I am a cyclist.

Hmmm.... one dilemma though, do I risk riding with the intermediates in the morning or just pootle with one of the out-and-out social groups?

StuartG

slower but further
GregCollins said:
what a lovely (half a) ride, including the longest, slowest transition from Faygate to 'Sham Station of my life. But I dropped the two lovely ladies off (why can't I ever remember names?) and they were on a train to the smoke by 05:30, I hope their journey to Beckenham Junction was not to derailed by the engineering works, that we discovered would affect them in SE London when we looked on the map. Their plan was to get off at Norwood Junction and cycle on from there.
Took the 10.30 from Bognor. Sorry to the gentlemen who got on at Barnham - intelligent conversation was attempted but oblivion was a more attractive option. Anyway got back via Norwood Junction so the girls should be OK. Everything should arrive there. It was the line via Crystal Palace to Streatham Hill that had been bus-ified for the weekend.

Endless thanks to Simon, the wayfinders and the rather underworked TECs. A really wonderful ride only matched by Simon's verbal response when quoted the tariff rate for calling the cafe!

matthew

Now woken from a 4 hour nap having ridden home for 2:30pm and totaled 200km.

A great ride, two punctures (both at the half way cafe so no delays) and stunning conditions. Well done all the novices who seemed to all be in good cheer, particularly after half way when the sun was up.

Next time Simon I'm going for the flint path. I trust my 32mm tyres more than I like lifting my bike over kissing gates. Either that or I will have to invest in an exotic frame material and leave the saddle bag at home.

Now I just need to find the after sun as I will have a good set of cyclist tan line on my right side once the redness fades to brown.

I suspect that Cecilia will either persuade Julesh to buy her different shoes or wear different sock if she comes out next time. The backs of her ankles were rubbed red raw by the time we were going through the Arun gap.

I saw Cecilia's left ankle too Matthew. I thought the same as you at first, but she assured me that it was because she had slipped from the pedal and caught her skin.
Two conclusions can be drawn from this: Dad's fault:smile:...to be rectified with cool shoes and pedals! (Attached to a nice Planet X Ti..."The Friday Night Rider's bike of choice :becool: :becool:)
Girls are tuff. Well done Cecilia - I hope you are basking in the wrap of contentment that snuggles up to you after riding the night. Very impressive.

gbs

Guru
@SIMON, hope you saw the SMS that I sent from the train before dropping off - I was admiring Arundel Castle and Cathedral and woke up in Billingshurst.

At the risk of repetition many thanks and congratulations to you and yr team of wayfinders, stilemen. It was a great first experience for me.

PS VG breakfast

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a great night out in great company.

Thankyou for the message, gbs - I've just cranked up the phone and retrieved yours and a few more besides. And thankyou Greg for accompanying Fiona and Nikki to the railway station.

The night sky was a treat, the land looked lovely when the sun rose, the dawn mist was to die for, and the sea spent the morning turning a delicious turquoise.

The ride has fast roads and a country walk, and almost no traffic - we were in the ascendancy by South Wimbledon - and, other than the dreaded B2139 we barely saw a car all night.

And it was warm. I got chilled waiting by the side of the road at Faygate, but it was still a shortsleeves occasion.

Congratulations to those who went for a dip in the sea.

saoirse50

Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag
that's cos i'm afraid to be left behind and alone in the dark..

For me, that can be one of the best bits about the FNRttC- on last year's Bognor ride I was alone between two groups somewhere between Ashtead and Newdigate on that lovely road through the Mole Valley- beautiful moon (as last night) I turned my lights off for a few seconds and just freewheeled for a minute or so- magic. I've had a similar experience on the Dun Run. This year on an attempt to do the same- that annoying Aperitif rides up behind and starts nattering in my ear. Ruined my commune with the spirits of the night. Actually, I must admit, on this occasion those spirits were not being so kind- I had hit a very low threshold at that point- felt terrible, and the friendly voice in my ear was most welcome. The 17 per cent rise that I hardly noticed last year (it is short) felt like a mountain this year. Thanks for that short chat, Martin, my eyes were almost closing by themself at that point.

saoirse50

Veteran
Aperitif said:
No, Aperitif, your little sweet voice in my ear was exactly what I needed at that point- I was feeling absolutely terrible and you really helped pull me through a low point and made sure I stayed awake- I really think I could have fallen asleep on the bike otherwise, so absolutely no apology needed. Right place, right time. Thank you

Top Bottom