FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 25th June to Felpham, near Bognor Regis 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
dellzeqq said:
Susie took issue with the word 'flatish', and she has a point. The A24 route, branching off to Rusper, is pretty up and down, and going west through West Chiltington, a diversion made neccessary by the owners of Parham who won't let us go through their park for fear that we will scare the venison, does make for a more strenuous ride than Whitstable, now that we've cut out the first five hills.

The Cabin Cafe and the Boat House Cafe are expecting us.

I'm toying with the idea of starting the ride at Bunhill Fields....

It goes without saying that she didn't think a lot of the off-road section of the ride, but the alternatives, Bury Hill and the murderous B2139 (which was completely horrible for the short distance we were on it today) don't appeal. I've got a slick little route through Arundel, a bit of a touristy short cut in Horsham, and I'm toying with the Mickleham Deviation. When I first planned this route it took in Epsom Downs and Little Switzerland, but, realistically that's all a bit much. I do think that Little Switzerland might feature if we ever go to Worthing.

And for those of you who don't know, I've signed up Planet Sweet in Horley for the genteel ride to Brighton, which is fantastic, and Copthorne School for the Martlets ride in September, which is equally fantastic.

Susie was right- I thought it was rather lumpy last year (though my lack of carbs in the first part of the ride certainly didn't help- really needed the bacon sarnie at the Cabin!). I have done rather more climbing since then, mind...

Having done a quick Google, Planet Sweet sounds like an excellent choice.

BigSteev

dellzeqq said:
It goes without saying that she didn't think a lot of the off-road section of the ride

Silly girl! It's the best bit.

dellzeqq said:
I'm toying with the Mickleham Deviation.
Sounds like a Mornington Crrescent rule.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
BigSteev said:
Silly girl! It's the best bit.

Sounds like a Mornington Crrescent rule.
as luck would have it, BigSteev, I mentioned you this morning. Do you recall the whizz down the flat, straight bit of the B2139?

Does this mean you're joining us?

Stu A
Martin F
Andy C
Mark G
Ian A
John E
Greg C
Luke C
Ben P
Adam B
Stuart G
Pippa G
User10571 B
Tim O
Matthew S
Ross C
Clive B
Marilyn B
Claudine C
Chris H
Barry J
Adrian C
Jane D
Els V
Sean B
Sarah MacL
Paul R
Susie F
Adrian C (the second)
Paul R (an old friend)
Andrew B
Paul McN
Titus H
+1
Daneil P

StuAff said:
Susie was right- I thought it was rather lumpy last year.
She did also say that it was the best bike ride I'd ever taken her on.

The exit from London lacks the sweet quiet of Mitcham Common, and the delight that is Lonesome Lane, but, if it's a clear night and the moon falls on the hills flanking the Dorking Gap, we'll see a sight unequalled by anything on any of our other rides. The ride over the top of the Weald, through Henfold, Newdigate and Rusper is wonderful by night, but, equally, the B2139, the woods around Parham and our little tour of Amberley is a joy in the early morning light.

I warn those of you who are impervious to the charms of clematis and azaleas - this ride is not for you. And those who harbour a dislike of wisteria should stay away.

StuAff

dellzeqq said:

The exit from London lacks the sweet quiet of Mitcham Common, and the delight that is Lonesome Lane, but, if it's a clear night and the moon falls on the hills flanking the Dorking Gap, we'll see a sight unequalled by anything on any of our other rides. The ride over the top of the Weald, through Henfold, Newdigate and Rusper is wonderful by night, but, equally, the B2139, the woods around Parham and our little tour of Amberley is a joy in the early morning light.

I warn those of you who are impervious to the charms of clematis and azaleas - this ride is not for you. And those who harbour a dislike of wisteria should stay away.

Notwithstanding my exertions through the Surrey/Sussex borders last August, it would be one of my favourites too (for me up there with the routes from my trip to Wales last year, the 'classic' Brighton FNRttC route & the round the IOW- definitely not flattish, those..)
Architectural lecture replaced by horticultural perchance?

iLB

Hello there
dellzeqq said:
wayside chat on the mechanics of this marvelous erection!

who's needs maturity anyway? there is a pun in here just waiting to brought out at a later date :biggrin:

PippaG

Veteran
dellzeqq said:

Yes. I agree with Susie, who obviously has very fine taste.

The recce you did with User10571 last year that I shamelessly gatecrashed has got to be one of my favourite bike rides.

StuartG

slower but further
Just for the wimps (like me) returning by rail. You can make an advance booking now for Bognor to London for only £2.80 (with railcard) @ southernrailway.com

When stating your preferences look out for the tiny 'bicycle' marker. Click on that and you can make a free bike reservation. Might be helpful if we get a jobsworth guard.

StuAff

StuartG said:
Might be helpful if we get a jobsworth guard.

Reminded me of my trip to Wales last year. At Newport, train to our nearest station (Aberystwyth) was extremely crowded, on account of people heading to the Green Man festival nearby. Guard had to grudgingly let me on as I had a reservation. Funnily enough, my mate had his PX in a big bike bag & didn't get any hassle at all. Bike space was occupied entirely by luggage and me & the Viner ended up in the corridor between two carriages. Short journey, thankfully...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bognor worked well last time around - we all got away by rail in good order, although it helped that some people were delayed by beer.

Felpham's about four miles from Littlehampton, and less to Barnham. We'll probably ask for reports from Bognor railway station, and if a queue develops, ride east or north.

BigSteev

dellzeqq said:
as luck would have it, BigSteev, I mentioned you this morning. Do you recall the whizz down the flat, straight bit of the B2139?

Does this mean you're joining us?

Alas not, I am driving a van on our annual pilgrimage to Le Mans for the 24 hour Roller. Shame as that was a fun ride (and I don't run exploding Mich Pro 3 anymore). And I suspect that the July one will be out due to Dunwich :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
dellzeqq said:
Bognor worked well last time around - we all got away by rail in good order, although it helped that some people were delayed by beer.

Felpham's about four miles from Littlehampton, and less to Barnham. We'll probably ask for reports from Bognor railway station, and if a queue develops, ride east or north.

All (rail)roads lead to Barnham, so Barnham is the place to be.

Glad you saw the toilet cistern in action, in the 'Sham, as a town we are pretty flush innit?

Top Bottom