FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th February - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't left work yet and I've just found out I'm called in for nine tomorrow! However, I have cake and I'm going to use it, embrace the madness and get the first train back.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
at least you'll be dry Teef! You probably won't regret it on reading the ride reports.

The 2/3rds of one cake in my haste (tried slicing it when it was warm) has been reduced to mutant/falling apart slices. the other one should be ok-waiting for them to cool. RIGHT must get ready!

TimO

Guru
mike e said:
Pizza's, currie's, jam roly poly's....

There's going to be a few riders on here struggling with that little bump called Ditchling in the morning...:tongue:

Why? It's only a mile of 1 in 10 or so, with gears that's not particularly challenging. On the singlespeed, it's a bit of a bugger, but I'll just twiddle up with the Kaffenback.

I'm trying to decide how many layers I need. At the moment the sky is clear, and the forecast did suggest it would be a bit chilly at the start of the ride. Hmm...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Davy just seen your post. I hope everything is ok with you and bike.

I have just come back from the ride. Oh my, I really struggled with it and had to catch a train at Haywards Heath to get home. The others are probably tucking into/finishing breakfasts by now, I hope so, well deserved!

Will write properly later but for now, rain at 3:00am, torment of lack of sleep, psychologically and physically punishing, rain, hills, surprise hills, legless without the joy of inebriation- not the fault of the FNRttC but purely all me. Lesson: do not ride FNRttC when recovering/recovered from cold!

More later....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
sorry to hear that Grace. But a huge Chapeau for you having a go anyway. Henry woke us up at about 3.30am and it was tipping it down.not nice out there..so don't blame you for going home in the slightest.

ttcycle said:
Davy just seen your post. I hope everything is ok with you and bike.

I have just come back from the ride. Oh my, I really struggled with it and had to catch a train at Haywards Heath to get home. The others are probably tucking into/finishing breakfasts by now, I hope so, well deserved!

Will write properly later but for now, rain at 3:00am, torment of lack of sleep, psychologically and physically punishing, rain, hills, surprise hills, legless without the joy of inebriation- not the fault of the FNRttC but purely all me. Lesson: do not ride FNRttC when recovering/recovered from cold!

More later....

loz

Veteran
just home, thanks for the ride all. Weather was rathy gusty but fun all the same. Now in process of eating everything in fridge/cupboards

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm home and knackered, I knew I was out of shape but that wind just slaughtered me. I had to push for a fair bit of Ditchling, first hill I've ever got off and pushed on, on one of these rides:blush:. Bypassed the cafe, RichP kindly led me straight to Brighton station where the thieving train companies relieved me of £20 to go to Blackwater via Gatwick.

Others can do the ride reports, I was just concentrating on getting to the end. So much so that a certain MacB placed his gloves on the heater vent pipe/flue at the cafe stop. Said gloves are now in bin outside the cafe due to the big melted holes in them:blush: To be fair, when I went to get my gloves and saw that they'd been removed due to burning, I wasn't surprised. In fact I thought to myself, what sort of pratt would put plasticky gloves on a hot piece of metal.

Usual thanks to all and sundry and I think I'm looking forward to next months:biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
Just got home.

Sorry you couldn't finish the ride Grace, and that we didn't get much time to talk, next time, and you missed the best bit, riding walking crawling up Ditchling.
I'm definitely out of shape and I must put a compact on the bike :biggrin:

Not helped by my bottom bracket playing up and having to ride most of the way in the 54 chainring to stop the noise.

It was hard work, not as bad as November but close. Dry and windless next time please Simon :cry:

Tynan

Veteran
well done all, I came home on Friday like a bullet with a hefty tailwind and thought of you all

Ditchling not difficult?

Wow....i suffered too. At the top of Reigate hill I had a pyschological battle thinking will i make it. Sleepyness and possible start of a cold had me feeling weak and knowing that my warm parents place was just 2 miles away as too much of a temptation, so at 3:30am i clambered into bed, then cycled back up to London this morning and just got back (much easier in daylight). Ah well. Gave it a go. Will have to bring by bike back from the states to try again! :biggrin:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Grace, don't feel too bad...you made the effort, it wasn't to be....but there'll be another time. When your health is restored, you'll do just fine. And the banana cake was lovely, ta muchly!
I'm another one with (slightly singed) gloves. My lovely newish Northwaves now have a bit cauterised on the left one. But they still worked very well, even when they got really damp my hands stayed warm. Arctic Winters, highly recommended, provided you keep them away from high heat :biggrin:
To my mind, that was in one important respect worse than November- the headwind. By heck that was hard work. The first part of the ride I was wondering where it was, it hadn't materialised....then it did. Even the easier sections became ones where you had to put effort in to keep moving. On the run into Brighton I only had to touch the brakes for traffic lights.....! A good training workout for L2P if nothing else.....
And I got up Ditchling on the Viner, pleasantly surprised how straightforward it was and that I don't actually need a wider range cassette as I suspected. 34x25 proved up to the job, even sitting in the saddle with the usual fully loaded rucksack (D-lock, pump, hydration bladder, inner tubes, spare batteries...OK, it would be much easier without the lock). Helped by a comprehensive carb load at the greenhouses, mind (gel, banana, slice of fruit loaf, piece of Sig's cake- smashing again- and plenty of DIY isotonic). Even one of the first to the Madeira for once, no queing, hurrah!
As ever, kudos to Simon, TECs and waymarkers for a job well done, all and sundry riders for the splendid company, and the guys and girls at the Cabin and Madeira. Roll on March, that's going to be an experience and a half I think...

Top Bottom