FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th February - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ed!

dellzeqq said:
For all those of you who suffered in the wind and the wet and the cold, I can only offer apologies.
No way - totally not needed, well not in my opinion. This was my first fnrttc and as my friends could probably confirm (by the bazillion qs I would ask right up until the last hour), I was a bit worried about how it would be and whether I'd manage it.

In any case, it was an unbelievably brilliant experience and I really loved every minute of it (ok, maybe not the wind that greet me, 20 metres from the top of Ditchling Beacon). Yes the rain and wind were annoying, but as someone put it, it was "character building" :laugh: I would really like to do more, even if it does leave me a little broken for the rest of the weekend!

Many thanks to those involved with organising and running the ride - it was nice (and rewarding) to be able to give a little bit back by helping with some waymarking. I can appreciate that it's a huge effort and commitment to herd a bunch of cyclists for such a distance, and always with a smile on your face.

Apolgies for not making breakfast...having arrived a little later than expected, I had to rush back with some of the other Londoners to catch a few ZZZZs before babysitting my nephew :laugh:

Brigso

Just a quick note to add my thanks for the military like organisation from Simon and TEC's and wayfare markers, This was my first FNRttC and it was a memorable experience. The weather was tough, cold drizzle... lovely, Ditchling was tougher, I have done it once before and had forgotten the second last bend that looks like the last bend, arrrghh.

Finally got to bed 8.00pm Saturday night which made a 35/36 hours straight that was tough, but toughest of all was going to Watford v Newcastle on Saturday PM and almost drawing in the last 4 mins, (look the result up, I am not typing it...)

frank9755

Cyclist
My first one too, and I'd also like to say a big thank-you to Simon and all for organising and running this so smoothly. The weather wasn't great but it only added to the sense of achievement I felt on the final roll into Brighton.
Thanks also to the people I chatted to over the course of the night, who kept me entertained, amused and awake!

Brigso, glad you made your match, which I remember you mentioning at the last petrol station as it was starting to get light. I got to the rugby after grabbing a 3-hour nap, and after a couple or so beers afterwards, I slept very well last night!

Frank

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
redflightuk said:
Thanks Grace for the cake at Faygate, well done having a go when you weren't feeling your best and i hope you're back to full strength soon.

RFUK - where you there? Crikey didn't even register though I met you on the Southend ride...I was very with it at the Cabin cafe clearly!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
dellzeqq said:
I'm probably a bit greedy. Running a ride in February wasn't that smart an idea, but I did want to get back in to the groove prior to the Martlets ride. For all those of you who suffered in the wind and the wet and the cold, I can only offer apologies. In 2011 we'll wait a while, and perhaps put on more rides in the late spring, summer and early autumn.

Having said that it was fun of sorts. There are people I don't see between rides, and it was a pleasure to catch up. Tim H was splendid company at the front, and Tanya, Thom and Claudine waymarked tirelessly. The replacement wheel stood up, even if it made cornering a tad too exciting. Breakfast was a hoot, not least because my one sentence power naps added a slighly surreal edge to the conversation. Does Cameron really have a handlebar moustache? And did we meet the world's oldest hippy?

I think the Martlets ride was not going to be a sensible choice as first run of the year. A third more people that we've ever had before. And over half of them rookies. Possibly a high proportion on BSOs....No, yesterday morning, as inclement as it was, was a better way to start off the season. And in my case again forget the shorter way to HPC from Waterloo (!). Like November (which was on balance, still worse for weather), Dunkirk spirit was much in evidence. And continuous drippy rain was much better than the deluges then. My shoes did get wet, but my feet stayed dry...The route too. Ditchling's an evil bugger (ta for the company on the ascent) , but the views are much better than the scenic bike path along the A23 (I think?) that we did last time.
Missed the bit about Cameron, but breakfast was indeed fun.

More rides in spring and summer? Yes please. A slightly off-topic thought: How about a Friday Night ride round the coast (of the Isle of Wight)? 67 miles, not too hilly (well, lots of hills but no Beacons), quiet roads...This is not based on my proximity to a handy ferry port, honest :laugh:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I would have been one of many on the ascent of the Beacon to have recognised the sound of Ben's wheels just a little before he floated by....

TimO

Guru
A somewhat belated post for me. I had an unusual finish to my ride, since when I got home I found a rather ill cat. I normally leave him for 24 hours when doing these rides, and he doesn't really mind, since aside from his breakfast his other meals are dry food, so I just leave a full bowl for him.

I had to rush him around to the vets, and he was put on a drip overnight, and luckily has recovered now, but it meant I was panicing and rushing a cat around when I just wanted to hit the sack!

That was an unfortunately drizzly start of my third year of FNRttCs, but only the third wet one I've done, so it's a pretty rare occurrence. The wind did make it a bit of a slog at times, but it wasn't largely a head wind, but from the side, so it could have been worse. As others have said hitting the wind for the last few feet of Ditchling was a mite annoying.

I feel slightly guilty for only doing a minimal bit of helping for the first visitation, and no waymarking, but at times the ride did seem like a bit of a slog or me, although I was fairly comfortable going up Ditchling. The last bit after that felt a bit hard work, and even though it was largely downhill was still a bit of a struggle with the wind. Anyway, big thanks to ever for those who spent significant parts of the ride standing around waiting and getting cold.
thumb_up.gif

I traveled back to London with another chap, who I now realise I have no idea what his name is (here or elsewhere). I hope he managed to wake up when arriving in London, since he was nodding off on the train, even with my incessant chattering trying to keep him awake!

I've put the route up on Bikely. I realised why I didn't recognise bits of the route, since my previous two visits to Faygate and the Cabin Cafe have been for the Bognor ride, and the November ride, which went into Brighton by a different, non-Ditchling route.

Thanks as ever to Simon for again organising an interesting and fun ride.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Everything already has been said, but not by everybody. :tongue: This was my first FNRttC. In spite of the rain, the wind and the hills (accordings to my GPS we the difference in altitude was 904 meters) it was quite a lot of fun. To be honest I cursed myself a few times on the way, but - especially in hindsight :laugh:- I really loved it.

I was probably the only one who had his psychological low point arriwing at the Cabin Cafe. I was one of the last riders and saw all the other riders queuing outside. For quite a few seconds I thought it was an outdoor cafe...

What impressed me most was how perfectly the ride was organized. Simon, all the other waypoints and those who acted as the sag wagon - to did a great job. Thanks a lot!

I try to be on the ride in April (hopefully in better shape, then)
Olaf (the other recumbent rider)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
redfalo said:
Everything already has been said, but not by everybody. :tongue: This was my first FNRttC. In spite of the rain, the wind and the hills (accordings to my GPS we the difference in altitude was 904 meters) it was quite a lot of fun. To be honest I cursed myself a few times on the way, but - especially in hindsight :laugh:- I really loved it.

I was probably the only one who had his psychological low point arriwing at the Cabin Cafe. I was one of the last riders and saw all the other riders queuing outside. For quite a few seconds I thought it was an outdoor cafe...

What impressed me most was how perfectly the ride was organized. Simon, all the other waypoints and those who acted as the sag wagon - to did a great job. Thanks a lot!

I try to be on the ride in April (hopefully in better shape, then)
Olaf (the other recumbent rider)

Glad you had fun. Hopefully the tea and sandwich in the cafe made up for the queue (it does the trick for me!).

dellzeqq said:
And perhaps the wildest FNRttC moment of all time. Standing on the right turn at Coulsdon, pointing out the hole in the centre of the road. A recumbent tricycle approaches, at Amy Williams speed, all 37 front lights ablaze. It sweeps from the left hand lane of Woodcote Grove right in to Chipstead Valley Road, missing the far kerb by millimetres without flipping or skidding, when one or the other, or both, seemed inevitable. I watched, but could not believe. Never, ever do that again.....
I admit I did overcook that corner a little ..... :biggrin:
But I didn't get anywhere close to lifting the inside front wheel.
The trouble I had was the trike was being bounced sideway by the bumps which is why I got a little close to the curb.
After the I was more sensible down most hills and rode the brakes.

Ps. If you want to show the Martlets riders a very non-standard bike, I'll be happy to come along ........ :smile:;)

Luck ........... :smile:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you promise to behave, you're on! I think the tall bike/recumbent combo will make a brilliant photograph. Just so long as you're not zipping between his wheels at mach 2

Tim Hall

Phew. A busy weekend, but now my few words.

Things that stick in my mind:

That's the third time we've been to the Cabin Cafe. And the third time it's rained. Correlation does not imply causation, but it was a bit damp all the same.

Simon asking me to help point out the potholes down Lonesome Lane. So we set off at a goodly pace, with a half formed plan in my mind to screech to a halt at the hole and dance around, swinging a torch, like a Gendarme on Le Tour. And then I glanced over my shoulder - the pack were with us, breathing down our necks. Switch to Plan B - whatever that may be.

And then leading off towards the Cafe. Simon and a brace of Adams did the death defying rolling block thing at the back and I toodled off at the front, making "good progress" with Tanya, Thom et al. "Mark the junctions you think need marking" was the final instruction, so I started dealing out human signposts at every roundabout. And looked behind to find our breakaway was dwindling. Feeling a bit like Napoleon invading Russia as supply lines were stretched I counted the remaining roudabouts and remaining riders and did a sum. Just enough.

A bit cold at Cuckfield as we waited. I had a snooze sitting by a petrol pump.

A few star jumps at Haywards Heath to get warm and to get funny looks.

Leading off again with the everso speedy Tanya as we headed to the Greenhouses. She's fast. Very fast.

Chatting with anyone. It's such a friendly ride.

Tired legs on Saturday evening.

Photos are here,

Top Bottom