FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th February - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
Just had a look at the Beacon elevation on Bike Hike. Well done you lot! It looks like a killer from here. 500+ feet in under 1 mile, hells bells. :laugh:

mistral

Guru
This was a real toughie, again.

It's clear I've not done anything like enough miles over recent weeks as this one really took it out of me.

It was good to see some of the regulars again and get back into the best way to spend a Friday night without a doubt. Regardless of the elements and the (too) numerous chilly stops I was in good spirits until the section of undulating B2112 into Ditchling, my fatigue and the headwind knocked it out of me. MacB left me and despite words of encouragement (thanks Des) I was left on my own before a brief regroup at the Greenhouses.
At this point I was convinced I would be walking much of the way up. To my surprise I found some strength and through gritted teeth hauled myself to the top without putting a single foot down.
The wind again did the business over the south downs, but the drop down to civilisation was exhilarating – maybe that was just the thought of food and nice cuppa!
Thanks to all for making this happen and although demanding, as usual it was thoroughly worth all the effort.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
IMGP1294.JPG
picture.php

Separated at birth?

I like Stu's idea of a FNRrtIoW. Mid-summer would be best to take advantage of the views during the short nights and it would avoid some of the holiday traffic issues on the military road that caused hassle during last year's Randonnee.

TimO

Guru
Tim Hall said:
... "Mark the junctions you think need marking" was the final instruction, so I started dealing out human signposts at every roundabout. And looked behind to find our breakaway was dwindling. Feeling a bit like Napoleon invading Russia as supply lines were stretched I counted the remaining roudabouts and remaining riders and did a sum. Just enough. ...

I must admit, going along that bit, I knew I wasn't far from the front, and there seemed to be a lot of waymarkers who I knew would be there for quite a while, I was wondering if they would run out at some point! That is an odd bit of the ride, busy roads, lots of roundabouts, and you're looking forward to the cafe, but probably starting to wear out a bit. I guess there's no easy way to avoid it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, thanks a lot to all the waymarkers. Having done it a couple of times only, I know it can be a bit lonely and even worrying, you can start to wonder if the entire ride has gone off another way, or you've somehow missed the end and been left in the middle of nowhere by yourself. :wacko:

Tim Hall said:

Those remind me of a couple of things. The top tube reminded me of that frame, which looked very cool, but I can't for the life of me remember who was cycling it. That probably says something bad about me, if I can remember the bicycle, but not the rider. ;)

At the greenhouses I wondered why they are like that? The fences, plants around there, and grass are all well tended, but the greenhouses are just massively overgrown, and look like they could do with demolishing. A bit odd. :angry:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Tim Hall said:
That's the third time we've been to the Cabin Cafe. And the third time it's rained. Correlation does not imply causation, but it was a bit damp all the same.

Unless my memory's failing me, it's two out of three- I don't think it rained on the Bognor run..?
Great photos again Tim.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mistral said:
Priceless, although this visually sums up how many of us were feeling by the top of the Beacon!

IMGP1294.JPG

christ, I knew I felt bad nice to see I looked as bad as I felt, I think my eyes have got rucksacks under my usual bags.

I weighed myself this morning, 29lbs heavier than the last time I did a night ride, and 14lbs more than on any social ride I've done:ohmy: I think it's time Porky the Pig stopped wearing a trail to the fridge again:biggrin:

Mistral, what do you mean MacB left you? We'd been drafting behind you so I thought it only fair I took a turn leading you, the idea was you tuck in behind. By the time I realised you hadn't tucked in I wasn't in any shape to drop back....sorry mate...I think you probably realised I wasn't faking when you saw the state of me on Ditchling.

I also have vague memories of a garbled conversation with TC, though it's not too clear in my mind at what point of the ride. I think she was just making general chit chat, something about how fast someone was. From where I was 'slumping' everyone looked fast. To be fair my inability to be my usual garrulous self may well have been a relief to manysome.

Quite surprised by how unclear the whole night remains in my memory, not had that before. Didn't enjoy it either so will be a fitter, and slightly less fat, bloke on the March ride.

ps. Bollo don't think your names not in the little black book for that one mate:biggrin:

StuAff

TimO said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, thanks a lot to all the waymarkers. Having done it a couple of times only, I know it can be a bit lonely and even worrying, you can start to wonder if the entire ride has gone off another way, or you've somehow missed the end and been left in the middle of nowhere by yourself. ;)

Hear hear. The couple of times I did it last year, Whitstable in particular, some of the gaps did seem rather long...The opportunity to hammer back to, or through, the peloton was nice though :angry:

Andy84

Veteran
Hi all,

Another first-timer, and I'd also like to say thanks to Simon & co for organising such a well run event. Despite the weather (and ditchling) it really was a great night out.

Last week I found it hard to explain to family & friends why I thought it would be a good idea to meet up with a bunch of people I met on the internet, and let them lead me out in to the countyside at night!

Well now I can tell them

*Despite being at night, and having bad weather it was probably the best run bike ride I've ever been on.
*It was a ride full of 'normal' people who encourage each other all the way, and ensure no-one gets left behind.
*Riding without cars on the road feels brilliant.
*You can go to a cafe at 4am.
* And most importantly, nice ladies give you cake!

I had been a bit concerned about me level of fitness, as I haven't been out on a decent ride since new years day, I was also worried when everyone was turning up in tights, and I felt like the odd one out (wearing tracksuit bottoms!) but I was soon made to feel part of the group.

I started off quite well and was feeling confident, then the hill at chipstead really took it out of me. Along the narrow road at the top I remember feeling really tired and all I could see was flashing red lights in front of me, I had a couple of 'was I just asleep' moments along there!

The cafe stop was a welcome break, however I must have spent too long trying to dry my gloves with the air-dryer! because as I walked out side, I could just see the last of the flashing lights crossing the road, and it was just the tec's outside waiting for me, it was hard work trying to catch everyone up, and it took while for my legs to get back into the swing of things.

If I had known that some people had caught the train back from Haywards Heath, I think I would have joined them - the following few miles knowing that Dithling was just up ahead were horrible.

At the bottom of Ditchling it was nice to see that people were waiting again, Sig gave me a much needed peice of cake, then up ditching I pushed (literally) - at the top a quick phone call to my dad to let him know I was safe and that the 'strangers of the night' were actually a really nice bunch of people. Then down to Brighton for a good sausage sandwich!

Sorry If i don't remember every ones names, but it was nice to meet Steve, MacB and Sig who were all very nice and helpfull throughout the night.

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing everyone at the April ride.

Andrew H

Edit - Sorry I hadn't realised that I had typed that much!

adamski

Guru
Well that was an interesting ride. When I got into London around 9.30pm it was a lovely evening, with the moon and stars visible in the sky. I knew the forecast was for rain and headwind, but I was hoping that the forecast would prove incorrect. D'oh.

I headed down from a friend's flat in Islington and meet up with the St. Pancras crew for a pleasant cycle across to the start of the ride and the look of surprise on Simon's face when we didn't initially recongised the bearded version of adamski.

The rest of the ride was a combination of rain, head wind and punctures! I was very thankful I'd packed a spare jersey and extra gloves. Despite that it was good to catch up with people again and a chance to chat to new folk. I haven't been to Brighton since Nov. 2008 and I'd forgotten how much pain fun Ditchling is ;). The next chance I'll get for a FNRttC will be May and if I do opt for that ride I hope the weather will be better!

I'd have liked to have stayed for breakfast in Brighton, but I had a train booked for just after 9am, so headed off to the station with a few other folk. I had a nice kip on the train; got back to my friend's flat to be fed breakfast. I then relaxed a bit, headed off to the pub to watch the England game (what a waste of time that was!); dinner a friends house; leaving drinks for another friend; and finally bed at midnight!

Oh, and I just remembered that someone who was on the same train as me broke their chain just as they were leaving Victoria station. Did that get sorted OK?

StuAff

Andy84 said:
Edit - Sorry I hadn't realised that I had typed that much!

No need to be sorry, plenty of longer posts on here. And it's great that you, like the other first-timers on here, enjoyed it so much. 'Normal' people? I think we'll take that as a compliment ;)
Fitness comes with regular riding, so you certainly did well under the circumstances. You'll be better prepared by the time of the April ride..With food and drink, little and often is the best course of action- if you have something carb-loaded Friday evening a couple of hours before (eg a bowl of pasta), take bananas/malt loaf/flapjack etc plus liquid refreshment of your choice, and keep munching and drinking regularly through the ride, you'll be fine.
Ditchling will still be horrible though. You'll have the gearing on the Tricross to get up it, it takes determination, a steady effort, and quite a few calories (Sig's cake never goes amiss!).

redjedi

Über Member
Tim Hall said:
Simon asking me to help point out the potholes down Lonesome Lane. So we set off at a goodly pace, with a half formed plan in my mind to screech to a halt at the hole and dance around, swinging a torch, like a Gendarme on Le Tour. And then I glanced over my shoulder - the pack were with us, breathing down our necks. Switch to Plan B - whatever that may be.
After all the long breaks any increase in speed is always welcome, and with a warm cafe beckoning, never turned down. :angry:

And then leading off towards the Cafe. Simon and a brace of Adams did the death defying rolling block thing at the back and I toodled off at the front, making "good progress" with Tanya, Thom et al. "Mark the junctions you think need marking" was the final instruction, so I started dealing out human signposts at every roundabout. And looked behind to find our breakaway was dwindling. Feeling a bit like Napoleon invading Russia as supply lines were stretched I counted the remaining roudabouts and remaining riders and did a sum. Just enough.
;)

I'll admit that I was in the ever decreasing pack behind you. I was watching as waymarker after waymarker got left at roundabouts and was hoping, being so close to food and tea, that they didn't run out before we got to the cabin. As prepared as I was to signpost, I've been the one on the last junction before a stop before, and it's not the nicest of feelings.

I'll be one of first in the queue to mark a junction next month though. No matter where we are.

:bravo:to all the hardy souls who had to stand around in the rain and wind waiting for everyone to pass, before racing to front to do it all again.

StuAff

redjedi said:
After all the long breaks any increase in speed is always welcome, and with a warm cafe beckoning, never turned down. :angry:

;)

I'll admit that I was in the ever decreasing pack behind you. I was watching as waymarker after waymarker got left at roundabouts and was hoping, being so close to food and tea, that they didn't run out before we got to the cabin. As prepared as I was to signpost, I've been the one on the last junction before a stop before, and it's not the nicest of feelings.

I'll be one of first in the queue to mark a junction next month though. No matter where we are.

:bravo:to all the hardy souls who had to stand around in the rain and wind waiting for everyone to pass, before racing to front to do it all again.

+1. I haven't waymarked on the last couple of rides, but I did enjoy doing it on the couple before that. I'll try and be in the right place in the peloton....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
three out of four, Stu. Three Brighton runs, all wet (first in June '08), and the Bognor ride which was, iirc dry.

StuAff

dellzeqq said:
three out of four, Stu. Three Brighton runs, all wet (first in June '08), and the Bognor ride which was, iirc dry.

Thanks. Two out of three I've been on, anyway.....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Well - I must admit I found that a fairly tough ride. I'm relieved to see hardier, speedier souls than myself saying the same thing. It's going to sound like a mad Welsh thing, but I rather enjoyed Ditchling Beacon - not because of any masochistic tendencies but because the whole thing is one big f**k-off windbreak. Sorry tt that you had a bit of a rough time - carrying a tonne of banana cake can't have made things any easier. Thanks though, and to Sig for her cherry/almond boost up the Beacon. Good to catch up with everybody after the winter break, especially Rich who I hadn't seen since the "Genteel". Teef and MikeE were missed, of course. Nice hanging around aimlessly by the strange glowing heaters drinking too much coffee in the Madeira with Adrian, Adam and Simon. The Cameron thing was hilarious - a bit like a scene from P&L. On the way back our fearless leader was verbally abused by a short-fused grumpy cyclist-hater who happened to work for Southern Trains. I thought he hadn't suffered enough, so briefly threatened to bore him to sleep before rejoining Adam, who will testify that I made a very small solo effort to keep the Lushketeer flame alight with a bottle of Horsham ale from the on-board trolley. Cheers!

Top Bottom