FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th February - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
What a ride!

Inauspicious start in coming straight from work and bypassing The Dripping Tap; usual suspects from the Bromley Massif failing to make an appearance. :laugh:

Soon reached town though, and tagged onto the back of Simon's troupe on the approach to HPC. Familiar faces greeted me at the arch, and was pleased to note two other bents (a trice and HPV grasshopper) in the pack. Rode out in Grace's very pleasant company, and whilst self preservation seems to have denied her recollection, she was actually full of smiles :smile:

Weather reports promised us clear skies until 3 am, and delivered to plan. From 3 onwards, we got wet. Many mechanicals, all swiftly dealt with, but sheer numbers made the progress of the pack erratic. Spent a good 15 minutes with MacB +1, marking a corner and watching TEC lights circle one unfortunate soul. Every time we got a matching set of whites, one would go red, turning back for another go.

Was very glad to reach the dual carriageway taking us South West from the airport, as this meant we were finally lined up for the cafe. Made a mistake here, by telling poor Grace the cafe was on that road, but omitting the many roundabouts and miles that still separated us. Sorry.

The cafe was warm and inviting, TT's cake was shared, and Rimas joined our table. Those who've read the LEL write up will know he and I have prior, so it was very good to catch up with him again. Considering the circumstances of our last outing, we were comparatively fresh and dry.

Routemarkers and TECs were (as ever) brilliant. Spent a little more time with the TECs on the next leg, when suffered a spontaneous deflation of the rear. Combination of unwieldy bent + hub gear made the switch a little trickier, and I was very grateful for their dexterity and assistance. I think we peaked at 5 different pairs of hands on the same tyre. :smile:

All were surprised I'd managed to kill a schwalbe marathon, and yet none killed me when I explained it had over 8,500 miles on it. To be fair, the little front has the same, and its only 2/3rds the size :smile:

Discovered I'd never actually spoken to Des before, and that we shared a sense of humour. He tells me he's considering joining something called a 'day ride'??? Sounds interesting, but I'd have to see one before I could commit. Many giggles over my inability to fix anything, and cheerful thoughts of next month.

Fixed and flated, I caught the pack at the greenhouses, just after the first few had set off for the summit. Couldn't find TT in the group, which gave me a bit of a guilty pang. It'd been a while since I'd been in the fray, so was a little out of touch. Cracked open the seashell chocs and added a Sig cake chaser to get me up the beacon. Weather began to clear as we climbed, giving the views that make the FNRttC so worthwhile.

Given our late arrival, there was talk of bypassing the Madeira and heading direct to the station and bed. Des talked me into a cup of tea, which became a breakfast, which saw me snared by Rimas, who I then followed home.

131 miles on the clock when I got in, for an (eventual) rolling average of 13.1mph. Spent the afternoon and evening with family, then sought a pillow somewhere around half nine.

Now... there must be a video around here somewhere... ah yes, here it is.

TimO

Guru
LOL, I didn't realise that the Chipmunks had done a cover of Jem's Just a Ride. :laugh:

...and Simon.

thumb_up.gif

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
Thanks to everyone for the cakes and route marking. Another first timer here, happy to have got to the end without falling asleep on my bike. Hope to try that again with some easier weather and having stocked up on some sleep beforehand!

attachment.php

andyman

Occasional tandemista
Yet another Andy, yet another first timer

The trip down from Suffolk to do this was definitely worth it, albeit the weather conspired to make it miserable (it didn't work!)

Having to walk up ditchling was deflating but that can be put right with a couple more rides to head back towards fitness.

Thanks to all and hope to see you on the next rides

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Nice vid again Andy, think I spotted myself somewhere in that lot. And I forgot about the choccy seashell (my pre-Ditchling carb-loading was rather extensive, though it certainly paid off).

arallsopp

If anyone wants a still, give me an idea of what you're wearing* and the rough time code, and I'll try to post it. :tongue:

* 'Yellow waterproof jacket above a red LED' need not apply.

arallsopp

Glad to hear it Grumpy. Surely this would also be an ideal time to update your footer. :tongue:

mike e

Hey all, this sound's like it was another epic night and everyone got a bit wet but as someone on here has said "it's character building", Stu bangs on about carbo loading to some of the new recruits and he has a point, on the long train journey down from Hull I use this opportunity to fill the body with substance for the night ahead, I find a number of beers help to do this as they are full of carb's...:biggrin:, so long as I have a coffee just before KX I should stay awake for the night...

From reading on here and viewing the pics here's how some of the usual suspects faired:-

MacB - xx( the pic says it all
ttcycle - :tired: not her best night on a bike I guess
claudine - :cheers: no pub stop in London so a beer on the train...;)
Des - :biggrin: usual happy self

Sig - ;) with Sig on board this is not a concern

Andy A - :bicycle:even despite the crap weather clocks up respectable miles

And to all the newbies to the FNRttC......:tongue:

Hope this is another great year, see you all at the end of the month...

arallsopp

Cheers Rich. As I understand it, Harry Watt originally approached Jem and the Chipmunks to do the Night Mail score. Due to constraints of not being born for another 36 years, the job eventually went to Britten. Although admirable for its successes, his work never quite reached the falsetto brilliance of Alvin, Simon and Theodore.

hatler

Guru
Wet and windy.

After a long week (including a social at the minis' school where I was barman on the Friday evening), I wasn't in the best frame of mind for this one, and so it showed in the first half of the ride. I wasn't feeling sociable in any way whatsoever. Hardly exchanged a word with anyone before Faygate. Sorry ! Lots of solo drags into the wind and rain. The group shelter in the petrol station in Horley was probably the lowest spot. I was toasty warm when underway (except my face) but had little energy. A semi-snooze at the Cabin helped enormously (and of course the obligatory bacon sarnie and cuppa), and I came out able to talk.

However, the many stops meant that there was only the slightest chance of my making the 07.49 from Brighton so I'm appalled to say I bailed out at Haywards Heath for the train back to the Smoke.

Nevertheless, it was a great ride and (as ever) fantastically well organised. The patience of the TECs and waymarkers takes some beating.

Waterproofing notes.

1 Altura Night Vision gloves really are wind and waterproof.
2 It's time I chucked some Grangers waterproofing gunk at my leggings, they were soppy.

Did anyone else experience the Dance of the Knee Caps ? At the Horley shelter my knee caps each went into an uncontrollable and unsynchronised series of spasms (due to the cold). Never had that before.

Top Bottom