FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th March in aid of Martlets Hospice 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
great pics - although I'm shocked to discover that people were drinking brandy!

ah-ha! Extract from e-mail to Martlets riders (theclaude will appreciate the exquisite typeface...)

If you're worried about the (pretty much non-existent) toilet facilities en route do drop me a line - I had thought that being of a certain age, and having a wobbly prostate granted me the right to wax lyrical on the joys of hedges, and, indeed, where the best hedges were to be found, but my friends have disabused me of this notion. A lucky escape..

It was the brandy night ride to the coast...:smile:

A mention in dispatches for Tim H for his intervention - the ultimate chain letter outer - superb to see - so cool! :sad:

Teamwork
2gwids3.jpg

iLB

Hello there
wowee, that has got to be my favorite fnrttc to date surpassing even the whitstable ride which ended at the pub, even though i ended up pootling down lonesome lane rather than spear heading a chaingang for once :ohmy: the high level of enjoyment seemed very apt as it was the anniversary of our first 'and back' ride, thus necessitating that we ride home again :biggrin: as you can see from the pictures below i was wearing the same jacket then as i was on friday, just there was less of me to fill it :wacko: a big thank you to everyone who helped the ride go as smoothly as it did, the very determined martlets riders, everyone i spoke to on the way and of course Simon (and i have just noticed, as Kat remarked as we left HPC, i have more hair in the second photo)

1z720kn.jpg

atu15d.jpg

I also enjoyed the ride back as much as the ride down, sorry we left you early macb :sad:, i just can't believe we followed martin again :sad: but i guess it's the only way. the route was varied between the rolling hills at the start followed by the obligatory trip down a busy dual carriageway (both were good fun), and we eventually popped up in croydon (xx() left ape at the station and said goodbye to topcat, finally heading east to hayes and then orpington (did i mention ianrauk was flying all day, some rider even if he is ginger :smile: which is what i said of ed clancy after he won the omnium today in Ballerup).

Today i intended to go out on the sunday club run but my bed was more inviting when the alarm went at 08.00, and in the afternoon i decided to give my bike a good clean, who needs a proper bike stand anyway...

bike%20cleaning%201.JPG

when you have my grandma's washing line to hand? :laugh: mmm clean

oh and simon, after lunch at my grandma's today my dad gave me my birthday present a couple of days early, so next time i will be competing with you on the bling shoes front :biggrin: mmm...

DSCF0815.JPG

mike e

Aperitif said:
It was the brandy night ride to the coast...:smile:

A mention in dispatches for Tim H for his intervention - the ultimate chain letter outer - superb to see - so cool! :sad:

Teamwork
2gwids3.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Whatever it is that you do for a living stop doing it. Your talent is clearly elsewhere....

TimO

Guru
A bit late with my post, but I slept most of Saturday asleep after the ride (as ever after a night ride), and did another ride out to watch the cement work chimneys being demolished in Northfleet today.

Lots of good stuff has been said by everyone upthread. I was very impressed that the ride competed very successfully, and with only a few retirements, and nowhere near the number of mechanicals and punctures that we worried about beforehand. Simon gave me a CO2 inflater and eight cartridges, which made life so much easier with the three punctures that I was around for.
thumb_up.gif

I unfortunately didn't get to chat to as many of the Martlet's folk as I would have liked to, spending a fair amount of the ride either at or near the end, as a TEC. At the end, i did blast a bit of the way from Ditchling to the Madeira, my breakfast beckoned!

I was impressed with both the Martlets riders, and the more regular FNRttCers who helped the ride along. As ever the waymarkers and TECs did a fine job, as also did everyone who helped to encourage those who lagged a bit. I think that there were only two retirements due to physiological capabilities, and both of those riders struggled on as best they could, and certainly shouldn't feel any shame over their withdrawal. I believe that Charlotte was the only total mechanical failure, which was a shame. I neglected to carry a spare cotter pin, and the vice, file, and lump hammer necessary to adjust and fit it. Clearly I should amend this shortcoming for future rides. :smile:

I hope Charlotte gets the chance to complete a FNRttC with the ordinary. She was doing remarkably well, and was going at quite a rate of knots down Reigate Hill, although I imagine there's a point when you hit "Oh bugger, nothing is going to stop me now" with an ordinary on a hill!

The route we took is here on Bikely.

I've got a couple of potential panoramic shots of the ride at one of the regrouping stops. I'll see if I can glue them together tomorrow.

Simon, I hope you have a warm glow from another well run ride, and this time with benefits for many other people.
clap.gif

Yeh Tim O - disappointed that you didn't have a butane welder handy!
Rotten luck for Charlotte - pretty brave to get on one of those and to spend a penny farthing around in the van - frustrating.

At breakfast, there was a little chance to 'catch up' with a few people. In this photo L to R:
Clive - allowing me a clear shot of his breakfast, Marilyn - who shocked me :sad: :smile:, mikee - 'oop North dahn Sarf' yet again and the ultimate Friday Night Ride accessory, a 'Handbag' - as carried by cool 'Kats' :biggrin:
9hqu6o.jpg

mike e

Not every dined at the Maderia, some fellow riders went upmarket....
20gi9ua.jpg

One in particular was tucking into a generous helping of chips after the arduous journey from the station (Brighton)...:biggrin:

clivedb

Guru
Aperitif said:
Marilyn - who shocked me :biggrin: :biggrin:,
9hqu6o.jpg

Naughty Marilyn...she is looking pleased with herself :ohmy:

It's all been said really - quite an amazing ride - Simon has invented a cycling event that constantly surprises and delights us. Thanks yet again to him.

I have posted a few photos. Just in case you think I have become narcissistic, they are mainly there to prove to those who sponsored me for my local hospice that I did do it!
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/clive1db/BrightonFNRttC26March2010#

Tuffy (the cat) doesn't trust feline weather forecasters and prefers to stay at home in the warm.

mike e

I've tried to capture the spirit of Ditchling Beacon

No 1. Might not make it, where's that minibus?...:biggrin:
1037uk1.jpg

No 2. Probably going to make it...:ohmy:
hwyet1.jpg

No 3. Definately going to make it...:biggrin:
21btzk1.jpg

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mike e said:
Not every dined at the Maderia, some fellow riders went upmarket....
20gi9ua.jpg

One in particular was tucking into a generous helping of chips after the arduous journey from the station (Brighton)...:biggrin:

ah - yes. That didn't go down well at the Madeira. I had to do a bit of repair work there.

Top Bottom