FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th March in aid of Martlets Hospice 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice pics... and thanks for getting us to Croydon. I hope you got home in time for your visitors.

zigzag said:

A belated word of appreciation from me.

As others have said, probably the ultimate clockwork-driven FNRttC. Was it really 120 riders? And "all up" in 8 hours? Incredible.

Highlights of the ride: the very start for me, on emerging from Lpoo St after a downpour to realise that cars' windscreen wipers were motionless, and enjoying a completely dry and mild night.

The "silly" bikes and their intrepid riders, particularly following the tall bike up Ditchling, watching him zig-zag. That took nerve & skill.

The company. Lots of lovely people who knew who I was, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't recall their names. Someone even told me that I once rode a tandem down Reigate Hill at over 40 mph!

The half-way spread. I'm rather fond of calories and that fitted the bill very well - especially the smoked salmon!

Cake: bread pudding from Julian, chocolate something from Pippa, cherry madeira from Sig and banana cake from Tim Hall.

Birdsong. The dawn chorus really kicks off at this time of year and I think that the songthrush was the dominant species on this occasion.

Alcohol. Teef's hipflask and Adrian's Talisker. That's the first time in my life that I've washed down a cooked breakfast with single malt. I could get a taste for that sort of thing.

Overheard comment of the night: "I don't think anyone would ever want to have sex with me again after a baby had come out of there!"

The Martlets riders, whoever they are. They all looked like cyclists to me.

Simon. An understated hero of our time.

When's the next one?

zigzag

Veteran
ianrauk said:
Nice pics... and thanks for getting us to Croydon. I hope you got home in time for your visitors.

thanks, got back home at 3:30 and my friend turned up after a short while, so - perfect timing!

A bit late but just like to say that i too had a great ride to the coast with a brilliant group of riders. Amazed at the determination of the Martlets riders, with the weight of some of their bikes they should all be feeling very proud of there efforts on Friday night. I didn't notice the time we arrived at the Madeira but after a nice breakfast and chatting to a few people i left with the smrbtc at just after 9:30. First time i've ridden back and what a Fun ride it turned out to be. Fantastic views on the Devils Dyke section and a max speed record for me of 42.7, i think Ian and some of the others clocked close to 50.
Some of the route looked familiar as we joined the night time route for a bit. Just after Gatwick the group split, we carried on to Croydon and i decided to jump on the train from there. Said goodbye to Ian Andy and TC. Martin and myself split at Victoria and i managed to get to Kings Cross in a record 16mins 43. If i,d gone a bit faster i could have made it to platform 9 for the Knebworth train, only half an hour till the next one so i refueled with a nice hot cornish pastie. Back to the stables put the horse to bed then home, arriving about half seven. After making a cuppa i did the usual sit down and fall asleep. Woke up sunday morning just in time for the Grand prix at 6. Thanks everyone for a great night and day. See you all on the next one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ade.. after 127 miles.. believe me, I was happy to see the blessed place as it meant only 8 downhill miles to home.. :tongue:

AdrianC said:
I can't imagine that anyone has ever used this phrase before in the whole history of human existence.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
48.4mph dear chap (though 78kph sounds much better dos it not?) A record for me too .. I think I would have got to 50 if not for that skinny little number ILB coasting in front of me..:tongue:

redflightuk said:
and a max speed record for me of 42.7, i think Ian and some of the others clocked close to 50.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Wowbagger said:
Overheard comment of the night: "I don't think anyone would ever want to have sex with me again after a baby had come out of there!"

Oh, that's what we were talking about! :tongue:

I blame the tandem, Cathy and I probably had the most in-depth conversation of our lives on Friday night. I'm still riding high on the adrenaline and smugness of having made it though.

Huge thank yous to Charles for lending us his marvellous contraption and Simon for organising a fab ride, big love to those who applauded us on as we crawled up Ditchling (still can't believe we made it) and, of course, kudos to all the Martletts guys. It's the smoothest ride I've been on with the Friday night crew and that's no mean feat when you have that many people new to the concept.

zigzag

Veteran
Aperitif said:
Ha! The mystery 'Rimas'?* (How is it spelled please?) "Getting quicker" is an understatement! Ian did well to keep up. Nice to meet you and I will cable tie your legs together next time.(And lash your right foot to the left pedal etc) :ohmy:
Nice to meet you.

*Rimux - Picasa tells me.

hi Martin, Rimas is correct spelling. it was nice to meet and see you guys, and fun riding with. getting faster, because i suffered in lel last year and i don't want to go through the same pain in a big ride this year. regarding cable ties - this would be too obvious and i may not let you do it. i would suggest half-deflating my tyres and overtightenig hubs while i'm away from the bike - and would take longer to figure it out :sad:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Come along Martin, you've read the book. You should know how to spell Rimas by now :ohmy:

Oh, and I'd recommend letting his tyres down, then restoring them to full pressure (but with your pump submerged in water.) Almost impossible to detect until it punctures :sad:

Aperitif

Meme bar
arallsopp said:
Come along Martin, you've read the book. You should know how to spell Rimas by now :sad:

Oh, and I'd recommend letting his tyres down, then restoring them to full pressure (but with your pump submerged in water.) Almost impossible to detect until it punctures :smile:

Well, I thought I knew...
Never believe all you read. :ohmy:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Wheeledweenie said:
Oh, that's what we were talking about! :sad:

I blame the tandem, Cathy and I probably had the most in-depth conversation of our lives on Friday night. I'm still riding high on the adrenaline and smugness of having made it though.

Huge thank yous to Charles for lending us his marvellous contraption and Simon for organising a fab ride, big love to those who applauded us on as we crawled up Ditchling (still can't believe we made it) and, of course, kudos to all the Martletts guys. It's the smoothest ride I've been on with the Friday night crew and that's no mean feat when you have that many people new to the concept.

Of course you made it up Ditchling, twin engines :ohmy:
Seriously though, well done!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
arallsopp said:
Come along Martin, you've read the book. You should know how to spell Rimas by now :ohmy:

Oh, and I'd recommend letting his tyres down, then restoring them to full pressure (but with your pump submerged in water.) Almost impossible to detect until it punctures :sad:

Rimas is that Rimas? Wow. I'd have shaken his hand when sigining him in if I had known that. Kudos

Great pictures

Top Bottom