FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th March in aid of Martlets Hospice 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Forgot to add: with regards to the above letters from the Martlets staff & riders, "you're very welcome". We were blessed with good weather and minimal mechanicals, but also by the presence of so many enthusiastic guest riders, and a tea stop spread of extreme excellence. All welcome back any time, as far as I'm concerned!!

2yknxna.jpg

"Passing the Royal Pavillion was great - we arrived!"

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
AdrianC said:
September? Would this be a third run for the month or replace one of the others?
this won't be an FNRttC. Robert was always plain that he had big ambitions, and he saw us as part of the learning process. He's looking years ahead. I think he wants to build something that will be a major fundraiser, will reflect well on the Hospice, will bring the Hospice in to the lives of people living in Brighton and Hove, and will be a great deal of fun.

Our format has a limit. I'm not sure what that limit is, not least because this month's ride was so remarkably smooth, but I do know that The Martlets got 1300 women out on their midnight walk, and that's probably a bit beyond us.

Having said that I'm sure some of us will be on the ride, and on next years, and maybe I should be thinking about the calendar...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just had a look at the Martlets website, 3rd September. Ho hum, I'll be across the channel (donations welcome).

TimO

Guru
dellzeqq said:
this won't be an FNRttC. Robert was always plain that he had big ambitions, and he saw us as part of the learning process. He's looking years ahead. I think he wants to build something that will be a major fundraiser, will reflect well on the Hospice, will bring the Hospice in to the lives of people living in Brighton and Hove, and will be a great deal of fun.

Our format has a limit. I'm not sure what that limit is, not least because this month's ride was so remarkably smooth, but I do know that The Martlets got 1300 women out on their midnight walk, and that's probably a bit beyond us.

Having said that I'm sure some of us will be on the ride, and on next years, and maybe I should be thinking about the calendar...

Currently it looks a little ambiguous, the Martlets website seems to have both March and September down as FNRttCs. If the September one is distinct from the Cheam and Morden CTC FNRttCs, then it should probably be clearer.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
TimO said:
Currently it looks a little ambiguous, the Martlets website seems to have both March and September down as FNRttCs. If the September one is distinct from the Cheam and Morden CTC FNRttCs, then it should probably be clearer.
I think we're still working it out...it could, for example, be a CTC event. Rob Fuller is thinking it through. What I do know is that it's beyond organising the way it's organised now, if only because the amount of e-mail traffic associated with the latest ride isn't something that I'd fancy dealing with again in a hurry. And six Dr. Bike sessions take it out of you...It needs to be organised professionally.

if you think that you can build something big, then you have to incorporate the stuff you need before you really need it. So, yes, portaloos and stationary marshalls, Dr. Bike sessions, police help, and scaling up the halfway stop all have to be taken in to consideration. And there's a whole host of other interesting possibilities.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
AdrianC said:
Big ambitions. How big?

They way it is now could cope with a few hundred. Split it down into a few sub-groups with staggered starts each with their own lead and TECs and it would be workable. It would require a lot more Dr Bike work, a bigger halfway stop and maybe more than one sag wagon though.

More than that, 1,000s say, would need a greater spread of start times, route-sheets, fixed waymarkers and signing. At this level of numbers would it need portaloos?

The BHF ride has 10's of 1,000s and it probably represents an upper limit, otherwise they wouldn't cap the numbers where they do. It also has hundreds of marshals, closed roads, signing, lots of food stops, toilets, etc. The two occasions I have ridden it in the last few years it also had people being put in the backs of ambulances. If it were run at night and it were wet and cold it would be mayhem.

It would also be useful to know how many people abandon on the BHF ride and what they do then because their back up options would be limited at night so would need to be provided for.

It will be interesting to see how they take it on. If they want any whilst doing more learning I would be happy to help.
I doubt that a night ride would ever be in that league, but, actually, the capacity is far greater at night. You don't need to close roads. And you could have three, four or five routes operating in parallel.

beatleandrew

AdrianC said:
The two occasions I have ridden it in the last few years it also had people being put in the backs of ambulances. If it were run at night and it were wet and cold it would be mayhem.
I believe ambulances are generally in short supply on Friday nights...

Moi, Adam and Dave...when dellzeqq says 'TEC' it means TEC. Adam, the two Tims, Andrij, Graham - always packing tons of stuff to help out (and the medicine cabinet, which this ride ran to Camus, Courvoisier, Malt, couple of energy gel and a Talisker boost).
:smile:

Top Bottom