FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 26th March in aid of Martlets Hospice 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
A joyous FNRttC, and just what was needed after February's tough edition, to remind us all exactly why we do it. It is possible, I suppose, that somewhere on the planet there is something cooler than Charlotte on the neon-wheeled PF. Possible, but not terribly likely. Only a mile or so from the start, she fielded an onslaught of awed compliments with the prescient observation that it was indeed a great bike, apart from the bloody cotter pins. My memory might be coloured by the imagination of hindsight, but I'm convinced the phrase "I hate cotter pins" passed her lips...

The Martlet's riders were an inspiration - my particular favourite was the stylish young woman on the three-speed shopper with the basket, who spent the whole 60-odd miles managing to look as if she were taking an effortless spin along the prom on a sunny afternoon. Not everyone can quite pull off that trick, of course, so hats off as well to those who found it much tougher and still gave it their best. Which was, in all cases, pretty damn good.

Always a pleasure to catch up with the regulars, particularly a trimmer, faster, and happier MacB than the one I saw in February, and a nearly-mended Teef. And to put a few more names to faces - nice to meet you, tdr1nka. I chided ILB over his once-only approach to Ditchling Beacon this time round. He informed me with disarming insouciance that he was on a rest week...

Another highlight for me was seeing the (very) tall bike appear at the top of the Beacon - you can see the delight on people's faces in one of Tim's wonderful pics. Although this might also have been due to the warm glow of cognac...

Talking of warm glows, Adrian made up for a poor effort from the rest of the Lushketeers by nipping home from the Madeira to swap his bike for a bottle of Talisker. In the grand tradition of Bizarre Madeira Conversations, his offer of a dram was wisely refused by a fellow who reassured us that his occasional rampaging tendencies were only ever brought on by single malts from Skye...

Great company throughout, with further special mentions to Stuart (philosophical about the Viner tragedy and irrepressible as always), Susie, Lee, Bridget, and of course the famous Meaty Confreres at the back, the sight of whom always gladdens the heart of the chilly waymarker. Great cake from the Martlets crew, Sig and Pippa, and a fine coup all round from the inimitable Simon, sans Legg warmers once again to herald the Spring...

TimO

Guru
Here are a couple of panoramic shots I took in Lindfield.

Pano1_cropped_Thumb400.jpg

Pano2_cropped_Thumb400.jpg

They've been created using two different projections, and consequently look a little different, as well as being different sizes. If you click on the images you'll get the full sized ones, but be warned, the top one is close to 2M to download, and the bottom one about 1M.

Charlotte

Dissolute libertine
I've only just got round to blogging it all up. Executive summary: Simon and his team are amazing - and the Martlet's crew are all quite extraordinary.

Dammit, of all rides, I didn't want to have to pack this one. Penelope and I have unfinished business on Ditchling Beacon...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Errm, what day is it? Its a work day? What happened to Sunday???

Wow wow wow, what a great ride, truly inspiration and fantastically organised. I dont think much more can be said that hasnt already, but a massive well done to the martletts riders, Simon, the tecs, waymarkers, cake makers, scout hut crew and anyone and everyone else for making this my favourite ride so far.

So much went into this ride to make it run soo smoothly I was in awe of it, massive well done Simon.

Ive spent a few hours today trying to open a photosharing account/s but given up so will upload a few below.

The ride home was an enjoyable mix of elements with some speedy flats, 20% inclines (which I did cycle up, albeit slowly) and a adrenaline filled and massive down hill, devils dyke was it? I hit 47.9mph on this but was slowed down by a BMW driver who wasnt going quick enough due to following some pesky cyclists infront, got no idea who they were... ;-) . It is a shame about MacB's tranformation into a Cow in a field some where as if waiting for the rain to arrive, but needs have musts.. I was going a bit dillusional from the sugar intake spikes and so I wont mention about the dogs incident, but I will remember not to start a low-carb diet the same week as a fnrttc! However, I got home in one piece, just, I mean, why is it I survive 152 miles unscathed but within a mile of home two cars want a piece of me! What was nice thought was just pulling into my road, a flock of seagulls past over head, reminding me of Brighton and how far I had cycled, touching. :cry:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Davywalnuts said:
It is a shame about MacB's tranformation into a Cow in a field some where as if waiting for the rain to arrive, but needs have musts. :cry:

Hey, Big Dog, I thought it was an udderley smooth transformation which, incidentally, is the cream I use:biggrin:

mistral

Guru
Davywalnuts said:
It is a shame about MacB's tranformation into a Cow in a field some where as if waiting for the rain to arrive, but needs have musts..
I think it only right to point out that MacB did his fair share, this photographic evidence shows him leading the stragglers up yet another hill. His early departure was probably due to a pressing family commitment:whistle:

I should have taken his lead, on returning home my wife:evil: was very happy that I'd had a nice day out, as she'd spent the time getting the house straight following my decorating antics!

fnrttc_march10_%20068.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
TimO said:
Here are a couple of panoramic shots I took in Lindfield.

Pano1_cropped_Thumb400.jpg

Pano2_cropped_Thumb400.jpg

They've been created using two different projections, and consequently look a little different, as well as being different sizes. If you click on the images you'll get the full sized ones, but be warned, the top one is close to 2M to download, and the bottom one about 1M.

Those are rather good, Tim. But in a bitter-sweet way, for they remind me that Simon had us moving on just as the Glyn Thomas the butcher had promised the hot sausage rolls were about to come out of the oven! :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Just spent entirely too long trying to squeeze the ride footage down into a youtube friendly sub ten minute file.

Suffice to say, some sections have been sped up a little ;)

Anyway, here it is: (NOPE NOT HERE ANYMORE)

Warning: Contains one instance of strong language (oops) and no evidence of the return journey. If there's demand, I should be able to fade the offending word out for a 'g-rated' martlets version.

The standard there and back flickbook will follow, but I've pretty much exhausted my editing opportunities for today.

What a ride! Thanks all for making it a great one!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hi All,

The ride was brilliant.

Cycling in London for the first time was a treat with 60 or so-odd other cyclists around me. Yellow and orange high-viz were in abundance. All of us with blinking red and white lights, and some with more inventive illumination (like my pedal lights and the penny farthing’s inner wheel lighting and some spoke-woven glow sticks). Departing from under Constitution Arch was majestic at minimum. That is, until the first taxis insisted on beeping and swearing their way around us, at unsafe distances and with un-safe (used in the kid’s slang sense) attitudes. The southbound route took us past a few Balham clubs where most cheered and some jeered. Other drunken shouts were heard as we made our way away from city, through suburbia, to country.

At our 1st round-up on the outskirts of London (7 miles or so on our way to 58) my derailleur got jammed in my spokes. I kind of knew there was a problem back there, but since I had been to Worthing and back without any problems on the Saturday before, I ignored it. It was par for the course as far as I was concerned, considering my last minute attitude towards this entire event. But my dreams were almost dashed. Quickly, at least, 10 people who had noticed my situation gathered round to sort out my problem. What concern! What camaraderie! There was talk of bringing the van back for me and my bike. L The men argued over who was going to pull the mechanism from my spoke, and then reminded each other to take off their gloves to avoid an oily mess on their expensive equipment. The piece was pulled away from my wheel and they told me not to change my gears down. Or was it up? Did they mean to harder gears or larger cogs…? I wasn’t sure, and with some disappointment and dread building and the desire to catch up to the riders who had left, I decided not to change the gears at all. So I grimaced, thanked everyone, said I would be fine, told the van I was not yet succumbing to defeat, and as I began to ride off, one of the regular night riders reminded me, ‘Hey, if that happens while you’re riding… it’ll flip you straight off your bike’. Super, I thought.

That emotional state lasted about an hour. Jemma had long left me and my morbid thoughts of how I might not actually even make it halfway with the bike. I pedalled cautiously into the night and wished and prayed and hoped I would not let all my sponsors and, more importantly, myself, down. I begged the bike to be good to me. I consistently pulled my fingers away from the automatic instinct to change gears, swearing loudly when occasionally my instincts beat my brain to the job and a gear change managed to click through. And finally I reached our 2nd round-up. I caught up with Jemma and Rhi. Rhi had introduced me to a chap named Stuart, who was one of the more techy bike boys on the ride. He listened to my story, and in the dark, with a quick glance and an expert eye, explained that part of my derailleur metal bits were bent, and the only way it would be fixed would be with a hammer, in a shop. But he also swiftly man-handled my bike away from me and worked the pedals with his hands, switching gears, as we all stood waiting munching on Nakd bars (yum!) and waiting for last of the riders to catch up. Stuart deftly worked out which gears I could and couldn’t use, explained why to me, and left me in much better spirits than I had been for the previous hour.

I continued on with a choice of 3 gears (my front cogs) and, from then on, the ride was about the sweetest thing a girl could have asked for.

There were coasting bits and some great downhills which I was too cautious to bomb. There were a few tough hills, and with relatively zero training, I even made it up 3/4 of Ditchling Beacon on my faulty machine, which I am quite chuffed about honestly, seeing as I did pass walkers, including a few of the spandex riders clickity-cloping their way up the hill.

Overall, the organisers were amazing. The mid-way stop at a scout hut was well stocked, from toilets to tea, from sandwiches to kitkat, from water to cake, we had everything we could have asked for. The regular ‘night riders’ rode ahead to stake out turns and pot holes. The sheer smooth functioning and incredible support team efforts really could not have been surpassed. The weather was with us, the night silent and stoic, the daybreak delightful.

I recommend the ride to everyone. Below you can see the email from Martlet’s. Note their declaration that in September they shall put on another. I may very well take part again, considering all of the above.

And you can’t imagine how wonderful it feels to own the roads from midnight to 6am (we weren’t back in Brighton until 8am – but we didn’t really own the roads anymore after 6)

Thank you for all your support. J I made £260 for the Martlet’s Hospice, to my great surprise.

Best,
Allison

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dear Regular Friday Night Riders

On behalf of the team from the Martlets Hospice, we should like to thank you for supporting our novice night riders as they pedalled their way from London to Brighton last Friday.

The event could not have happened without your support doing all those things that you do, showing people the way, pointing out dangerous pot holes etc.

If that wasn’t enough, I marvelled at those of you who set off again, in a group and cycled back to London – what a team!

We were very grateful that you all let us come into your night riding world, it was a really enjoyable experience for us and one that I was glad to be able to share, even if for me it was about making tea for everyone rather than doing the ride itself.

Thank you again.

With best wishes
Antonia (on behalf of all the Fundraising Team of staff and volunteers)

Antonia Shepherd
Martlets Hospice
Fundraising Events Manager

Tel: 01273 747455 Ext 2

Martlets Hospice Fundraising & Lottery Office
Unit 5, Sussex House Business Park
270 Old Shoreham Road
HOVE
BN3 7DX

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Simon

Just a huge thank you from me to you and your team for all that was done for the Martlets on Friday. Given that we had no idea what might be the outcome would be when we first spoke about the ride some months ago, I had a real lump in my throat seeing everybody set off through the arch at Hyde Park and then another lump in my throat when sharing the riders sense of achievement in getting to Brighton safely.

We have had great feedback from the riders and I am confident that the financial result will exceed our expectations too. Both Antonia and I look forward to meeting up next week and talking about September.
Robert

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
AdrianC said:
September? Would this be a third run for the month or replace one of the others?

+1. I wouldn't mind three. As long as it's not on the 3rd, I'll hopefully be en route to Paris- another charity ride as it happens- on that day.

Top Bottom