FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast- Amble to Ashford, 23 April. Ride report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yes, we're back, the first night ride of the year. In legally-compliant fashion, two groups of a dozen hardy souls (those Garmins with temperature readings were reporting sub-zero) set out from the South Bank (surrounded by groups of those not exactly keeping their distance, it was very busy indeed), out into darkest Kent. Your correspondent was in the first group of twelve, led by Ross, the second group led by Tim, and almost exclusively on Bromptons (two 700C dissidents) was, at least before the ride, intending to take a slightly different route via a different halfway. Didn't quite work out like that…

Due to Obvious Reasons, there have been fewer worthwhile opportunities to use up odd days' leave recently. So, I decided to take the night off for this. The long-distance riding mojo has been on convalescent leave the past few months, after fading somewhat last year, the failure to complete another year of the imperial century a month challenge was the final straw. I was feeling like a mouse on a treadmill, the nail not the hammer…enough. Needed to step away. Only just passed 500 miles for the year (including this ride). The overall total for the year will be down again, not up as intended…but that mojo wasn't dead, it was just having a break. And this seemed like an ideal opportunity to get that Garmin odometer reading into three figures for the first time since November.

So, off on the London-bound train I went just before seven. Disembarked at Guildford at just before eight, and onto a route I don't know well at all, ha ha. Well, I could metaphorically do it blindfold, the GPX track I had stuck on the Garmin was a backup/aide memoire, not least for the dubious delights of the Kingston upon Thames one way system, which have thrown a spanner in the works of previous rides into the Great Wen. So, through Guildford centre, past Stoke Park, and onto the A3 bike path (thankfully, the Highways England chainsaws had been in use recently, no problems with overgrown vegetation), before going through Ripley and on to Ockham (very slight detour caused by missed turn, just took the next one), on to Cobham, before joining the A307 all the way to Kingston. Thanks to the Garmin, and revising the correct route so I knew what to look for, there were no navigation fails there, and on I went, via half-a-lap of Richmond Park, Priory Lane and into Chelsea. Second very minor nav fail (went straight across Sloane Square, rather than round towards Chelsea Bridge, just doubled back) before crossing the Thames again on Lambeth Bridge. Hadn't noticed before, but Thames House (HQ of the Security Service aka MI5) has a visitors' entrance…!!! Made it to the NT just after eleven, first 34.5 miles done. I didn't have long to wait until Tim and the first of the others turned up. Reintroductions were made, my sandwich eaten and Sealskinz socks donned. Ross conducted the safety talk- our tail-ender Greg was, true to form, the last to turn up before we left, just after 2345. Tim's group were aiming to leave at midnight.

Down through Southwark we went, and on to Bermondsey, where we paused to visit Stompie the T-34-85 tank. Then, past The Den, through Lewisham and Eltham, and into Kent. Sidcup, Swanley, and on to The Climbing as we reached the North Downs. 14% gradient at one point, which I resorted to walking as I was already onto the bottom gear on the nursery slopes, it wouldn't have ended well. Rather a lot of climbing was followed by rather a steep descent, best taken with great care (sketchy surfaces, lots of gravel, twisty road). And then on to our halfway stop, the Parkfoot garage in West Malling. The best 24 hour petrol station…in Kent at least. Seriously though, great food options (24hr bakery), pleasant staff, prices reasonable. A most excellent Audax-style stop. We were joined by the second group soon afterwards, as their intended stop was shut (24 hour opening still advertised.....). Never mind, enough room for everyone to keep their distance. I'd been rather flagging, so opted for the usual remedy of Many Calories (a BLT, coffee and five doughnuts), plus donned remaining layers as the temperature had dropped further.

We left the Brompton brigade and got back on our way after about 40 minutes. One last biggish climb soon followed, and as dawn rose and the temperature rose (a little). Our pace remained pretty steady- we didn't suffer a single mechanical all night, and all those calories and further fuelling kept me going rather better than in the first leg. We made Ashford just after 7.30. By The Tank, our intended cafe, was also closed, so we resorted to Greggs. I did at least get a cooked breakfast (sausage baguette and porridge). We had mostly dispersed by 8.30, and Team B were yet to appear. They made it at about nine, by which time I was halfway to London. It turned out that not for the first time on a night ride, James had suffered a crank problem- a pedal came off, crankarm problem- so he and Kim resorted to a homeward train.

Fed and watered, I said farewell to the remainder of Team A and made my way round to Itsnotinternational for the first of my trains home. The only (much cheaper) via-Brighton service that didn't involve a replacement bus, as far as Hastings (!) was one an hour, took four hours and three changes. Opted instead to stump up for the high speed service back into St Pancras. Into there bang on time (38 minutes!) at 10.21, then over to Waterloo…only to discover that there was engineering work on the main line via Guildford. So, the long way round (via Basingstoke and Winchester) it was. Back just after twelve, and then a nap.

Thanks everyone. Glad to get back into that groove…see you for Maldon. I will be the shy retiring all-up man!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks @StuAff for the report and keeping the FNR alive on this forum.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Yes, great report, Stu. Many thanks. Appreciate the effort you put into it. Wish I was there....

Top Bottom