FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast April 15th Manchester to Blackpool 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi everyone. I got home fine (with a few stops to sleep en-route).

Thanks to everyone for a very enjoyable ride. I'm sure some of the scenery from the moors would look great in daylight too. There were some long hills but it wasn't a relentless 1:7 or anything like that. I came out with about 930m climbing for the whole route. Thank you Simon for another great route (and sorry for not answering your 3 phone calls when trying to meet up at the start, I'd forgotten to turn the phone off silent
blush.gif
). I think the speed out of Manchester catching up the others did put me off the super speedy FNRttC though. If it wasn't for the traffic lights slowing you down on the road to Prestwich I'd have had no chance of keeping up.

Hope you are ok Miranda. When I got there you were talking about being able to "wiggle them all" and that that was a good sign.

Also thanks to the tea room in Ribchester for a really nice spread of cakes, sandwiches and hot drinks at 4:15am
smile.gif

Oh and Congratulations Emily!
bravo.gif

Well, that was a grand adventure. No photos - I didn't take a camera because I had no room in my bag. Nor did I take any cake, or a lock, or my house keys, or any spare layers, or indeed a pump! I finally (only the best part of a year later than originally promised, and on the third attempt) managed to hand a cake into AdrianC's mitts. He was presented with it an the station in Manchester because, as I said, I had nowhere to carry it. The quick nip across Manchester in traffic was, naturally, fairly alarming for a country bumpkin. Taxis and tram tracks, what a combination. Lovely to see, at the station and then at City Hall, familiar faces from Cleethorpes and elsewhere, and to meet some new forumites. And Emily, the youngest FNRttCer to essay the full journey to date (and undoubtably the most adorable one ever) was full of beans and ready for the off before anyone else. The steady haul up and out of Manchester felt a bit like hard work, particularly since I seemed to be joining Kim in the dodgy knee club with, by the time we rallied up outside Tesco, both knees and my flaky hip objecting to starting out the ride with the wrong sort of hill. Fortunately both eased off after that, leaving me to just enjoy the ride. And wasn't it thoroughly delicious? I have no idea where we were most of the time. This is not unusual for me, as per usual the plan was to turn up, pedal and follow - hopefully not too slowly. Any bad bits? Well, the obvious one is the injury. Hope it is not serious, and that all is well as soon as. The road surface, as we had been warned, was frequently absolutely shocking. And, by CrinklyStandards, it was a little on the warm side.... Good bits? Too many to number.

Benevolent weather the whole way. The drunks and the revellers cheering us on, and just not understanding that 'what we were doing it for' was fun. Just fun. Those never-ending descents (must get some better lights, they make the right sort of hill so much more enjoyable at night). Not having to walk up any of the hills (although I will admit to having to stop to find the lung that I appeared to have misplaced partway up one of them - oxygen is such useful stuff, I find). After the 'safety talk', outside someone's house although I've no idea where, turning the corner and seeing the velvety darkness punctuated by a constellation of lights ahead, lighting up the trees and disappearing down and round the corner, thinking 'that's the moment I was waiting for'. A couple of stretches where Kim and I were tootling along with the bunch ahead out of sight round a couple of corners, and the others invisible behind us, realising it had been a while since we'd seen anyone and that I sort of hoped we hadn't missed a waymarker along the way - although I didn't actually care that much if it was the wrong road because it was so really remarkably pleasant. Not having to walk up any of the hills. Along the top, before the endless endless descent to ASDA, in blissful solitude and marvelous moonlight, catching up with jogler and Emily who was still game and still cheerful then passing that very pretty little church and finding everyone waiting at the top and them greeting her with a round of applause. The complete confusion on the face of the lady doing her early-hours shopping at ASDA when confronted with the milling lycra-clad crowd. That halfway cafe - efficent, friendly and cheerful, delicious food and very welcome coffee and so very, very civilised. Lurking outside to try and cool down a bit and enjoying the complete and utter peace of the moment with dark skies and a few bright stars and the only sounds the burble of running water from the garden and, if you listened very, very carefully the sound of laughter and gossip from inside. And what a toilet! Not having to walk up the 'last' hill either. The mist and the lambs and the beautiful sunrise. The welcome return to the flatlands, my natural habitat, and my bike computer (which objects to my lights and so doesn't work at night) suddenly springing back into life as the batteries started to fade and realising we were gossiping along at a steady 25 to 30 kph. A year ago I'd have struggled to maintain half of that. The dawn meaning I could finally remove the front light that had been driving me bonkers with the rattly lens the whole way. Spotting the tower, although apparently several miles too late to be in with a chance of a prize. The utter insanity of slaloming round barriers and work vehicles, across the trams tracks on the prom. Breakfast - I didn't realise I was hungry until it was in front of me - and the fact that the waiter was so completely entertained by us all, at least to start off with. Emily having ridden her first night ride, and further than she's ever ridden before - by the time they tandemmed off to the uncle that are staying with she will have clocked up a metric century. Her previous best, which I also got to go along on, was an imperial half century. I told her that I expect her to be towing me round audaxes on her solo by the end of the year. Gossip and beer (although not for me, because I'm rubbish at drinking) then off the station for a straightforward journey home with spontaneously helpful staff at Picadilly offering to open the accessible loo so I could take my bike in with me (no lock with me - it would only have weighed me down) and a random lady offering to watch my bike at York while I went to the ticket office, where the staff had told me off for bringing the bike in but then made up for it by being apologetic and efficient and extrardinarliy helpful in sorting tickets and bike bookings for the EldestCub and I when we go off audaxing in a couple of weeks time. Finding it easier than the Cleethorpes run last year. Oh and, did I mention, not having to walk on any of the hills? Emily's grin at the end. That would have been worth riding twice the distance and doing twice the climbing, all on its own. Thanks everyone for a splendid night out, especially Andrew (nice to meet you!) fountain-of-local-knowledge and (obviously) Our Glorious Leader.

frank9755

Cyclist
Top notch night out on two wheels. Was sorry I couldn't stick around for a few more beers.

Glad you got home safely. I think on the beer front everyone was hugely impressed at how you made such efficient use of the regrettably short amount of time available before you had to leave for your train.
cheers.gif

Here are a few pictures:

At the first stop
DSCN0871.JPG

Teef looking innocent after having roused the householder with some flash photography of his upstairs windows
DSCN0874.JPG

Miranda Mice on her extremely light new bike. I was impressed at how she had adapted the bits at the bottom of the handlebars (aka drops) to carry bananas and also how she sped up the hills before she was forced to abandon

DSCN0876.JPG

Two memorable features of this ride:
in the background, the tandem whose youthful stoker impressed everyone with her energy, staying power and cheerfulness on what was her longest ever bike ride.
in the foreground, one of the many craters we had to negotiate on this moonscape of a ride

DSCN0878.JPG

Susie pointing out the beautiful sunrise, through the mists hanging over the fields
DSCN0887.JPG

'Teef wandered off in search of the perfect place from which to take a far better sunrise picture (which I expect will follow) ...
DSCN0888.JPG

....and the group looked on, pleased to see in the dawn and greet the rising temperature
DSCN0889.JPG

After breakfast, and Claudine's demonstration of the disappearing pint of lager trick, the remaining stragglers set out in search of Blackpool South station. This was harder than we expected as the first five locals we asked for directions had not heard of it. Eventually we were told that we had to head down the seafront. On reaching it, we were pleasantly surprised to find most of it - unlike the bit we had toured before breakfast - was not a building site.

To celebrate, we did rather a lot of random / no-hands cycle-photography. Curiously, most of the pictures I took were not very good (of which quite a lot turned out to be mainly of my ear), but here are some of the better ones.

The seafront, with no building works on this bit
DSCN0891.JPG

As this picture shows, it was Andrij that was leading us - not me, honest - as we headed for a station that was a couple of stops further down the line than the one we wanted.
DSCN0894.JPG

Looking back to the Tower, with Adrian drinking in the atmosphere
DSCN0901.JPG

His 'Teefness
DSCN0904.JPG

Quite a good one of the remaining group with only a little bit of my ear and not lop-sided
DSCN0908.JPG

The Pleasure Beach
DSCN0911.JPG

At one point we thought that if we didn't find the station we might have to charter a couple of these to get to Preston
DSCN0913.JPG

After we made it to Preston, we managed to find a nice pub for lunch.
Shame they didn't serve any food
icon_smile_sad.gif

DSCN0935.JPG

Then we got the big train back to London. A bit of cheek and lateral thinking on my part, aided by 'Teef's charm and wit with the train manageress, enabled me to squeeze onto the same train as the others rather than having to wait an extra hour on my own in Preston. I know that, deep down, Adrian was pleased for me!

Christopher

Über Member
hi everyone!
SUPER ride - thanks so much for organising! I have been sleeping and doing errands - I rather over-indulged at the cafe in Ribchester so was't feeling too great. Had nice quiet ride back to Preston, went down little lanes devoid of traffic even at 9AM. Did 82 miles in all, wasn't tempted to stretch it to a century. But how anyone can fancy chips at 8 o'clock in the AM after riding all night is still a mystery to me.

Excellent Frank! I suspect you have dumped the plethora of 'sky shots' and 'jacket snaps'! :smile:
Yes. a 'big up' to Emily for doing the ride in good spirits and with charming manners. Commiserations to Miranda for a 'down and outer' too. That stretch of highway was a good ride - up, down and around - and it was a nice point of view by the stone bench. (A touch odd to try and complete the rebuild in the dark, with the floodlit carpark just opposite... but it came in handy for my chain woe! :biggrin: )

The old bull talked in the Old Bull revolved around the alsatian being the only thing with a full set of gnashers and no tattoos. The 'cousin' of Frank's 'catch' was staggering around in the main road when we arrived, during our stay and after we left no doubt! We were also invited for drinks at the lady's local. "Just ask for 'last orders' and everyone will know to come an' get me" she offered. Powerful character.

As Rolf Harris might say... "Sun-a-rise" - there may be 30+ other versions of this :whistle:
28jfhba.jpg

frank9755

Cyclist
My gpx of the route (minus the circling of Manchester trying to meet everyone) is here. Bikehike only reckons 770m climbing
huh.gif

Thanks for posting - very interesting to see where that great cycling country we went through actually is!

770m is a fair bit of climbing. Best part of a couple of thousand feet in old money, and half the ride was pretty flat.

AndrewClark

Veteran
Has anyone heard from Miranda ? Did she make it home OK ?

frank9755

Cyclist
[QUOTE 1329329"]
Not being funny there is no such thing as 'overshifting'. That's a set up issue on the rear mech with the limit screws not being calibrated correctly.

Looking at pic of the bike, it looks new, and is a Boardman so I presume Halfords are the retailer? I'd be inclined to enquire about the age of the bike, who set it up and then go and slap their face with a wet kipper - several times.
[/quote]

Correct. New bike, not set up properly, was the cause (set-up done by LBS, not Halfords!)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Rotten for Miranda, hope she gets well soon. That kind of bad job by Halfords seems all too common. A couple of months back, my LBS did an evening seminar for roadies- maintenance tips, buying advice, fitting, etc, including a section on carbon fibre care and the importance of not overtightening. During the tea break, a guy with a brand new Boardman Carbon bike asked them to look it over. The Halfords employee had put (if memory serves) 16Nm of torque on the stem instead of 4- it was an accident waiting to happen. And the poor bloke had to get back to East Meon (12-13 miles away)....

Top Bottom