FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Brighton 15th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
2773020 said:
A23 to Gatwick. Some road just south of the airport that went to the Blacombe Road. Balcombe road to Cuckfield. Ansty, Burgess Hill, Hassocks, Clayton Hill, A23 to the pier.
Thanks for that. I wondered if you used the backroads or stuck to the main roads. There's so many different ways of getting down there, but without an intimate knowledge of the little lanes, I've found in the past I always seem to end up back on A and B roads no matter how hard I try to avoid them.

OP
OP
H

hatler

Guru
That was a lot of fun. As ever, I thought long and hard about whether I really wanted to sacrifice a night's sleep to the thrill of the ride, but (and again, as ever) I came to the conclusion that I did. Right decision.

Too late and too befuddled now to put a proper account together, perhaps tomorrow if there is time.

Anyhow, if I don't, a huge thank you to Simon for another fantastic bit of organisation, and for everyone for their company, particularly the TECs and Tim D and Nigel for chats awheel.

One highlight for me - straight after Balcombe, on the flattish bit of road where the anti-fracking protest has been held recently, I switched all my front lights off and did that bit just by the light of the moon. That was pretty special.

Last edited:
Not many people know this, but Charlie and the night sky were made for each other. Anyone who wants to 'pass the time of day' night learning stuff of the universe would be happy in Charlie's company on a cloudless night; buttons, belts, pointers to Sirius (but not too serious) - he is a galaxy of information.
There was the cloudy red star glowing indolently, it was a magnificent sight in the inky darkness...only when Charlie exhaled did I realise the wonder of Bensonia over the Hedges.
Difficult to capture the information on display on the widescreen in front of us, but it was spectacular, and one of the most interesting nights...easy to get 'in the zone' as Hatler mentions.
We tinkered with photos from time to time - as Tim's essay depicts - here's Jack and Jill, somewhere! Brighton Moonlit 008.jpg and just to the left... Brighton Moonlit 009.jpg Almost too good a landscape was developing. We could see the frosty field too - a sign that it was cold in parts, but no (M)ice on the road although patches of (Br)ice were evident on still water. :smile: No one complained about anything cold or hazardous (apart from the shimmy down the A23 from left to right - led out by Adrian on his Planet X Kapinfront, with perfectly maintained rear tyre/tube combo. Tim and I watched Adrian, and Olaf giving masterclasses, then were entertained by Charlie. It was tufftecstuff, oh yes!)
As it was purley in the morning and the ride was going well, we stopped for some frozen pees at a local supermarket:
Brighton Moonlit 002.jpg
It's a mild Sunday morning in L-Town - get out there and enjoy!

2773465 said:
@Trickedem , your flikr won't let me link the saddest photo in that set. I can't help but think that if only I didn't posess a penis the TECs might have been falling over themselves to help.
Your aura was even more forcefield-like. Any approach by a stranger to the Temple of X was rebuffed instantly. Anyway, it was warm, light, clean, time by the bucketful on our hands and I was having a chat with Tim, whilst learning from you, Master. What's not to like?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I can't pick out the photographs in question, Tim, but it occurs to me that there might be people on this forum who would take exception to you riding down the fast lane of a six lane highway taking photographs................\

chapeau!

:rose:

rb58

Enigma
I can't pick out the photographs in question, Tim, but it occurs to me that there might be people on this forum who would take exception to you riding down the fast lane of a six lane highway taking photographs................\

chapeau!

:rose:
It wasn't so much the fast lane that was the problem, it was more that he stopped to put the tripod up.

Trickedem

Guru
The one of Adrian at prayer is almost Zen-like. Robert M Pirsig nature.
It would appear that rule 49 was also broken http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Tim Hall

A great ride in great company. I took a few photos as always
This was my favourite. No idea unfortunately on who the ghostly riders were though.

View attachment 32695
You know when the clever people at CERN look at a squiggle on a photo and use that to determine the existence of a new particle? Well, using the same process, I'd say the lead rider is our very own rocket scientist. The blue trace is from the LED on his front wheel, going round and moving forward. Either that or we've distorted the space time continuum. Again..

TimO

Guru
I do like this shot for it's slightly cloudy background, even if any clouds were rare for that ride.

10888857835_f3c3b2d2c5_c.jpg

I think it's likely that the earlier shot was of my bike, and I was wearing red, as the blurred apparition appears to be. I think I was the only one with anything illuminated on his wheels, so it seems likely that the odd glowing path was the lights when in the slightly more boring single illuminated LED mode.

I shall have to improve upon things for next year. My current plan is a four CPU design, with each side of the wheel being controlled by a single controller, and a master controller watching the wheel revolutions, and sending the control signals to the illumination controllers. I may put a fourth controller on the handlebars, with a wireless link, to allow me to turn things on and off, and change modes.

It may also be better fitted to the rear wheel. The front wheel has clearance issues, and the bright revolving lights, always in my forward vision was a little annoying!

We always know when one of Tim's rockets whizzes by in the night sky...it looks like Las Vegas in orbit!

As for the lights in you field of vision being a little annoying, Tim - can't you just mount the wheel further back, or bend the forks? A simple solution must lie somewhere...

Meanwhile, I await with interest the collaboration between Tim the Magician, Tim the Rocketeer and Tim the Photojournalist. November 5th 2014 is a day to be noted. We know the countdown will be something like "18 - 15 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 3 - Lift off!" (The three Tim's table playing a major part) and all our bikes will have Guy forks. Night.

OP
OP
H

hatler

Guru
Great ride. No faffing, cycling with a purpose. It really did fly by. Some great sky views.

Approaching the South Downs south of Hassocks as the light was starting to break was superb, and however good those photos are (and they are), they can’t do justice to the grandeur of that heaving bulk of chalk moodily making its presence obvious to us all. Almost mystical.

And then in a trice, a buzz of an altogether different sort as 25 cyclists hared off en masse down the fast lane of the A23 proto-motorway as fast as their cranking would allow them.

Chapeau to whoever asked for a bacon and hash brown bap at the Madeira (were you the one heading on to Hastings ?) I had one too and it hit the spot. I’d have had two if I hadn’t been scooting off. One to remember for next time.

The Lewes extension after the Madeira was fun and was easy to navigate (thank you Adrian via Simon’s re-telling of the best route).

Apologies to Simon, Susie, Tim, Charley, Louise and Julie for my disappearing with Dave at Lewes when the train came in and not saying goodbye or thanking Julie properly for the cup of tea, or Tim for delivering the Grauniad quiz to us all. We scooted along to the first carriage for bikes, conscious that things were going to be a bit squished if we all tried to cram into the one carriage.

And lordy, how squished did it all become. At Haywards Heath they must have just had a whole fleet of buses deliver a bit more than a trainfull of impatient and frustrated Brighton to London travellers. It might also have been that our carriage’s doors were alongside the platform entry. Heaving. And I ended up balanced over my bike without a handhold anywhere near. At East Croydon our bikes were on the platform side so we had to get out with the bikes and there was never a chance we would get back on. The next train was five minutes later and was virtually empty. As it pulled in to Clapham I saw Louise and Julie, but at the other end of the platform, and by the time I got back to them to say goodbye they had already left the station.

I was home in time (just) for domestic duties and was allowed the rare privilege of an afternoon kip, as we were heading out in the evening and Mrs hatler didn’t want to have the pleasure of seeing me fall asleep with my head in the soup.

Well, another FNRttC year is over, and sad to say I only made two, but more’s the pity, the minis didn’t make a single one (I think, my memory’s becoming increasingly unreliable). This wasn’t by design, just a series of really irritating diary clashes.

Fingers crossed that we get a bit luckier next year. The minis have really missed climbing the Beacon with you all this year.

And after another witter from me, here’s a final 2013 THANK YOU to all the people who make these rides such a joy, and, of course, a special vote of thanks to Simon for organising, and to Susie for letting him do it.

(That couple of words doesn’t really do justice to the time and effort that Simon puts in to this, but if the volume of text were to be in proportion, I’d be sitting here tapping away for quite a bit longer, and people might accuse me of sycophancy.)

See you all next year, looking forward to it already.

Robbo

Great ride. No faffing, cycling with a purpose. It really did fly by. Some great sky views.

And after another witter from me, here’s a final 2013 THANK YOU to all the people who make these rides such a joy, and, of course, a special vote of thanks to Simon for organising, and to Susie for letting him do it.

(That couple of words doesn’t really do justice to the time and effort that Simon puts in to this, but if the volume of text were to be in proportion, I’d be sitting here tapping away for quite a bit longer, and people might accuse me of sycophancy.)

See you all next year, looking forward to it already.

Robbo

+1

One of those evenings where it all comes together into something which is (even) greater than the sum of it's parts. Great company, a near cloudless sky, the moon, starts and finally the sun. Yes, hard work on the B2036 especially in the dark when in the distance headlights appear and you think how much higher! But only by being tested can you get the satisfaction of achievement

For all the enjoyment of he ride itself I had to dash off immediately on arrival. I had an early Eurostar and with the works on the line I wanted to be certain of getting back especially as it had been a more . I have written before that FNRttCs take me through various times in my past. Well I had doubled up on Friday by going back to my old school for a careers talk. I then bumped into an old lost friend and caught up on a decade of news some good, some tragic. This added to a route that takes me past the end of the road my Nan and Grandad lived on and now ends in sight of the bench dedicated to my Aunt and Uncle (you can just see it in Ian's photo) meant I had regretfuly to abandon my cycling family for the one waiting for me to return. Mind you if I had known they were doing hash browns in a bun I would have hung around.

Let's see what 2014 brings

And what about the bogs!
Sorry - so undeservedly coarse, but they have to rate as the finest 'formal' facilities we encounter. (Sure, nothing beats en plein air, but it really was a pleasure, Mr Gatwick...I'll come again!) Had to search a bit for an online snap, as I was reluctant to get my apparatus out etc.
You'll notice that each booth has its own glove dryer too - 10/10
20130913-225518.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom