FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 28th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

damn. Left hand shifter completely gone. Ditchling Beacon represents something of a challenge.
(searching through e-bay - there's a DA 7700 left STI in Swindon)
I'd offer you use of the Bianchi were it not way too small.
Along with comments elsewhere, the time may've come to (painfully) upgrade to a newer OS....

Aside from which, have a fine, fine ride y'all. Sorry to not be there.
The forecast's showing an overnight low of 8 or 9°C - take that with a pinch of salt, an extra layer and long fingered gloves in some of the dips (I'm lookin' at you, Agent Hilda):thumbsup:
May the wind be to your backs, and the angels lend you their wings....

JB

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Downtube friction shifters rool. Mine are a zillion years old and still going strong.
to be fair these are nine years old. I'm not going to ten speed - that would be a bit like applying for a bus pass

ianmac62

Guru
Just boarded 2205 train at Northampton. Rather full of rugby supporters for what is usually a quiet train. Northampton Saints beat Wasps 24-6 for what it's worth. Many of those travelling are wearing Saints shirts. Not locals, then. Perhaps Saints are the Man U of rugby.

Unfortunately, one of my chronic illnesses has decided to make an untimely appearance this evening so I'm forced to sit this one out. Very disappointed! Adam has just left to meet the group at Victoria, while I'm sat here gazing at my lovely bike with its full array of lights, packed saddlebag and clothes all laid out ready to put on.

And I was so anticipating that long downhill from Turners Hill to Lindfield. And trying out the Streat variation for the first time.

Hope you all have a lovely, safe time. Looking forward to ride reports and photos.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just had the best coffee of my life, served in plastic cups at the foot of Ditchling Beacon, while a beautiful cloudless morning was breaking. Whoever had the idea of laying on coffee there at that time is a person of some considerable genius!

The usual faultless organisation throughout, though sunshine on the top of the South Downs may have been down to great good fortune. I took the train back to Clapham, and cycled back home - 81 miles door-to-door - enough for me but the Onward Bounders were about to set off for Bexhill to look at a wobbly bus or something...

Right, a pot of tea, and rest for me.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Thanks Simon et al for an excellent ride once again, a lovely clear night and great weather too. Rode back home to South London, 122 miles door to door, which is a very pleasing PB. The FNRttCs I'm starting to get to grips with; the SMRBTH is a different matter and I struggled today. I laboured over the Devil's Dyke, then got a second wind of sorts, but by Gatwick I was a wreck. Thanks to Ian, Ross, Michael and Jochen for bearing with me.

And now to sleep...

wanda2010

Guru
newfhouse, you've got to do another one to get a SMRBTH cap :thumbsup: I've seen one and it looks quite snazzy. I've applied for membership and it's being considered subject to completion of another SMRBTH ^_^

I'm a wreck and I took a slightly diverted train journey, with Simon and Susie, and a short ride home. As always, a superb ride and the Scouts hall staff outdid themselves (I got a slice of Victoria sponge so I'm going to say very very nice things about them :wahhey:) . I've never really paid much attention to the sky at night before but last night/this morning was special. The only lump that defeated me was Ditchling but that was a partial defeat as I managed about 2/3 before walking. I was later given a tip about hill starts which I hope to remember next time.

Wetherspoons: Drink, chat and laughter. To be continued next week please :popcorn::cheers:

ianmac62

Guru
I'd just like to add my two-pennyworth: it was a ride of a million dollars! The friendliness at HPC, the waymarkers in London and throughout, my York roommate Sketchley as TEC, the moon, the Scouts, a meeting with a proper historian of the USSR, the Hatlers' coffee, the Beacon in sunglasses, Brighton glorious, a proper breakfast!

Many thanks, Simon!

Kim and I found that the trains from Clapham Junction to Milton Keynes, and from Milton Keynes to Northampton/Birmingham, were just as crowded as the train from Brighton to Clapham Junction. Thanks to Stuart for keeping me a seat for the first leg!

73 miles when I got home.

Top Bottom