FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 28th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
What a great ride. All the ingredients for a perfect FNRttC were there in abundance, especially the moon and the stars. And the people. That was the easiest TEC stint I have ever done on one of these rides - not a single incident during the first half, although I celebrated this by getting a puncture myself atop Turners Hill. Fondest memories included searching (unsuccessfully) for Agent Hilda's lost cap in Coulsden and giving TMN a tow from the top of the Beacon - and I take my hat off to her - good things really do come in small parcels. I was a little bit worried she might not be able to keep up - pah! Jenny stuck to me wheel with aplomb and ease. Top Job!

The SMRbtH was tougher than usual - I can thank Devil's Dyke for this, and after splitting from the peloton at Crawley and leading Big Michael to Three Bridges station, I headed cross country for what should have been the perfect route home, and which triumphantly concludes with a special choice of hills over the North Downs (this time I elected to go via Chartwell and Hosey Hill). However, my karma was promptly taken away by another pucture - same wheel, different place - close to Lingfield racecourse. First replacement tube had the valve ripped out by my heavy handed pumping, by which time I was started to contemplate the train option. But, no. It was fixed and I had most delightful ride from there, taking my time, savouring the gorgeous day and the lovely surroundings. (And it's really good thing that Ian lent me a tyre lever before we parted ways to replace one I broke doing the Turner's Hill repair, otherwise I'd have been on the train for sure. Thank you Squire!).

Thanks to you all for your company. And a Big Shout Out to Mr DZ for having the idea in the first place as without that, none of it would have happened. Unfortunately, I won't be out next week as I shall be on a beach. But I'll be back for sure.

Ace pics Mice and Tim.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My minimalist manifesto, soon to be made available in handy pre-dog-eared pamphlet form and distributed by True Believers on street corners, lays out my philosophy in great detail, but meanwhile, one bullet point shall suffice:

See what I did there? Just a point, no words. This symbolizes the pure state of nothing, which can only be achieved by highlighting nothing.

dandelionofdesire.jpg

Every potential attachment, not matter how useful it is perceived to be, must be weighed. If desire is found to be heavier than need, desire must be blown to the winds like a dandelion puff.

fullmoon.jpg

Lights. Strictly speaking not necessary. First, there is the full moon, which Simon has thoughtfully arranged to appear on his rides (and which heavenly body summoned the animal spirits in some bystanders, but I digress). If clouds should obscure this, the rods in the human eye, once accustomed to the nocturnal world, are more than adequate to the task. Reflective surfaces can be used to augment this and provide valuable clues. You may as a last resort 'hitchhike' off other people's lights, but as this method robs those others of their chance to attain true enlightenment, it is perhaps best to forgo proselytizing from the saddle.

computerless.gif

Computers. The joy of cycling is not a tale of numbers. Cast these devices into a bottomless pothole and embrace the freedom that comes with not knowing.

garmin.jpg

GPS. Life is meant to be uncertain. Robbing yourself of that uncertainty will ultimately leave you unfulfilled. Alternatively, see above reference to hitchhiking.

kitchensink.gif

Other Things. I think you get the picture.
Coming soon: 'Zen and the Art of Bicycle Riding'. :smile:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A few points
hill climbing Jedi master Martin who sowed the seeds of gravity defiance in this grimpeur padawan's mind from the get go

Martin and his ongoing neuro-linguistic programming during the ride. After my conquering of Turners Hill I was left in no doubt that Ditchling Beacon was 'easy'
Actually, it's a matter of gearing - a low gear is your friend, of course - and attitude. You may Find that as your waistline contracts, so your ambition expands.

I'd cast a vote in favour of the Streat variation. Small dark lanes do it for me.
Ian told me a cracking joke: a man walks into a Perth bakery, looks around and says: "Is that your Ayrshire baking?" to which the baker replies: "No I'm just warming my hands." I thought I'd share that with you.
The post breakfast variation via Lewes to Bexhill takes the ride to 100 miles, or 162k in real money. And it is largely flat, and Jenny's directions were fine, although the A27 is noisy even when you are on the cycle path. Give me the Telscombe sub-variation any time.
My only complaint is about the speed camera in Brighton - does it actually work? I went past at 62kph and no response. Can any Brighton residents of this parish write to the council and complain?
Finally, fast forward 20 years to an old codger in front of the tele, watching the Olympic road race muttering to his grandchildren: "I used to know that rider in front. They used to go up Ditchling Beacon at dawn faster than a tandem in a club I used to be in." Response: "be quiet grandad, that's not possible." Hats off to the mini-Hatlers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I took some pics - extra ones from the top of Ditchling Beacon to hopefully capture the moment anyone was doing this for the first time.

Mice

Thanks Mice.
Nice pic of me and Donna on the Beacon.
She was so very chuffed that she got a round of applause at the top.
She didn't manage to cycle the whole way up but did far better then she ever thought she would. That type of encouragement goes a long way.
And she did manage to climb both Portnalls and Turners.. no mean feat for someone who has only been cycling a short amount of time.

And hey..we always seem to meet on the descent into Brighton don't we?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It was great to meet some faces behind the names on here...but I'm at a loss to know who it was that I was actually talking to on Friday night.

so, (and please don't feel you have to unmask yourself) but who were;

in order of appearance.

• The two chaps that were first to arrive at HPC when my pal and I arrived.
  • The chap that I very nearly said Hi to under the starting arch, as he was the Spit of Ianrauk (how embarrasing would that have been), same glasses, same hat, Gore jersey and a titanium (looking) frame.
  • The first timer who explained the theory of stealth hills to me just before we ran through Mitcham common, past the station
  • The girl riding with Wanda (I think that was Wanda) who I was ear-wigging on as she talked about her Lejog run a few years back...need to swap notes with you.
  • The lady in the pink/purple jacket (and fantastic lights) who I cut up terribly on the run out of Redhill when I totally missed the wayfinder hiding in the bushes and went for an overtake, at just the wrong time (sorry by the way:blush:)
  • The chap on the stealthy looking cyclocross (all black carbon frame) who's wheel I sucked all the way through the twisty fast road out towards Crawley. You may have changed my mind on "decorated" bikes as yours looked smashing.
  • The lady on the white roadie (who was going to pass on a bacon buttie) that I chatted to at the junction stop where the local kids decided to wake the village up with their horn (and got a good shouting from someone in the pack), just before the scout hut stop.
  • The chap in the red jacket with a head light who explained the best way to tackle the beacon. I took your advice word by word and wouldn't have made it up otherwise...so I wanted to thank you.
  • The chap who joined me on my safari through Brighton as we searched for the lesser spotted station entrance, taking in all the biggest hills in Brighton town, that we subsequently realised we didn't need to take in, hope you got back ok.
J

U

User10571

It really does.
Mini miss hatler was very chuffed when she got a cheer at the top. She's still smiling about it now.

[homework extract]
I like cycling up Ditchling Beacon beacuse when I get to the top I get a HUGE cheer.
[/homework extract]
That homework extract is made of pure WIN :smile:

kimble

Veteran
It really does.
[homework extract]
I like cycling up Ditchling Beacon beacuse when I get to the top I get a HUGE cheer.
[/homework extract]

:thumbsup:

(I find getting cheered at the top of the beacon slightly embarrassing. I assume it's because people think recumbents can't climb, or something.)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
  • The chap that I very nearly said Hi to under the starting arch, as he was the Spit of Ianrauk (how embarrasing would that have been), same glasses, same hat, Gore jersey and a titanium (looking) frame.
I am guessing it was rb58 (Ross) - on the left - Tim Hall pic

IMGP9760.JPG

Top Bottom