FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 28th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
a man walks into a Perth bakery, looks around and says: "Is that your Ayrshire baking?" to which the baker replies: "No I'm just warming my hands."

Sorry, while up a ladder fixing a security light I remembered the correct version:
a man walks into a Perth BUTCHERS, looks around and says: "Is that your Ayrshire BACON?" to which the BUTCHER replies: "No I'm just warming my hands."[/quote]
apologies to IanMcS

ianmac62

Guru
Sorry, while up a ladder fixing a security light I remembered the correct version:
a man walks into a Perth BUTCHERS, looks around and says: "Is that your Ayrshire BACON?" to which the BUTCHER replies: "No I'm just warming my hands."
apologies to IanMcS[/quote]
Cheers, mmmmartin! And, to go with Highland English/Gaelic dress,he replies, "No, it's my hands I'm warming!"

ChrisBailey

It was great to meet some faces behind the names on here...but I'm at a loss to know who it was that I was actually talking to on Friday night.

so, (and please don't feel you have to unmask yourself) but who were;

in order of appearance.

• The chap in the red jacket with a head light who explained the best way to tackle the beacon. I took your advice word by word and wouldn't have made it up otherwise...so I wanted to thank you.
J

That would have been me, glad my advice helped.
See you at another FNRTTC.
Chris

Dibdib

Powered by Jelly Babies
Have only previously lurked around these parts for FNRttC info, but wanted to sign up and say thanks for a great night's entertainment. Of course, biggest hat-tips to Simon for all the hard work organising, and to the scouts for the delicious silly o'clock cakey goodness.

• The two chaps that were first to arrive at HPC when my pal and I arrived.

I was one of the first two at HPC - I was the bald one in the red jacket, the other was a chap called Ben who I bumped into getting off the train at Paddington.

Cheers,
Chris

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am guessing it was rb58 (Ross) - on the left - Tim Hall pic

IMGP9760.JPG
yup, that the fella.

Hi Rb58 sorry I stared so intently at you at HPC....I just couldn't work out if you were Ian or not in the dark. The lack of blue gave it away eventually.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I had a good feeling about this one. The last three FNRtCs had been top-notch, and I'd thoroughly enjoyed the Reading CTC nide to Lymington. The sky was looking good, the temperature hanging in there and the wind was neither here nor there, and we had a decent crowd with about twenty newcomers. Chris W. stood in for Davy, Stu, Adam and Grahame stepped up to the Wayfinding plate, people looked happy during the safety talk (or was that the rictus of fear) and despite some notable absentees, we were not short of experience.

A happy start and an equally happy traipse through South London, with one short intermission, about which more later. No undue signs of stress at Portnalls Road or the top of Reigate Hill, lots of chatting, and a great deal of smiling. Lonesome Lane was as lovely as ever, with Simon C steaming along at something over 22mph, but the mood at the southern end was atypical - relaxed, rather than excited, and that gave me the confidence to set off across the Horley Badlands, which were just the right amount of adventurous - big puddles on the gravel section, but not too squishy.

We arrived at The Edifice a whole two minutes early. The Scouts excelled themselves - the homemade cakes were, if anything, too tempting. The same smiles, the same relaxed air, the same chatting. It was, simply, all good.

And it continued. Kim, Dave and David took over at the back, Chris went to the front and tore down the road to Lindfield, Simon C and Sam zoomed past us, my back light fell off but was immediately retrieved by Ian and everybody seemed to be having fun, even those who were finding the distance a bit of a struggle. The same with Slugwash Lane, the same with the lanes through Streat and Westmeston, where we caught up with Family Hatler transporting coffee to the car park. The same at the top of the Beacon - all happy smiley faces, and the same on the seafront. Werner Erhard never had this good.

So - that's my ride report. No triumph over adversity (I don't even rate Vernon's ascent as a triumph, more an assertion of a new natural order of things) and no great drama. Just the happiness that comes from riding bikes.

Postscript 1. We ride to Weatherspoons. People hang about outside the door. I set Agent Hilda on the manager who, looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights, agrees that it would be best if we, all thirteen of us, bring our bikes inside. And it all went rather well - the beer was nice enough, the Wetherspoons aircon worked its magic and the rest of the pre-lunch crowd made us feel welcome. I wasn't much of a beer drinker until The Fridays led me astray, but I have to say that I've developed a taste for it - something about that bike ride, breakfast, beer combo does the soul a world of good.

Postscript 2. The Interloper. I saw him outside (my) Sainsbury's at Wandsworth Road. He got in to a bit of a tangle with a car. Then again, at Clapham Common West Side, he sort of gave away that he wasn't registered. What happened next might not have been elegant, but the simple fact of the matter is this - I looked at him and thought 'profit or loss', decided on 'loss' and told him to fark off. The stuff about insurance was decoration. Those of you who followed the argument might have worked that out.

DogTired

Über Member
a man walks into a Perth BUTCHERS, looks around and says: "Is that your Ayrshire BACON?" to which the BUTCHER replies: "No I'm just warming my hands."
apologies to IanMcS[/quote]

Heh, no the Perth Bakers one was funnier!
"A man walks into a bakers - no hang on - a man walks into a scottish bakers and orders an ayrshire bun. No that can't be right. Hang on, I'll remember it in a minute. A man walks into. No wait, do they make ayrshire cakes?..."

20 miles later... "Or is it a woman. In a hairdressers?"

(Ages ago an Edinburgh chap told me a joke and the punchline was "Heriot-Watt!" in a Scottish accent but I cant remember that either.)

Hope you Bexhill 3 enjoyed the wobbly bus. You nearly talked me into it but the Darth Vader comment about us being distant cousins made me worry about any more revelations. Plus its 6 hours home from Brighton (I think Bexhill qualifies as another timezone for me) and wifely patience has its limits!

wanda2010

Guru
"I wasn't much of a beer drinker until The Fridays led me astray, but I have to say that I've developed a taste for it"

Seconded! :thumbsup:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
"I wasn't much of a beer drinker until The Fridays led me astray, but I have to say that I've developed a taste for it"

Seconded! :thumbsup:
On the other hand, beer tastes so great in the morning and afternoon that I've had to restrict myself to only drinking when the sun goes down. It's a question of survival. Or at least surviving longer to drink beer....

I haven't been to Brighton for over a year, and I'd been intrigued by the Streat variation. So even though I wasn't feeling 100%, having been suffering from some lurgy all week, and despite Rebecca having to cancel, probably due to some dodgy scampi, I turned up at Victoria to meet the usual suspects.

Heading off through South London, one (of many) good things about having done so many FNRttC trips for over 7 years, is that having travelled those roads so often now, I can happily just look around me, taking in all the sights, sounds and smells of wonderful London and enjoy the ambience, without worrying about not knowing how long that little hill is, or knowing that once I manoeuvre round that particular pothole, the road is smooth again for a bit. And all the while, I can see a snaking line of flashing or steady red lights stretching away in front of me, occasionally bunching up as we congregate at lights, and then elongating again. Of course, once we're into the outer suburbs, then often it was just the 4 or 5 of us clustered around someone taking it a bit easier, whilst the pack was racing away ahead. And really, that was all that happened, or rather, everything went as it should be, thanks to Simon's planning. In the first half, I think the only drama was Susie losing her cap just before Portnalls Road - despite Ross and I going back up the road to search for it, it was nowhere to be seen.

And then once we'd descended Reigate Hill, we were out in the countryside, and the clouds which earlier had been masking the moon at times cleared. The FNRttC truly shows that we are all, in one sense of the word, lunatics, for we were definitely moonstruck. For a while on Lonesome Lane, I was in my own little bubble, with no-one visible in front or behind, and the bright gaze of the moon was shining all around, lighting up the fields and giving an icy white glow to the road. And the stars. OMG the stars. White dots scattered on a black canvas. Sheer bliss. And then, when our speeding wheels brought us back to suburbia and an alternative reality, surprisingly, there weren't even any comedy drunks in Horley. So a double whammy.

The Scout Hut again did us proud - although I did wonder how and why can 6 people decide to volunteer to dish out food and drink at 4 am on a Saturday morning!

IMG_1354.jpg

And then setting off again, it was a bit chilly. However, as I'd discovered my front dérailleur was playing up, and would only work on the big ring with some rubbing, I left it on the smaller ring and spun my way from the back of the ride towards the front, to warm myself up, and zoomed up Turners Hill. And then after that, it was the usual ups and downs - at times there were even a few wisps of fog. The Streat variation was quite nice - hilly and I'd imagine some of those lanes could be nasty if there was more traffic, but certainly more picturesque than the road leading to Ditchling Village. The Hatlers dishing out coffee was clearly being appreciated by many - although I didn't partake, and merely inhaled.

IMG_1363.jpg

And that lead nicely onto the Beacon - which is now nicely tarmaced, so yet another nice thing about the ride. I didn't zoom up Ditchling though, and just took it steadily as my lung capacity wasn't quite what it should be, and I certainly couldn't manage the 3 times that I think Sam did. It was nice to cheer people though, and to see smiling faces, as people achieved a personal goal.

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

And finally we rolled into Brighton, for the usual magnificent breakfast at the Madeira.

Simon seemed to have some beer money

IMG_1383.jpg

so a few of us followed him, with bikes as mentioned above, into Wetherspoons.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

The rest of the photos can be found here, whilst the gpx file for the trip is here.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
So - that's my ride report. No triumph over adversity (I don't even rate Vernon's ascent as a triumph, more an assertion of a new natural order of things) and no great drama. Just the happiness that comes from riding bikes.

A very astute observation. Now that the adrenaline rush from cresting the Beacon has subsided I realise that several doors of opportunity have opened.

Several London start FNRttC have been added to my calendar for next year. Prior engagements with pre-booked Audaxes and a gig precludes a visit to do another FNRttC before the end of the year. Several hilly Audaxes have been added to next year's ride calendar in a bid to collect 5 or 6 AAA points.

It's a good feeling being able to look a hilly ride entry form in the eyes with no fear or doubt in my mind.

DaveJ

Über Member
Some pics:
DSCF0423.JPG

DSCF0433.JPG

IMAG0012_cr.jpg

DSCF0443.JPG

A great ride. Magic between Turners Hill and Lindfield with the big moon just above the horizon. Streat Lane, the Undercliff and The Beacon were beautiful in the early morning light. Breakfast was as quick and welcome as ever at the Madeira Cafe. They really have got that worked out perfectly.

And so off to see the Wobbly Bus in Bexhill with Mmmartin and CharlieB. Jenny's route worked well. We sat and watched the world go by from a coffee shop on Lewes, and then dozed (or at least I did) in the sun at the Sovereign Light Cafe before going on to admire the bus.

Top Bottom