FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
looks almost pink in that photo :biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just for Ian:

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
oh what fun it is too see blackpool win away Hey!

See the words are easy too.

Tim Hall

There was a particularly lovely shaft of sunlight about two-thirds of the way up Ditchling - the sun was at the perfect angle to illuminate the inside of the tunnel of leaves, making a cracking contrast with the previous bend"s gloom.

I'm disappointed the official photographer didn't stop the tandem to capture the moment for posterity.

Ahem. The official photographer was otherwise engaged, trying to do stuff like balance and breathe and keep his heart rate below 200.

Tim Hall

(I thought I'd posted this earlier, but it's vanished)

1. Ian is right, I need sort out the colours. I fiddled with the colour balance and the fill light, as I hadn't taken into account the fact that I was shooting into the sun, so Ian was hidden in the shadows.

2. I too am red green colour blind. This means I'll never be allowed to drive a train nor fly a plane for a living. It also means I have a stunning taste in choice of bike frame colour.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ahem. The official photographer was otherwise engaged, trying to do stuff like balance and breathe and keep his heart rate below 200.
The only time Mrs W has come on the Brighton run with me, I called on her to "push hard" every so often to hoick the tandem up the nasty slopes.

TimO

Guru
Continuing with the Curiosity story, for those interested, JPL has released a video taken from the MARDI (Mars Descent Imager) camera, which is on the underside of the rover, and looks directly down. It's really there to provide context, and to aid them in locating exactly where the rover landed. Eventually they'll get the complete set of HD images at five frames a second, but currently they've only downloaded the thumbnails. This video is 297 images, and you can see the heat shield falling away from the rover right at the start (you can't see anything until that happens!). The odd outline of the video is probably because the camera will have a somewhat fisheye wide-angle optical system, so they'll have "linearised" the image to look more sensible to us. You can also see one of the wheels right at the end, when it's been fully deployed from the spacecraft.

The Mars Descent Imager looks directly down. Wow - can it see any MARDI grass?

hatler

Guru
At a quarter to four this morning Daisy arrives home in a taxi to find her stepfather stumbling around the kitchen with a sheet wrapped around him...
<snip>
There's every chance that the second boy, the boy with red hair will do so again in 2051. That's the way history is made.

Brilliant. Needless to say Joe loved that. Thank you.

Not sure why but this was the easiest FNRttC I have done, which is odd 'cos I've hardly been on the bike recently.

The light show projected onto the Houses of Parliament was fantastic and I stopped for five minutes to watch. Stills of glorious GB gold winning moments complete with the associated commentary booming out. Very stirring stuff.

Not much more I can add really. Great company (though some notable absentees) meant that it was all over in a flash. I completely missed the teddy bears (though I realise now why there was a little gaggle of riders stopped outside a house) and didn't hear a peacock and didn't see any albino wallabies. Must listen/look harder next time.

All credit for the coffee must go to Lu who not only has to brew it all but get two children up, fed (porridge no less), watered and dressed, all about three hours earlier than they have been getting up recently.

The children love doing the end of this ride, they both get a real sense of achievement, so thank you one and all for making them so welcome.

I'm slightly worried about Joe though. It's not going to be too long before I start having to load the coffee onto his bike to slow him down.

StuartG

slower but further
There's every chance that the second boy, the boy with red hair will do so again in 2051. That's the way history is made.
Maybe fired up on caffeine served at Ditchling bottom by a sprightly 97 year old on an aggressively geared mobility scooter ...

StuartG

slower but further
That is quite a scary prospect.
Not only do I know his future but I took a photograph of it ...

Davros_Wisher.png

Top Bottom