FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton 9th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Coach drivers are often quite relaxed about it, but it's only the workhorse I would consider slinging in the luggage compartment on its side and hoping it made it unscathed. Plus there's usually at least 40 mins of added faff whenever replacement buses are involved. If I had a tailwind I'd be hopeful about beating the bus to Cardiff...
Only in England have I been slung off a busted train and told "on yer bike" by the rail replacement "bus" service. In both Wales and Scotland they been happy to put the bike in last, or in another bit of the boot, rather than see me have to cycle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't recall enjoying it at all.
You seemed in very good spririts when you caught us.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Only in England have I been slung off a busted train and told "on yer bike" by the rail replacement "bus" service. In both Wales and Scotland they been happy to put the bike in last, or in another bit of the boot, rather than see me have to cycle.

There was a nice Spanish "train manager" at Swansea on Friday. She let me put my bike in the power car and instructed the chap in the buffet to give me free coffee.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Coach drivers are often quite relaxed about it, but it's only the workhorse I would consider slinging in the luggage compartment on its side and hoping it made it unscathed. Plus there's usually at least 40 mins of added faff whenever replacement buses are involved. If I had a tailwind I'd be hopeful about beating the bus to Cardiff...
Indeed. The Viner was not going in the hold.

swansonj

Guru
Well it was MAHOOSIVE. It looked like a mattress.

I was exhausted and found it a tough ride, but, for all that, I'm glad I came. Thank you, Fridayspeeps. Might write more later when not posting from a fiddly phone. For now, I have to attempt to get home. This looks as though it will entail riding between Newport and Cardiff, where the train will be taking a little rest...
Please, please tell me it will not involve a change at Bristol Parkway. I would feel it was all my fault.....

swansonj

Guru
Not at all, trying to gain some understanding of other people's area of expertise is what I do.
Indeed - and I seem to recall it was mutual.

One of the (many) surreal pleasures of a Friday is cycling along in your own little cocoon of light with nothing but darkness all around you. Then you become aware of another bike light in the distance. Then it gets closer. Then it becomes a distinguishable cocoon of light round a bike of itself, then your two cocoons merge, and, a single cocoon of light still surrounded by darkness, you find yourself talking, and before you know where you are the other person turns out to have a fascinating wealth of information about the politics of Stalin, or the economics of running campsites, or how to keep clean room manufacturing facilities clean, or how HMRC get their just desserts from drug dealers. And your life is the richer for it.

Of course, if the other person just says "F***ing rain f**** wind I hate this f***** road", the life-enhancing benefit to you may not be quite as great. But it's still fun.

Last edited:

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Clive, Adam and Titus. Many thanks.

Simon it is always a pleasure.

@Flying Dodo if you ever find yourself standing outside a train station at 5am on a very wet night with warm, dry running trains to your destination and some silly man on a Brompton says why don't we cycle the 30 miles instead as it would be fun. Just tell me to shut up......

All I can say is thank you for your company and your encouragement and you will be pleased to hear that after 10 months I have finally repaired the puncture on the Panorama so I can once again enjoy the wonders of cycling with 27 gears.....

Captain Defect

Regular
Thanks to simon for arranging this event. It was my second one, and although it was very wet & windy, I made it, and had a good time. Hope to see you all next month going to whitsable. Thanks to all those that gave me encouragement to keep going, i must admit i was struggling near the end, but glad I done it. Sorry we missed you at the pub afterwards. We (myself and 2 others) went to the weatherspoons and they would not let us in with our bikes. we waited outside, cold and wet for half an hour and no others arrived, so we headed to the station and got a group save to victoria. My new bike worked well and had decent brakes, good job i wasn't on the old 1980's Apollo racer, that thing don't stop in the dry let alone the wet! See you all next month.

Wobblers

Euthermic
When the weather forecasts had become increasingly damp, I'd decided to blame that @Fab Foodie fellow who only ever turns up when it rains. I was explaining this to Adam at HPC, somewhat to the consternation of the chap next to us... who turned out to be Fab Foodie! In my defence, I have to say that you look nothing at all like your avatar. But, yes, it was still your fault.

Much has already been said about the rain. My cunning plan was to bring not one but two waterproofs with me, the outer one rather handily having a hood for those times spent standing and pointing at street corners. It would have worked too, if only I had put on the second waterproof... As it was, things were a little damp by the time we got to Faygate. Happily, a little rain and wind is not sufficient to dampen the enthusiasm shown in these rides - though I do find a little Dalwhinnie helps, for medicinal reasons, of course... though I did wonder why I seemed to be unusually popular... This time, I managed to spot @Captain Defect's yellow tights. They're... bright, aren't they? I'm totally at a loss as to how I failed to see them on the Felpham ride!

I do have to confess something of a feeling of relief when we got to the Madeira even still. We were so early that they were still unpacking chairs and tables: they hadn't expected us for another half hour at least, but even so, they still managed to serve us breakfasts and hot drinks with surprising speed. Afterwards, some of us repaired to Wetherspoons for extra sustenance and recuperation - I'll pass quickly over my unorthodox dismount and go straight to the relief at being able to - at last! - put on a pair of dry socks. Bliss! I can't imagine any other situation where I'd slog through the night with a facefull of cold rain and a miserable headwind, and not regret it.

Anyway, it was splendid to meet your acquaintance at last FF. You can come back! But next time, could you leave the rain behind?

Agent Hilda

The Babe
Head of IT to General Manager
'Good morning Susie,nice weekend?'

General Manager to Head of IT
'Yes. I cycled 50 something miles in the pissing rain, 7mm of which fell on Adam and I. Charlie covered the rear end. I discovered that I find punctures funny. User10571 kissed me. I briefly saw Pippsy who I miss madly. Titus did his sexy bike dance. My Gore jacket kept my shoulders dry but everything other inch of me was wet. I had half a cheese sandwich at The Cabin Café and an upset tummy. DZ made us cycle up some hills and I had to get off once. Adrian was kind, no more than kind. I thought, why did they make her eat the fish in The Tin Drum? and Why can I only hit 28 in my 7xtable and then I get stuck? and why haven't I got my new pedals on? Sonia nearly fell off in the mud but Charlie was there and would have saved her. The cycle track to Brighton was lonely. I took all my clothes off in the toilets in Brighton and put other damp ones on. Claudine dried my gloves in the hand dryer. I had a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich at The Maderia Café. I dripped on the train whilst himself slept. We lay in the sun in The Gardens. Then we watched PepsiIPL2014 and drank fizz. Then we slept again. What did you do?'

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When the weather forecasts had become increasingly damp, I'd decided to blame that @Fab Foodie fellow who only ever turns up when it rains. I was explaining this to Adam at HPC, somewhat to the consternation of the chap next to us... who turned out to be Fab Foodie! In my defence, I have to say that you look nothing at all like your avatar. But, yes, it was still your fault.

Anyway, it was splendid to meet your acquaintance at last FF. You can come back! But next time, could you leave the rain behind?

I do seem to bring my own black clouds with me on these trips :sad:
Apologies all :tongue:

Nice to meet you too Mc Wobble!
Appreciated the Dalwhinnie too, thanks for being so generous with it, warmth for all in the cold morning light.
Somewhere I have a photo of a cycle specific spirit flask and bike mount made in Oregon, I'll look it out for you!
I'll let you know when rainman's planning another ride .....

Top Bottom