FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton 9th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Toughest FNRttC I've been on? Nope. Compared to Brighton November '09 (which had the parallels of a midway stop at the Cabin, with resulting waterlogged floor, and Pippa and User10571 amongst others deciding that the train was a more sensible option), or Wetstable, or Emsworth....nope. But tough, nonetheless. That headwind sucked the life out of me. I'm used to being at the front or thereabouts, but much of the time I was at the back, or it felt like it. I stayed warm (the layers that felt like an overheating burden early on coming into their own), but the water seemed all pervasive, again- everything was at least damp. Had two pairs of gloves, not sure that was an advantage as I just got both pairs sodden.

I'd been a bit remiss on the pre-ride eating (when I'm doing the work-then-train-to-ride thing I usually get a sandwich to eat en route, not last night though), which probably didn't help my lack of pace, but the weather was the main culprit. To get to the Cabin, even at the back of what felt like a very long queue, was a relief- the doorstop, tea and bread pudding hit the spot as always.

That second stretch I think ranks as necessary, rather than a pleasure- I agree with Greg on Deak's Lane (that surface was dreadful), but it was a case of getting to Brighton as soon as. Grim and bear it. The fact that so many of the new/newer riders seemed nonetheless seemed to have a great time is a good sign though.

Serious chapeau to the centurions. For some reason, 48 miles into a 25 mph head/crosswind did not appeal very much, and even riding up to Brighton station was hard work (though the frankly bizarre diversions etc in town didn't help). Back home, after an equally hard ride back from Cosham, at about 11am. And following the catnap, I collected the Trek from its service. Timing couldn't be helped, but the disc brakes and mudguards would have been handy last night.....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I can't add any more really to the wealth of good reports about the ride to Brighton already published ... except:
Paramo clothing though pricey is bloody wonderful.
Claudine's exclamation at the size of my cheese kept me warm through the second half of the ride.
Frikkin P*ncture 5 miles from the finish and then again as I went to depart Madeira drive ....
Not coming to drink brown bheer at 9am in excellent company ... next time ...

Following the last point, I had decided that there and back was my plan, for a variety of reasons I don't get many long/hard rides in these days and this date worked-in perfectly with the families activities and other life stuff. I'd loved to have drunk with you guys, but drinking is something I do far too much of as it is.

So, in the absence of ianrauk and p*ncture fixed I left the cafe around 0930 and immediately ran over broken glass ... fortunately without issue. I pased an open bike shop and restocked on tubes and then followed NC20 along the A23 to Crawley keeping my fingers crossed regarding flints and other cycle-path debris. The rain abated. The tailwind was epic at times, even propelling me at 24kph up an slight incline without pedalling. Buoyed by the extra power I took my life in my hands and rode the A23 and A217 to Reigate, with the wind behind me I powered along at around 20mph without issue the sun also at my back.
A nice cafe stop in Reigate and several chats to persons of a certain age marvelling at the Holdsworth, I climbed Reigate hill at snails pace and then let the wind blast me along the A217 to Sutton and then to Morden. All was well, until Rose Hill whereupon the heavens opened and the stairods fell. Within a mile to 'home' at the MIL's I was as soaked as when I arrived at Brighton :angry:
The bike looked like shoot when I got back (as did I), I grabbed a beer and fell into bed.
5 hours including several nibble stops for a ride total of 107 wild miles. I'm a happy bunny.

There's a certain sadistic pleasure in discomfort shared, I had a good time. Thanks all for great company, thanks for Mr Pearson Fixie for insulating tape to fix my overshoes in Sutton, the TEC's for P*uncture assistance, the wayfinders and those requesting my presence at the Weatherspoons (sic).
Beano, Joey, nice to meet too.

Finally and importantly, (as ever), thanks to Simon, Susie for making this rolling joy possible.
Love all
FF.

PS - BIL is about to wimp out on our London bimble tomorrow due to forcast of 'light rain' ..... PAH!

Last edited:
I can't add any more really to the wealth of good reports about the ride to Brighton already published ... except:
Paramo clothing though pricey is bloody wonderful.
Claudine's exclamation at the size of my cheese kept me warm through the second half of the ride.
Frikkin P*ncture 5 miles from the finish and then again as I went to depart Madeira drive ....
Not coming to drink brown bheer at 9am in excellent company ... next time ...

Following the last point, I had decided that there and back was my plan, for a variety of reasons I don't get many long/hard rides in these days and this date worked-in perfectly with the families activities and other life stuff. I'd loved to have drunk with you guys, but drinking is something I do far too much of as it is.

So, in the absence of ianrauk and p*ncture fixed I left the cafe around 0930 and immediately ran over broken glass ... fortunately without issue. I pased an open bike shop and restocked on tubes and then followed NC20 along the A23 to Crawley keeping my fingers crossed regarding flints and other cycle-path debris. The rain abated. The tailwind was epic at times, even propelling me at 24kph up an slight incline without pedalling. Buoyed by the extra power I took my life in my hands and rode the A23 and A217 to Reigate, with the wind behind me I powered along at around 20mph without issue the sun also at my back.
A nice cafe stop in Reigate and several chats to persons of a certain age marvelling at the Holdsworth, I climbed Reigate hill at snails pace and then let the wind blast me along the A217 to Sutton and then to Morden. All was well, until Rose Hill whereupon the heavens opened and the stairods fell. Within a mile to 'home' at the MIL's I was as soaked as when I arrived at Brighton :angry:
The bike looked like **** when I got back (as did I), I grabbed a beer and fell into bed.
5 hours including several nibble stops for a ride total of 107 wild miles. I'm a happy bunny.

There's a certain sadistic pleasure in discomfort shared, I had a good time. Thanks all for great company, thanks for Mr Pearson Fixie for insulating tape to fix my overshoes in Sutton, the TEC's for P*uncture assistance, the wayfinders and those requesting my presence at the Weatherspoons (sic).
Beano, Joey, nice to meet too.

Finally and importantly, (as ever), thanks to Simon, Susie for making this rolling joy possible.
Love all
FF.

PS - BIL is about to wimp out on our London bimble tomorrow due to forcast of 'light rain' ..... PAH!

Chapeau!

In fact your reference to the glass after leaving the cafe reminded me that I also ran over that. I heard a tinkling and saw a big spume of broken glass fragments spouting up, over and around my front wheel as I ran over whatever it was. No puncture either. So just like the rain wasn't really heavy rain, the glass in Brighton isn't really proper glass. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Chapeau to all who did the ride.

I had all good intentions of doing the ride, being an all weather commuter and cyclist I wasn't go to let the rain stop me. I woke up Friday morning with a headache and sore throat, oh well, nothing a few anadin extra wouldnt fix. It looked like it had abated. So went to bed at 6pm a for a few hours. Woke up at 9pm with the same symptoms I had in the morning. Bollocks to it, just get on the bike and ride. So made my way to HPC. Half way in I realised it was a silly thing to do. I just wasn't feeling good and the headache had returned worse then ever. So popped into Victoria Station, spoke to Adrian and Claudine briefly, texted Simon & Ross and made my way back home.

During friday night the symptoms did get worse resulting in yesterday spent most of the day in bed dosed up with all sorts of pills and potions.

So sorry every one, especially Simon for letting you down at the very last minute.

See you for the Whitstable ride

ps congrats on the 100 100's @rb58

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Claudine's exclamation at the size of my cheese kept me warm through the second half of the ride

Well it was MAHOOSIVE. It looked like a mattress.

I was exhausted and found it a tough ride, but, for all that, I'm glad I came. Thank you, Fridayspeeps. Might write more later when not posting from a fiddly phone. For now, I have to attempt to get home. This looks as though it will entail riding between Newport and Cardiff, where the train will be taking a little rest...

Wobblers

Euthermic
Well it was MAHOOSIVE. It looked like a mattress.

I was exhausted and found it a tough ride, but, for all that, I'm glad I came. Thank you, Fridayspeeps. Might write more later when not posting from a fiddly phone. For now, I have to attempt to get home. This looks as though it will entail riding between Newport and Cardiff, where the train will be taking a little rest...

It's just as well the Welsh wind's blowing in its usual easterly direction....

StuAff

This looks as though it will entail riding between Newport and Cardiff..
Been there, done that.....:smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Been there, done that.....:smile:
I have cycled between Newport and Cardiff myself, in happier circumstances. Call me a demanding customer, but at £80 return (now labelled "Super Off Peak" because continuing to call it a "Supersaver" was inviting snorts of derision) I was kinda hoping they wouldn't miss out the odd 15 miles here and there...

StuAff

I have cycled between Newport and Cardiff myself, in happier circumstances. Call me a demanding customer, but at £80 return (now labelled "Super Off Peak" because continuing to call it a "Supersaver" was inviting snorts of derision) I was kinda hoping they wouldn't miss out the odd 15 miles here and there...
Quite! All too reminiscent of my unwanted extra ride between Bristol Temple Meads and Newport last year. I remember there was another cyclist who (I presume) was going to ask very nicely if he could put his bike on the coach (and no doubt get moaned at for no good reason, wasn't our fault there were problems). Riding (the usual self-inflicted navigation fails nothwithstanding) definitely seemed like a better option...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Quite! All too reminiscent of my unwanted extra ride between Bristol Temple Meads and Newport last year. I remember there was another cyclist who (I presume) was going to ask very nicely if he could put his bike on the coach (and no doubt get moaned at for no good reason, wasn't our fault there were problems). Riding (the usual self-inflicted navigation fails nothwithstanding) definitely seemed like a better option...

Coach drivers are often quite relaxed about it, but it's only the workhorse I would consider slinging in the luggage compartment on its side and hoping it made it unscathed. Plus there's usually at least 40 mins of added faff whenever replacement buses are involved. If I had a tailwind I'd be hopeful about beating the bus to Cardiff...

Top Bottom