FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton 9th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As it was, things were a little damp by the time we got to Faygate. Happily, a little rain and wind is not sufficient to dampen the enthusiasm shown in these rides - though I do find a little Dalwhinnie helps, for medicinal reasons, of course... though I did wonder why I seemed to be unusually popular...
How appropriate you should be packing a whisky from the distillery with the lowest mean temperature in the whole of Scotland.... ;)

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Head of IT to General Manager
'Good morning Susie,nice weekend?'

General Manager to Head of IT
'Yes. I cycled 50 something miles in the ****ing rain, 7mm of which fell on Adam and I. Charlie covered the rear end. I discovered that I find punctures funny. User10571 kissed me. I briefly saw Pippsy who I miss madly. Titus did his sexy bike dance. My Gore jacket kept my shoulders dry but everything other inch of me was wet. I had half a cheese sandwich at The Cabin Café and an upset tummy. DZ made us cycle up some hills and I had to get off once. Adrian was kind, no more than kind. I thought, why did they make her eat the fish in The Tin Drum? and Why can I only hit 28 in my 7xtable and then I get stuck? and why haven't I got my new pedals on? Sonia nearly fell off in the mud but Charlie was there and would have saved her. The cycle track to Brighton was lonely. I took all my clothes off in the toilets in Brighton and put other damp ones on. Claudine dried my gloves in the hand dryer. I had a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich at The Maderia Café. I dripped on the train whilst himself slept. We lay in the sun in The Gardens. Then we watched PepsiIPL2014 and drank fizz. Then we slept again. What did you do?'

Glad my little bottom wiggle makes you smile.....

wanda2010

Guru
@Fab Foodie - What Paramo jacket did you wear? I may investigate to see if they do a child's/xxs version ^_^

Edit: The Quito jacket seems like a good one for my cycling and running. Will try to visit the shop this week.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Wanda, I have the
@Fab Foodie - What Paramo jacket did you wear? I may investigate to see if they do a child's/xxs version ^_^

Edit: The Quito jacket seems like a good one for my cycling and running. Will try to visit the shop this week.
Hi Wanda

I have the Velez-lite smock which is very similar to the Quito (which is probably slightly more flexible having the zip front) because I wanted the front pocket of the smock design. Whichever you choose they are great products. The downside apart from cost is that they are bulkier than regular cycle jackets but the upside is you rarely need to take them off and they are very comfortable to wear.

Nice meeting you btw.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Great night out. Would anyone believe me if I said I enjoyed it, given the inclement condtions? Thank you all.

Slightly off-topic, and venturing into definite train spotter territory, I noticed as we dropped down a steep cycle path in the Clayton area, we passed a deep railway cuttng on our right. Not having made that approach to Brighton before, it was a new viewpoint, for me at any rate.
Which led me to muse on the rain on the way home that the London-Brighton train line is one heck of an engineering feat. There are what, 4 or 5 substantial tunnels, and the inevitable cuttings needed to approach them, the Ouse viaduct near Balcombe, etc., etc. People seem to hold up the Tring cutting, up near my way, as the bench mark of railway groundwork engineering, but some of the work from London to Brighton dwarfs that.
Train spottery over. (for now)

Fab Foodie

Heads over to Ebay...........

Go Outdoors - usually have good prices too on Paramo.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Great night out. Would anyone believe me if I said I enjoyed it, given the inclement condtions? Thank you all.

Slightly off-topic, and venturing into definite train spotter territory, I noticed as we dropped down a steep cycle path in the Clayton area, we passed a deep railway cuttng on our right. Not having made that approach to Brighton before, it was a new viewpoint, for me at any rate.
Which led me to muse on the rain on the way home that the London-Brighton train line is one heck of an engineering feat. There are what, 4 or 5 substantial tunnels, and the inevitable cuttings needed to approach them, the Ouse viaduct near Balcombe, etc., etc. People seem to hold up the Tring cutting, up near my way, as the bench mark of railway groundwork engineering, but some of the work from London to Brighton dwarfs that.
Train spottery over. (for now)
Tring cutting? Jeepers, Creepers, have your Peepers never seen the Welwyn Viaduct? Proper Rail Enthusiasts (never, ever referred to as Spotters) rate the Welwyn Viaduct far higher than the Glenfinnan and Balcombe combined, but, notwithstanding that, they are all as nothing to the four track viaduct that runs from Waterloo to Esher!

Fab Foodie

That'll be Ahearne in Portland, I think.

ETA: They featured in my report on the Bespoked Show as one of the few non-bicycle items I took photos of! You have to scroll down a bit to see them but there are photos here.
That's the one, I have photos on my 'puter somewhere from Bespoke, it's on my Christmas list!

swansonj

Guru
Tring cutting? Jeepers, Creepers, have your Peepers never seen the Welwyn Viaduct? Proper Rail Enthusiasts (never, ever referred to as Spotters) rate the Welwyn Viaduct far higher than the Glenfinnan and Balcombe combined, but, notwithstanding that, they are all as nothing to the four track viaduct that runs from Waterloo to Esher!
I was once bored during the lunch break of a conference being held at the Institute of Civil Engineers, so I wandered into their bookshop. There was a wonderful tome just on the civil engineering of the M25 - yard by yard descriptions. I learnt that my local stretch from J9 towards the new Cobham services is in fact a low-height concrete viaduct over a flood plain that the author opined was the most impressive structure of the whole M25. And there was me thinking it was just a road.

Top Bottom