FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton April 26th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
The two of you were separated at birth, perhaps? :giggle: Well done both :thumbsup:

It was my first FNRttC. I decided to do this one for a couple of reasons, the main one being it was my birthday on the Saturday, what better start could you have than a ride from London to Brighton?
It would also give me the chance to catch up with a few of my relatives that still live in Surrey/Sussex over the weekend . So I set off from Manchester at 11am on the Friday, for the long drive down to the hotel we had booked in to at Burgess Hill. Luckily there were no major hold ups and we booked into the hotel with plenty of time for me to have a few hours sleep and grab a meal (and sneaky pint) in the hotel restaurant. I caught the train from Brighton to Victoria with minutes to spare and was met at Platform 10 by a group of FNRttCers who would direct me to Hyde park corner.
After registering with Simon in his shorts (mad?) and having the general safety speech we were on our way through South London, at this point it was not too cold. Luckily I had decided to put an extra layer on just before I left and although I looked and felt like the Michelin man, at least I was warm! A few lumps and bumps and a bit of waiting and we were at the top of Reigate Hill. This was another reason I wanted to do the ride, I was born in Horley and lived in the Redhill/Reigate area until about 15 years ago when I moved T'up North, so I knew a lot of the roads we would be riding. After a quick decent into Reigate (didnt manage to beat my 54mph record down Reigate Hill) we were soon on Lonesome lane in the darkness and by now quite cold temperature. I still know this road like the back of my hand and despite my light not being too bright, I could keep a decent pace up around the twisty turns. I said a quick hello to the bears at the (haunted) house on the corner as I past (cant believe they are still there) and then we were in Horley. After the shenanigans that were previously highlighted, I now remember why I moved away! We proceeded down Haroldslea drive ( I didnt see the ghosts of the Roman legion that are supposed to show themselves on that road occasionally) to the badlands, it was quite a picture looking back and seeing all the lights in single file procession down the bumpy and groovey road.
I must admit I am in awe of people that get up in the middle of the night to make sandwiches etc for a bunch of cyclists! It is much appreciated. Going back out into the cold after the warmth of the scout hut was a bit of an effort and it took a few miles in the lowest gear I could get, to generate some heat into my legs but that was soon forgotten as we had a few climbs and the sun made an appearance. There was a bit of hanging around, but that is to be expected on a ride with so many riders and mixed abilities. I did my first bit of waymarking on the run to the bottom of Ditchling beacon, it was quite nice standing in the sun waiting for Davy at the back and I then had a chance to burn a bit of energy getting up Ditchling beacon. Its been a long time since I last did this hill on a BHF ride and I found it easy 15 years ago, partly because you cant burn your legs out going so slowly with so many people, but since I only got back in the saddle last year, my fitness levels are not what they were and I had to jump off near the top to put my chain onto the granny ring by hand (I broke my front mech last weekend in the lakes and only had a double to replace it) but made it to the top with a bit of puffing and wheezing.
The drop down into Brighton is always a nice experience. you can get a bit of a move on and try and set of various speed cameras on the hills! The sight of the cafe and cyclists was a sight for sore eyes (or is that legs)
I had arranged for my better half to pick me up and take me back to the hotel in Burgess Hill, so I did not partake of the bacon butties as the hotel did a very nice cooked breakfast (complete with black pudding) So I paid my £2 dues to Simon and after a few pics made my way back to the hotel.
I enjoyed the ride and the company and will try to do a few more this year as it is a great experience.
Thanks to the wayfinders and tail end charlies, a great job.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Martin Archer
Aha.. I wondered what had happened on Ditchling. We embarked on the climb together. You went whizzing up ahead of me, I turned a corner and saw you fettling with your chain.

54mph down Reigate Hill.. blimey.. braver man then me :thumbsup:

Really glad you enjoyed the ride.

Tim Hall

A few lumps and bumps and a bit of waiting and we were at the top of Reigate Hill. This was another reason I wanted to do the ride, I was born in Horley and lived in the Redhill/Reigate area until about 15 years ago when I moved T'up North, so I knew a lot of the roads we would be riding.

Hey! I was born in Horley too. Did you go to school there too? Which rider are you? I was the annoying one with the camera, riding the black fixer.

I went to Balcombe road or Oakwood as it is now. (I rode back up there Sunday to have a look around Horley and Reigate)
This me at Brighton:
524855_619615651400016_1089937184_n.jpg

Yep that was me.

Great night! I went on a bit of a photo fest. Trying to get used to my new camera you see.
Photos are here.

Comedy moment: When I was waymarking at Reigate, a person under the influence came to stand next to me: "Never seen anything like this on a Sunday morning". I pointed out that is was Saturday morning. A stream of expletives followed. Then I pointed out the full moon. Another stream of expletives followed. "Never seen anything like that either", he said. Good thing he recorded everything on his iPhone.

I felt haunted by the moon. How can you be haunted, when it's out there in front of you all the time.

Great night, thanks to Simon, TECs and riders.

IMG_0316.JPG

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Great night! I went on a bit of a photo fest. Trying to get used to my new camera you see.
Photos are here.

Comedy moment: When I was waymarking at Reigate, a person under the influence came to stand next to me: "Never seen anything like this on a Sunday morning". I pointed out that is was Saturday morning. A stream of expletives followed. Then I pointed out the full moon. Another stream of expletives followed. "Never seen anything like that either", he said. Good thing he recorded everything on his iPhone.

I felt haunted by the moon. How can you be haunted, when it's out there in front of you all the time.

Great night, thanks to Simon, TECs and riders.

IMG_0316.JPG
Fantastic pictures of a great ride! Thank you.

Top Bottom