FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Burnham-on-Crouch 24th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
While we're on the subject, can someone just clear something up for me? I always thought the shout of 'CAR UP!' was an indication that rider/s should get back in line smartish because a car was approaching from behind (cf. Adam's post earlier). Likewise the shout of 'CAR DOWN!' means a car is approaching from the opposite direction, and the shouter has seen it before the rest of the bunch has done so. Safety procedure. With me so far?

Is it really necessary to bellow 'CAR UP', 'CAR DOWN', etc, for every vehicle, in situations where everyone can see/hear the vehicle for themselves and everyone's in single file anyway? I mean, come on - there's enough pointless noise in the world already, without adding to it unnecessarily and straining one's vocal cords with all this bloody SHOUTING in the peaceful country lanes of, for example, Essex.

Just sayin'.

I don't think it matters whether people shout 'car up' or 'car down' - the message is clear and the majority of the people on our rides haven't any experience of CTC rides, so, frankly, they don't know either way - they just get the message that a car's coming. I shout 'car behind' sometimes because it's as plain as plain can be,

As for shouting - it's standard practice on CTC rides and they've been doing it for a hundred gazillion years, so I reckon they know what they're about. None of us are at our smartest at three in the morning, and it does no harm to be given a warning.

On narrow roads in Normandy we are really, truly going to have to get our act together. My plan, and it's a good one, is to have one, two or three cyclists a couple of hundred metres ahead of the bunch and simply wave down oncoming traffic. And the rest of us are going to have to single out pretty swiftly. I do think we can prevail upon cars coming the other way to pretty much stop, and we're going to do the polite people abroad thing and pull over to let cars by (that sounds tedious, but it's not going to happen very often), but with high-banked roads no more than four metres across there's going to be none of that half-wheeling mullarkey.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
oh - and another vote for the Chiltern line. Turn up, pay your fare, take the bike on, no reservations neccessary, and, at this time of year, a lovely, lovely route. Be aware, though, that the national rail website doesn't mention them unless pressed - it just gives you the Virgin times. That, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that the website is owned by one R. Branson.

On narrow roads in Normandy we are really, truly going to have to get our act together. My plan, and it's a good one, is to have one, two or three cyclists a couple of hundred metres ahead of the bunch and simply wave down oncoming traffic. And the rest of us are going to have to single out pretty swiftly. I do think we can prevail upon cars coming the other way to pretty much stop, and we're going to do the polite people abroad thing and pull over to let cars by (that sounds tedious, but it's not going to happen very often), but with high-banked roads no more than four metres across there's going to be none of that half-wheeling mullarkey.

The bocage can lead to some hairy moments, I was telling Charlie about my brush with a truck last year while we were in stock eating that lovely bakewell. It wasn't a small truck but we didn't see each other til it was nearly too late. Mind you, other than that, riding round there (east of Caen) was marvellous.

Thanks to all the Tecs, wayfarers, Tullys and of course Simon for another good ride, that stretch after stock was just magical, perfect light, cracking surface (til we hit that v v v bumpy bit) and v little traffic - exactly what I do these rides for.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm with TMN on this. There really is no need to repeatedly shout CAR!CAR!CAR! at the top of ones voice for every single vehicle that passes. People are not silly. Just once is enough (if really needed) and it soon spreads down or up through the group very quickly.

So while we are on a little whinge. What does get my goat is people undertaking and/or overtaking between two cyclists. I had to have a moan at one particular individual for doing that a few times. Once was between myself and LongMartin as we were going at speed. Hey, that's not too bad as both myself and LM are very experienced cyclists. However I had to shout at the same person to not do the same to 2 relatively new riders to FNR's.

Tim Hall

Back to the ride for a minute: I love the Escher-type geometry after Brentwood. Gentle downhill for miles to the ford, a brief bit of up, fill up on Bakewell tart, then gentle downhill for ever afterwards. Or so it seemed.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, one of the big rules is - never, ever, ever overtake on the left. And that's because there's a wide range of experience on the ride, and people who aren't so very clued up can be taken by surprise. Hang back, wait until it's convenient, and go past on the right - and if you're cheesed off about it, have a word with me when we next stop and I'll put out a general reminder.

I'm not going to legislate about shouting 'car'. To be honest I'm still concerned about people not shouting 'hole', albeit that the route get's recce'd in a big way, and if I think a particular hole is a problem then I'll have somebody stand nearby.

[QUOTE 2473377, member: 30090"]Yeah and the fact the people really do need to learn the basics of road positioning as mentioned. Yeah it is at night, yeah more than likely we are the only ones on the road for x amount of miles but please still stick to the left. I remember on one ride I was behind two people riding side by side and they were so far out to the right if I wanted to overtake I'd of had to go in the opposite lane. Quick shout of 'on your left' and rode through but still, there should be no need for it.[/quote]

Actually, I must confess to being guilty here. Being on the tandem, at one point about 8 miles before Burnham, I'd wobbled to the right and ran out of steam a bit on the forward progress, meaning someone behind had no option but to undertake. He was very good though at saying "on your left", and I apologised. That's the downside of the tandem - it's a bit like an oil tanker for manoeuvrability! (More fun and greener though).

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
That's another CTC diktat - always make special allowances for tandems, don't get in their way, and give them the road where possible. You and Rebecca did magnificently on this ride and looked as though you were having a brilliant time; I think you two have found your metier:smile:.
Never heard it called that before.........

StuartG

slower but further
oh - and another vote for the Chiltern line. Turn up, pay your fare, take the bike on, no reservations neccessary, and, at this time of year, a lovely, lovely route. Be aware, though, that the national rail website doesn't mention them unless pressed - it just gives you the Virgin times. That, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that the website is owned by one R. Branson.
You didn't mention the £3.95 fares (with railcard) free wifi, electricity and lots & lots of tables. Oh and guards who are awfully polite and apologise if you lost your ticket and let you through (yes really) plus trolley service and arriving at a proper railway station in Birmingham (below). Only downside - avoid services that stop at Bicester North. Don't ask.

stf_67.jpg

Yes - still bl**dy chilly up there ...

Tim Hall

Bzzt. Just poked Birmingham (all stations) to London (all stations) into the National Rail Enquiries website. Options for Chiltern, London Midland and Virgin all pop up without further ado.

Top Bottom