FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Burnham-on-Crouch 24th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
There was a bit of a climb up to Stock, but with a nice bit of turbo boost from Rebecca, we were quickly parked up next to the Bromptons. After spotting Darth Vader's cousin

and probably the one of the best jerseys seen this year

Getting on the train was an adventure, as there were all sorts of super hero characters for some reason:-

DSCF2040_zps0e8fde5e.jpg

Spiderman, Bananaman and Hong Kong Phooey are all superheros (Specially Phooey)

But who is the 4th one? Super-hoodie showing his special power of enjoying a bollard, anytime, anywhere?

Sounds like you all had a great time, hopefully I will be able to do a Fnrttc one day... or can you organise one to a bit of the coast that's close to Birmingham?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

But who is the 4th one? Super-hoodie showing his special power of enjoying a bollard, anytime, anywhere?

Sounds like you all had a great time, hopefully I will be able to do a Fnrttc one day... or can you organise one to a bit of the coast that's close to Birmingham?

Get a train down to London friday night...others from Brum do...McWobble & Kimble for instance.

BigGee

The superheros must have all been going to the Comic Con at Excel. Just showed the picture to my son who was there and he is sure that he saw them in the queue!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

They are not normal Bollards, they are his super power. He has the power to "make" special bollards. look closely, he's making one now.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Another thoroughly good night out a nice gentile route apart from the 2 yes 2 ramps up to Brentwood High Street but it was worth it to see reality TV Gold aka The Sugar Hut. Some lovely roads and sights under the full moon clear RAIN FREE @Davywalnuts (cough cough)! I got to do some waymarking which was fun. A cracking breakfast to end it all and then a trip back to London with some interesting characters in keeping with the theme of the pictures above :ph34r: . Although it was nice to not have the normal folk on public transport sniggering and pointing at the lycra clad fat bloke :biggrin:. Thanks again @dellzeqq for organizing a brilliant route another smashing bunch of people willing to get up at silly o clock to make the finest sandwiches cakes and hot drinks money can buy,and for a fine tasty breakfast stop at the end.

Many Thanks.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Friday started for me at 6am and a full day of work followed, upon checking for forum for news I discovered a truly heinous situation.. What was it?, I hear you cry........ had Simon decided to wear full length tights in weather warmer than what is required for another Ice age???........ Had Ian decided that he was going to buy a helmet and bell? ..... Ohh no it was something far worse Davey had decided to remove his mudguards and equally made noises about being the owner of a Jacket :eek:
This made Markst1 feel rejected as he would not need to bring additional clothing for Davey, it perplexed Ian as he wondered what Davey would bitch about if it was not being cold and me, I was just concerned for the weather and sure enough the misery began late afternoon, not a down poor, not a drizzle, just miserable which was a shame since the weather had been nice all week. From this point forward miserable weather will be referred to as being 'all a bit Davey' ;)
The weather continued into the evening as I met Markst1 and we made our way to HPC to meet a slightly smaller group than that we had ventured out for my very first fnrttc.. was it to be expected or was it due to the weather being a little bit Davey, I never did discover this but the absence of the destroyer of sunshine and wamth was noted.
Looking around HPC saw a range of fantastic plastic, long bikes with big wheels, folding bikes with small wheels and a range of metal and tin, there was also a range of smiles, shivering and people talking.
Heading into the night London seemed a little more quiet than I remember for the Brighton run, we passed down by the river and the wheel looked awesome, it was glowing blue and it illuminated the skyline, I thought to myself that we take so much time to see what is wrong with my home town, but so little time to see what is right. London simply looked beautiful, it was a rekindled lost love and I adored her once more.
As time went by we headed towards and underpass which prompted calls from people who had been on the ride before to yell.. "Left, Left" ... this is the route the ride usually takes, however the correct route was to go through the underpass, caos ensued as bikes swung around looking for space, being of a build that will likely mean Bob Geldof gets involved with feeding me at some point permitted me to claim the space I needed swiftly and I disappeared into the underpass like a rat up a drain pipe.
Eventually it was my turn to be a way maker, and this occurred a few times during the night. personally I adore doing my little bit during the ride and the challenge of riding from the back to the front, the 'woosh woosh' sound that deep dish Zipp wheels make at speed seemed to resonate a little louder on the quiet streets. Eventually the time I had been on my feet and the long day started to catch up with me, I started to blow and struggle, my last effort left me badly out of breath and looking for energy, my night as a way finder was sadly over.
I continued to turn the pedals which appeared to crank the warmer morning sun further into the sky as my fnrttc evolved into an epic quest for coffee and bacon.
A nice ride, with the usual banter, handsome blokes with Di2 :whistle: friendship and fun.
Next time your on a ride, take some time to really look at London, she really is a stunner at times.

Thanks to Simon for doing this madness, the wayfinders, the tail end charlies, the people who got punctures and the people who fixed them, the people who fed me, the fella with the best Jelly babies ever, Markst1 for buying breakfast, the drunk who walked into a wall with a loud thud and amused me greatly.... hope you all got home OK.

BigGee

I lived in Stratford for 10 years, quite a few moons ago long before Olympic games were even being talked about and consequently used to roll up and down the Mile End Rd more times than I care to remember. Prior to that, when I lived in Stepney, I used to run up and down it training for marathons. Jobs and locations have changed for me now and I find myself a bit of a stranger these days other than when I ride up to the start of a FNRttC or back again on our easterly excursions. It is always consequently always a bit of a trip down memory lane for me.

I can't help noticing hospitals that I used to work in that are now redundant and awaiting redevelopment, as has already happened to all the breweries that used to line the road. This time Instead of stopping at Simon's usual 'place of atonement' at Bow we pulled in at the garage just before the flyover, the very spot where 25 years ago I was knocked arse over elbow over the handlebars by a hit and run driver and left with a broken leg by the side of the road. Memories of another sort come back but it never put me off and I am still in the saddle all these years later.

Stratford came and went, changed almost out of recognition now from my time. The thing that sums it up for me is that the garage I used to get my old rover serviced at now is a Porsche dealership! There was not to much demand for that when I lived there. Then down Romford Rd with its all night shops, Whoever does need to pop out to buy some fruit and veg at two in the morning.

Romford was pretty sedate by the standards of some visits there. No runouts from the kebab shop, fights nor police chases this time, Brentwood provided cobblestones and drunks in equal measure. a puncture stop gave us a little time there and the locals proved to be in good humour and willing to endulge in a bit of banter this time. We were impressed to see local chivalry is not completely dead when we witnessed a young man give his shoes to his very drunk girlfriend, dressed fetchingly in a red tinsel dress. The challenges of nine inch heels proving to much for her in the state she was in. He declined to trade the heels for his trainers and continued on in his socks. we were equally impressed to see him coming back the same way a little later, reunited with his shoes. Clearly no action to be had at home that night so may as well carry on drinking! The true Essex spirit!

This ride really does give us the worst and then the best of Essex. After the excess of Romford and Brentwood suddenly we are out into the country and into rolling hills. quiet lanes, fords and windmills and probably the best halfway stop that we go to at Stock. You sure get a lot of food there for your fiver, all homemade and tastes great. It had got cold by the time we stopped, it always does as soon as you leave the city, down to 2 degrees on my Garmin, so a good hour in the warm was just what we needed. By the time we were done and heading off again it was already light and slowly starting to warm up again.

I had never been to Burnham on Crouch before this morning. I played against their rugby team a few times when I lived down in Harwich, but never on their turf and my dad used to pilot ships full of Russian timber into Creaksea so I felt I had a vague connection with the place. It turned out to be a quiet pleasant coastal backwater and I am sure a pleasant place to live. They certainly have a great place to have breakfast.

The rides to the east of London are the ones that make cycling home an attractive proposition for me as I don't have to cross London south to north. I had allowed myself to be warned off the dreaded B1010 and had plotted another route which gave me 48 miles to do. Considering we had only done 53 mls from HPC to get down there from HPC I am not sure it was the most economical of journeys home. I kept seeing familiar bits that we had passed earlier as I cris crossed our outward journey. It certainly is a right old rabbit warren of roads in and around Stock in particular. I stuck with my Garmin though, I am still fairly new to it and am learning its little tricks but it did not let me down and brought me safety home in just under three and a half hours and feeling pretty pleased with my effort. Three hours kip later I was even able to get up to see Nibali wrap up the Giro at the top of a 2000m mountain in a blizzard. Puts our moans about the weather into some sort of perspective.

I ended up with 116 mls for the round trip, my longest ride of this year so far and surprisingly over 1000m of climbing. It is a myth that Essex is flat!

Thanks as usual to Simon for the fantastic organisation and a great ride. The Tulley family were also as brilliant as usual, good food and warm welcomes and the breakfast in Burnham was great as well. I have learnt all about the virtues of Calvados to revive you at the top of a hard climb (unfortunately as a non drinker a bit wasted on me, but I am prepared to believe it!) and got to have a play with a a Di2 shifter. They do look great, one day maybe but then again I do like my retro bikes. Then finally just as I was leaving Burnham someone told me that my fratello was a great looking bike. All in all a great night with a great crowd.

Looking forward to next week already.

Can you tell me which service you use, and do you have to book a bike place?

If you can get a cheap Virgin ticket by booking some time in advance, then you have to book a bike place. You have to leave your bike in the special compartment at one end of the train. For buying any rail tickets, I tend to use the Southern Railways web site, as that lets you buy the ticket and reserve the bike place all at the same time online.

London Midland trains are slower but generally cheaper than Virgin when booking advance tickets. They don't require any bike reservations. The train crew are always very relaxed about the numbers of bikes allowed on, and I've been on trains with umpteen bikes crammed into various doorways, as well as in the normal area next to the toilet.

As an example, on July 26th when the FNRttC goes to fabulous Felpham, for just £6 you can get a ticket from Birmingham New Street arriving at Euston just after 11 pm which takes about 2 hours on London Midland. The cheapest Virgin train is £7.50, which takes around 1½ hours. The closer you leave getting the tickets, the more the price goes up, markedly so in the case of Virgin's fares.

So, as you can see, it's very easy and cheap to get a train to do a FNRttC. So no more excuses!

The superheros must have all been going to the Comic Con at Excel. Just showed the picture to my son who was there and he is sure that he saw them in the queue!

Aha. It was very surreal though. Especially as Burnham-on-Crouch is a very small place, as there was also Superman, Spiderman and a few others getting on there, so it was odd to have so many "enthusiasts" from such a backwater. And when we got on the train, there were more already on board.

A final thought.

If anyone climbing the big hill up to Brentwood High Street (or at any other time) vaguely remembers hearing some shouting about cars behind and being told to pull over and go single file, (and especially if you didn't hear any shouting as I was losing my voice), here is a health warning:-.

Don't cycle 2 riders across the road when there are cars behind you, and especially not when there are traffic islands in the middle of the road. It's dangerous.

The most common cycle club warning of cars zooming up behind is Car Up, but as I realised there were a lot of new people on the ride, I was deliberately calling out that there was a car behind and people should go single file. Some people did, some didn't.

BigGee

Aha. It was very surreal though. Especially as Burnham-on-Crouch is a very small place, as there was also Superman, Spiderman and a few others getting on there, so it was odd to have so many "enthusiasts" from such a backwater. And when we got on the train, there were more already on board.

My son is old enough to go to these things himself now thankfully but I did get badgered into taking him once when he was younger, somewhat reluctantly I have to say as it is really not my sort of thing.

When there however I was completely knocked over by the sheer numbers of people there in full costume. Every comic or science fiction character you have ever heard of and plenty that you have not!

It is good to know that people that go out and cycle all night are not the only bunch of eccentrics around!

Top Bottom