FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Burnham-on-Crouch 24th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Another FNRttC first for me. After some Bavarian beer tasting at LMNH, I was home at 2.30pm and went for a short nap. When I woke up again, it was midnight. :blink:. Neither my alarm clock nor Katharina, wo rang several times on all available phones, could wake me up. I missed a colleague's BBQ party as well as the footie. Being in Germany over the weekend, poor Katharina already started to fret about my material wellbeing....

Anyway, it was - once again - a great ride with an epic sunrise and some really amazing vistas of dreamlike Essex under the full moon. Thanks to Simon!

Here's the track, including the Witham leg: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=kyhfrxffqnmjzvim

Mice merges two days together 82 Miles 12.4 ave, top speed 27.9 on the Road Bike. :bicycle:
36 hours after a fabulous trip to Normandy I was off to Hyde Park Corner to meet up with the Fridays to ride to Burham on Crouch.

My recently acquired Cyo 2 light and hub dynamo thingy (luckily specced directly to the shop by Arallsopp who knows a thing or two about - well everything!) had done me well in France. Fit and Forget was the expression Mmmartin had used. No batteries, extra lights, faffing, are they on or off - nothing to think about. Apart from the battle of the Shimano Adjuster which was battling with the light switch. :wacko:

A pootle round Hyde Park proved the point when I could not change into the big ring at the front. Turning up at an FNRttC with a mechanical is not what night riding is about. Very, very luckily for me the Lovely CharlieB, Flying Dodo and TimH armed with a cable tie fixed the problem during the safety talk. Thank you peeps. Truly. :bravo:

This meant that I couldnt spend as much time gawping at Flying Dodo and Rebecca Olds tandem. I have been so excited about them doing a ride on their bike since the moment they bought it last year. And here it was. I tried to take as many photos of it and them as possible. :bicycle::bicycle:

Despite the concern of the cable, there is something completely magical about reaching Hyde Park Corner for an FNRttC. The little lights flashing, the hellos to people you know as friends and those who soon become them, the sounds of laughter about nothing in particular, the worries about the wardrobe and the wager on whether a certain cyclist with legs longer than I have ever seen will be there before midnight... (he was)! The Banter, the bicycles - will Ianrauk notice how clean my bike is (he did!) It's all fantastic.

The safety talk was completed, the All Up Man was frozen up in South London so the Agent H took the role and stayed at the back of the ride in his place. We weaved our way down to Parliament Square, along the embankment and eastwards to Essex.

Regrouping at various spots on the way, waymarkers marking the way, the night life of London full of alcohol, high heels and mild hysteria. The welcome to Essex from a chap staggering out of a pub "F+++ in Ell - it's the F+++ in Tour de France innit!" :laugh:

A turn to the right, to the left, up to Brentwood and out into the countryside. It was cold - the Nelson Carradice is perfect for extra gloves, socks, jackets, gilets and indeed a fleece (I hate being cold) none of which I needed for quite some time. :cold:

I never quite know where I am on these rides but suddenly we are in the countryside. The sky was clear and the moon was full and visible. We swooped past houses, up and down hills twisting and turning as we weaved our way towards Stock. I did a wayfaring stint on the way and once the All Up words were heard headed off admiring the power of my new light highlighting potholes and things not to cycle over. This included Stuaff! He was in the middle of the road kindly guiding us all over a little bridge rather than go through a ford. I thought he might have trouble persuading Olav to use the bridge...! (When Olav and I cycled to Germany in November we went through fords that covered his Moulton Hub!) :rain:

There was a moment when the moon high in the sky could be seen at the same time that a tiny but very powerful orange ball could be seen peeping from the horizon. Beautiful. Little did I know what was to follow.

Arriving in Stock Village Hall always makes me smile. It's one of my favourite stopsies. The welcome so warm, the food fantastic and the lovely Tully family serving smiles and sandwiches without a hint of what time it really is! Not forgetting their Bakewell Tart which is the very best ever.

It's always colder after a stop. I put on another layer and we headed out into the dawn. What a dawn. The red sky was breathtaking in itself but nothing prepared me for the sunrise. I don't remember ever seeing something so beautiful. The sun had three wisps of cloud across it - like a Christmas tree decoration. It truly took my breath away.

The roads ahead were typical FNRttC standard. Narrow, weaving, rolling, full of laughter and enormous fun. Heading towards Burnham on Crouch I waymarked another turn. What a spot. A lovely little lane which gave me the opportunity to take pics of peeps as they headed towards me. Burnham on Crouch is a marvellous place. The cafe is absolutely tops. How they keep us all so well fed, so efficiently with great service I have no idea.

After breakfast I was allowed to have a ride on the Tandem. OMG! How exciting was that! We rode up and down the waterside - it was really comfortable and I loved it! Thank you Flying Dodo and Rebecca O!

A further 17 miles later found us past Morden isnt it great that I knew where we were oops thank you Ianrauk) Malden and at Witham where mathematicians did their Group Save Stuff! About a mile later from Liverpool Street Station we were in Look Mum No Hands (or rather Look Mum No Chips) for beersies.

A truly great Friday Night Ride with fab peeps and lots of fun. Thank you everyone - and extra enormous thanks as ever to Their Leggships who make cycling - daytime or night time - the very best cycling experience ever - every single time. I took some pics https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCI2A7KKdqo_ChwE&feat=directlink

Mice:hello:

Attachments

• HPC.jpg
    HPC.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Hellos at HPC.jpg
    Hellos at HPC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Tandemites Smiling.jpg
    Tandemites Smiling.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Regrouping in Brentwood.jpg
    Regrouping in Brentwood.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Team Tully Part A.jpg
    Team Tully Part A.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Simply Breathtaking.jpg
    Simply Breathtaking.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Tandem turning Right.jpg
    Tandem turning Right.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Eyes Left.jpg
    Eyes Left.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 31
  • OMG Im on the Tandem Whoop Whoop.jpg
    OMG Im on the Tandem Whoop Whoop.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 34

Dibdib

Powered by Jelly Babies
It's always colder after a stop. I put on another layer and we headed out into the dawn. What a dawn. The red sky was breathtaking in itself but nothing prepared me for the sunrise. I don't remember ever seeing something so beautiful. The sun had three wisps of cloud across it - like a Christmas tree decoration. It truly took my breath away.

Oh my, absolutely. All morning I was wishing that I'd stopped and taken a picture of it, but yours is so good that I'm glad I didn't bother :-)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Another FNRttC first for me. After some Bavarian beer tasting at LMNH, I was home at 2.30pm and went for a short nap. When I woke up again, it was midnight. :blink:. Neither my alarm clock nor Katharina, wo rang several times on all available phones, could wake me up. I missed a colleague's BBQ party as well as the footie. Being in Germany over the weekend, poor Katharina already started to fret about my material wellbeing....

Anyway, it was - once again - a great ride with an epic sunrise and some really amazing vistas of dreamlike Essex under the full moon. Thanks to Simon!

Here's the track, including the Witham leg: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=kyhfrxffqnmjzvim
ah-ha! Our beer consumption precluded riding home. We hailed a taxi. He looked doubtful. 'Streatham Hill?' So I said 'the question is this - do you want to take us or not. Because if you don't, we don't want to get in to the cab'. Pleasantries were exchanged, and the next cab pulled over and took us to Streatham Hill, during which time we talked about riding bicycles through the night and all sorts of good stuff, and he laughed and we laughed, and we gave him thirty quid, so, listen up black cab drivers - if you can't do it with a smile, don't bother!

And then we went to sleep. And woke at 7.40. Not knowing whether it was 7.40 in the evening, or 7.40 in the morning. I devised a simple test. If channel 3 was showing a fantastic game of footy it was 7.40 in the evening. Which it was!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
2472429 said:
On the subject of calling "car up", I have to say that the group of fourteen that rode to Witham were very well behaved on that score. I guess being compact enough to shout from the back to the front in one go helps.
On the subject of calling "all up" I think we should just buy a small bugle and be done with it.
On the subject of being all round good eggs, Olaf. Thanks for fixing my loose mudguard stay while I was eating sandwiches and cake (N.B. Frank, yes both of those). That was above and beyond.
On the subject of beer, yellow is not necessarily inferior.
20090711161931!Policeman.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also, in a service to all London-dwelling FNRttCers, I seem to have just picked half of the capital's gutter-glass out of my tyres. You're all welcome.

How come?
Checked mine this morning and was happy to see didn't pick up a single bit of glass, stone or other crap

Dibdib