FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Burnham-on-Crouch 24th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was but now I'm not, having been invited to a daytime barbecue on the Saturday where wakefulness will be mandatory.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
So how far is it to Burnham on Crouch then?
Simon's route is 55 miles, via Stock. Bikehike gave me 48 miles back to Waterloo :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not sure about my availability for this, but that hasn't stopped me planning a route back home. Can anyone comment on the sanity of this: From B-o-C head towards Billericay via S Woodham Ferrers. Then head S to Tilbury where I believe there is a ferry to Gravesend (anyone have any experience of this?). Seems to be doable on smallish roads.

S of the river I'm on home-ish turf. Once clear of Gravesend it's a nice ride to Swanley, beyond which things get more urban so I'd just hop on the train from there - it's just a few stops.

U

User10571

In a word. Don't.
The road between BoC and SWF is awful.
Fast, narrow, few places to be overtaken safely.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks. I'll replan tonight avoiding that stretch. How do we get to B-o-C? (so I can go back the same way)

U

User10571

The regular ferry service (not the one we used last time) was supposed to have been reinstated in March- might be worth checking that out.
Alternatively Dogtrousers coud hop on a train from BoC to Billericay and then continue the rest of it as described above, happy in the knowledge that he's alive as a result of not having cycled along the B1012.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Indeed it does. Burnham Ferry
8.45 from BoC.
and then about seven miles to Hockley.

User10571's right about the B1012. Horrible road

rb58

Enigma
Not sure about my availability for this, but that hasn't stopped me planning a route back home. Can anyone comment on the sanity of this: From B-o-C head towards Billericay via S Woodham Ferrers. Then head S to Tilbury where I believe there is a ferry to Gravesend (anyone have any experience of this?). Seems to be doable on smallish roads.

S of the river I'm on home-ish turf. Once clear of Gravesend it's a nice ride to Swanley, beyond which things get more urban so I'd just hop on the train from there - it's just a few stops.

I've used the Tilbury Ferry loads of times. Google it and you'll find the timetable. Single fare is about £3. You need to carry your bike on. Simple. Or you could go on to the Dartford Crossing and get across for free - which is what the SMRbtH normally does.

Sadly I shall be missing this one to accompany Mrs rb58 for the night at a posh hotel in Chelsea, followed by the Chelsea Flower show on the Saturday. Doubt I'll be able to take my bike in though.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adrian C
Alan C
Amanda O
Anne M
Chris F
Claudia C
Claudine C
David Nd
David P
Davy S
Donna C
Geoff S
Grahame D
Ian At
Jenny M
John M
Mark St
Mark W
Martin T
Michael A
Miranda S
Nick L
Peter D
Peter M
Rebecca O
Richard G
Sonia W
Stuart A
Susie F
Tacey L
Titus H

Tim Hall

Sadly I shall be missing this one to accompany Mrs rb58 for the night at a posh hotel in Chelsea, followed by the Chelsea Flower show on the Saturday. Doubt I'll be able to take my bike in though.

Sir obviously needs a bike like this one:
IMGP0285.JPG

Top Bottom