FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Burnham-on-Crouch 26th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

I......... How big is this ferry?

From memory it's 'about' the same size rib as the one we use between Mersea Island and Brightlingsea on the Harwich ride - so about 8 bikes capacity (ish) maybe 6, but it's a very short crossing - a call to Mark the ferryman I'm sure would give you the answer. Mice might remember better than I do, the last time I used it was in her company.

From memory it's 'about' the same size rib as the one we use between Mersea Island and Brightlingsea on the Harwich ride - so about 8 bikes capacity (ish) maybe 6, but it's a very short crossing - a call to Mark the ferryman I'm sure would give you the answer. Mice might remember better than I do, the last time I used it was in her company.

Not sure it was as big as the ones on the FNRttC Southwold but these pics might help (if this is the right ride!!)

Mice

Attachments

• All Aboard.jpg
    All Aboard.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Jurek Sunday Sailing.jpg
    Jurek Sunday Sailing.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Water Taxi for Hire.jpg
    Water Taxi for Hire.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 42
U

User10571

Thanks, Mice. That was the ride I was thinking of.
So, a fair bit smaller than the Mersea Island / Brightlingsea jobbie.
I reckon six bikes, max.

U

User10571

OK, so here's the score.
I've just spoken with Mark the ferryman.
Last weekend was his last weekend.
He sold the boat. Yesterday.:rolleyes:
He doesn't have the number of the new owner, but is pretty sure that they're going to take it out of the water for repairs, and it'll not be back in service until next March.
He's suggested I ring the harbour master at Essex Marina to find out what the score is.
From what he's just told me though, it doesn't look particularly good :sad:

EDIT: I've just checked Essex Marina's website which says the seasonal end of the ferry service is at the end or September. I'll try and think of a joke for my next post to cheer everybody up.

Me please Simon. E-mail sent.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
is it silly for me to plan on doing this?

10:04 Burnham-On-Crouch
10:30 Wickford Train GREATER ANGLIA 00h 26
10:41 Wickford
11:18 London Liverpool Street Train GREATER ANGLIA 00h 37

Tim Hall

OK, so here's the score.
I've just spoken with Mark the ferryman.
Last weekend was his last weekend.
He sold the boat. Yesterday.:rolleyes:
He doesn't have the number of the new owner, but is pretty sure that they're going to take it out of the water for repairs, and it'll not be back in service until next March.
He's suggested I ring the harbour master at Essex Marina to find out what the score is.
From what he's just told me though, it doesn't look particularly good :sad:

EDIT: I've just checked Essex Marina's website which says the seasonal end of the ferry service is at the end or September. I'll try and think of a joke for my next post to cheer everybody up.
<mode=chief brody>You're going to need a bigger nother boat.</mode>

If we all bring lots and lots of spare inner tubes we could float our way across.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
User10571 has sorted the boat to Wallasea - details in a week or two. Stock village hall is opening for us.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As you say. I'd better start pumping this one. In other news Cycle mag will give the Fridays £100 for an article to be published at the beginning of next year. It's not a fortune, but if Dan finds out how long it took me to write the thing, he'll offer fifty. Dan is able to use Ian's snaps, which are, apparently, top quality.

Top Bottom