FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Cardiff to Swansea 20th May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Stuart A
Adrian C
John Gr
Claudine C
Steve R
Andrew T
Andrij B
Chris G
Susie F
Kerry R
Judith C
Frank P
Colin F
Jan G
Jenny M
Adam B
Mick D
Clive B
Marilyn B

(Ahem)

Me too please (another one with a massive bunch of tickets bought months ago).

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sorry chaps - I'm bringing the spreadsheet to the forum, and then taking the forum posts back to the spreadsheet.....

StuartG

slower but further
I would very much like to do this. A bonus is I need to go to Wales that weekend anyway.

Except it is to the wrong part of Wales, New Quay in Cardiganshire. A train to Carmarthen covers the easy bit (which would be more fun to ride anyway). The difficulty is the 'up & over' from Carmarthen towards Aberystwyth. Difficult in the best of times - but probably beyond me after an overnight and certainly beyond me if the weather is imperfect.

I assume the X40 bus does not carry cycles and taking the train via Shrewsbury a bit silly. Is there an option I have not thought of?

Help!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I would very much like to do this. A bonus is I need to go to Wales that weekend anyway.

Except it is to the wrong part of Wales, New Quay in Cardiganshire. A train to Carmarthen covers the easy bit (which would be more fun to ride anyway). The difficulty is the 'up & over' from Carmarthen towards Aberystwyth. Difficult in the best of times - but probably beyond me after an overnight and certainly beyond me if the weather is imperfect.

I assume the X40 bus does not carry cycles and taking the train via Shrewsbury a bit silly. Is there an option I have not thought of?

Help!

Slim chance of getting your bike on any of the buses, unfortunately. Carmarthen to New Quay is less than 30 miles. Hilly, admittedly - Lukesdad might be able to suggest route variations to dodge the most objectionable climbs, but there's no getting away from them thar hills in that bit of the world. I must admit I wouldn't fancy it straight after a night ride, especially if you are likely to be carrying stuff. Can you have a bit of a kip Saturday afternoon, Frank-stylee, or perhaps even overnight in Swansea or Carmarthen and get there Sunday morning?

StuartG

slower but further
Can you have a bit of a kip Saturday afternoon, Frank-stylee, or perhaps even overnight in Swansea or Carmarthen and get there Sunday morning?
Its a road best cycled at night - usually absolutely deserted. West Walers are all in bed by 9! Whereas by day its pretty dangerous - fast traffic, lots of lorries and some blind corners and narrow bits.

If only I do the FNRttC on my Brompton and then take the bus. But with only 3 gears?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Just found some cheap train tickets from my local station ... so can I come too please.

Much as Frank's tour sounds delightful I shall limit myself to the night ride.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Its a road best cycled at night - usually absolutely deserted. West Walers are all in bed by 9! Whereas by day its pretty dangerous - fast traffic, lots of lorries and some blind corners and narrow bits.

If only I do the FNRttC on my Brompton and then take the bus. But with only 3 gears?

Route isn't finalised yet, but by Welsh standards the FNRttC won't be hilly. I've ridden a few options and Our Glorious Leader will decide which is best when he gets chance for a recce. There'll be a few climbs in the first 30 miles, but nothing that is both long and steep. Certainly no legendary climbs of the Ditchling variety, and nothing as long as Portnall's Road or Turner's Hill. The second half of it will be pretty much flat. I've never ridden a Brompton, though, and know nothing about their gearing, so I can't really judge on suitability. I suppose it depends on what three gears...

U

User482

The gears on our office Brompton are on the tall side. I assume they're standard spec. Some of the streets in Bristol (Park Street, if you know it) are a trial to say the least. I'd be thinking about a smaller cog...

"Got all the gears"

_40948499_charles203.jpg

:smile:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Stuart A
Adrian C
John Gr
Claudine C
Steve R
Andrew T
Andrij B
Chris G
Susie F
Kerry R
Judith C
Frank P
Colin F
Jan G
Jenny M
Adam B
Mick D
Clive B
Marilyn B
Andrew B
Alice S

StuartG

slower but further
Route isn't finalised yet, but by Welsh standards the FNRttC won't be hilly. I've ridden a few options and Our Glorious Leader will decide which is best when he gets chance for a recce.
Ah, well if our GL brings his Brommie, ties one leg behind his head and can get up the hilliest in top - them I'm in!!

Otherwise it may take a beverage or three in Boggers to discuss my inabilities without cleats
wink.gif

Top Bottom