FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Cardiff to Swansea 20th May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm catching up...!

Adam B
Adrian C
Alice S
Andrew B
Andrew T
Andrij B
Bill W
Chris G
Claudine C
Clive B
Colin F
Gwenda C
Frank P
Jan G
Jenny M
John Gr
Judith C
Kerry R
Marilyn B
Mick D
Peter L
Stephanie C
Steve R
Stuart A

Susie F
Tony C

Pete - your cheque arrived today

lukesdad

I would very much like to do this. A bonus is I need to go to Wales that weekend anyway.

Except it is to the wrong part of Wales, New Quay in Cardiganshire. A train to Carmarthen covers the easy bit (which would be more fun to ride anyway). The difficulty is the 'up & over' from Carmarthen towards Aberystwyth. Difficult in the best of times - but probably beyond me after an overnight and certainly beyond me if the weather is imperfect.

I assume the X40 bus does not carry cycles and taking the train via Shrewsbury a bit silly. Is there an option I have not thought of?

Help!

I guess this might be the route you were talking about,but here goes : The A road north along the Gwili valley after Rhos fork right down to Llandysul left at the 1st roundabout on the new by pass and up andover to Newquay. No real significant climbs. Little digs here and there. The roads are quiet during the day not a lot of traffic to speak of. Lorries on the Gwili road seem to travel mainly at night. I use it for myride to work and no problems to speak of. As the road twists a lot the traffic (what there is) is travelling slowly, and there are certainly no issues once you get off that road. Its west Walians by the way, and we go to bed early so as we can ride early. :biggrin: :tongue:

StuartG

slower but further
Thanks for that LD. But I'm leaning towards Brommie-ing it if Dell thinks I'm up to it.

If the weather is bad my road bike becomes an albatross. Riding that road is OK if you have legs and judgement is not impaired by lack of sleep. I won't have either.

Also coming home I have to go to Aberystwyth to catch the London train and riding the A487 in daytime is lethal (as two cars & a caravan discovered last week) with little opportunity of back roads. So I'd rather do that on the bus and also avoid the Arriva/Virgin bike space lottery.

A Brommie packs away nicely. Problem is I've never done any distance on the Brommie and long uphills would also be an issue on 3 gears for someone in Bus Pass territory. However if Dell has some slower riders and TECs who want company ...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adrian C
Alice S
Andrew B
Andrew T
Andrij B
Bill W
Bob H
Chris G
Claudine C
Clive B
Colin F
Duncan C
Dylan R
Frank P
Geraint C
Gwenda C
Jan G
Jenny M
John Gr
John R
Judith C
Kerry R
Marilyn B
Mick D
Peter L
Simon R
Simon Rspoon
Stephanie C
Steve R
Stuart A

Susie F
Tony C

which brings us to 33. I call that a quorum

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Note to Swanseapeeps! I'm planning to run a bike wagon up to Cardiff, as I know that a few people are worried about not being sure of getting their bikes on the train. So if you can't get a bike reservation, don't worry - sign up anyway and PM me.

frank9755

Cyclist
Adam B
Adrian C
Alice S
Andrew B
Andrew T
Andrij B
Bill W
Bob H
Chris G
Claudine C
Clive B
Colin F
Duncan C
Dylan R
Frank P
Geraint C
Gwenda C
Jan G
Jenny M
John Gr
John R
Judith C
Kerry R
Marilyn B
Mick D
Peter L
Simon R
Simon Rspoon
Stephanie C
Steve R
Stuart A

Susie F
Tony C

which brings us to 33. I call that a quorum

+ Martin F
He's riding out with me so I'd hate to see him turned away at Cardiff!

+ Martin F
He's riding out with me so I'd hate to see him turned away at Cardiff!

Ah drat, Frank! Now there will be riders clamouring to get on the ride and the list will have to be shut, let alone the peloton of 40+ wending its way from the Capital of the United Kingdom to some westerly outpost of the realm (You do know they are getting a male voice choir ready to welcome us, don't you?)

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2xkI03oEYE&feature=related[/media]

Good old Len Cohen - cheers you up no end! :biggrin:

frank9755

Cyclist
You do know they are getting a male voice choir ready to welcome us, don't you?

Maybe Claudine's wagon will be bringing them up to greet us when we have crossed the bridge...?
wave.gif

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Will they keep a welcome in the hillside?

frank9755

Cyclist
If you think I'm picking you up from Swindon or somewhere when you realise what a mental idea it was to cycle to the start...

The thought of calling you out to pick us up from Swindon never entered my head!

Chepstow, perhaps...?

I jest: to illustrate just how mental serious and committed we are, I will be recce'ing the western bit - Cardiff to Malmesbury - early on Saturday morning, at the same time as you guys will be rolling towards Bognor.

Top Bottom