FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Cardiff to Swansea 20th May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Ok - there's a motorway services at Aust, which is at the start of the cycle path over the bridge. Unfortunately I have a meeting that afternoon which means I can't leave Bristol until 5pm but that would mean I could meet you 6ish. It's possible I could re-arrange it to finish a little earlier if it's going to be a problem for you.

Sounds like the genesis of a plan...

Sounds like the genesis of a plan...

xx( - schoolday memories... I'm more a Mike & the Mechanics man myself...

frank9755

Cyclist
Funny you should say that, but ever since Frank mentioned he was cycling to the start, I have been wondering about joining in..................

Excellent!
Always good to get these thoughts out in the open, Adam. That sounds pretty definite, then!
thumbsup.png

OK, quick ball park figure - it's 150 miles from London to Cardiff, so allowing for stops, that's 12 hours. It may be easier for me to cycle down to meet you around West Drayton, and so there's no need for you to head the wrong way back towards the centre of London.

What sort of time were you thinking of leaving?

frank9755

Cyclist
I usually work on 20km/h including breaks for audax, or other long rides where I am not taking much luggage. Its 240km from my house to Cardiff, which would also give 12 hours. Probably similar for 'Teef and Uxbridge / Hillingdon / West Drayton is about 10km or half an hour down the road.

The Severn Bridge is then about 180km from there, or about 9 hours. So if we were to meet in that area at 9am, we could expect to join User482 at the Bridge around 6pm, to get to Cardiff for 8:30-9pm. That would leave loads of time for an evening meal and battery recharge before the main event.

However, if either of you have a particular preference I wouldn't mind setting off a bit earlier or even slightly later.

'Teef, where does it make sense for us to meet? I was thinking of exiting London via Uxbridge Road as far as Hillingdon, then crossing the M25 at Iver and then skimming Slough to Datchet and Windsor.

Edit - what might work better, esp I think for you, Adam, is a more northerly route (which 'Teef has been keeping up his sleeve) so we could meet at Harefield or Chalfont St P (at say 9am) to head through the Chilterns to Beaconsfield and High Wycombe, Christmas Common, etc.

Yes - I saw your route Frank, it's fine. I'm easy to bomb down the A312 and hang a right which will coincide with you on the High St... when I did the datchet bit with Davy last year, the roads were cr@p! :smile: When I was doing the Airport - Eastcote on a regular basis, I would do Long Lane, past Hillingdon, to arrive at Stockley Park etc, and do a circuit of Harlington to arrive on the outer ring, then round etc... HEY! We can kidnap Els, as she works close by! :smile:

Chalfont/Harefield is fine for me. After Christmas Common, are you then thinking of Wallingford - Wantage - Malmesbury then north of Chipping Sodbury for then crossing into Wales?

frank9755

Cyclist
Chalfont/Harefield is fine for me. After Christmas Common, are you then thinking of Wallingford - Wantage - Malmesbury then north of Chipping Sodbury for then crossing into Wales?

Yes, pretty much.

Teef - lets go for your Chiltern variation shall we? I'll do a revised route and circulate it, then we can fine tune further as all the other people decide they want to join in!

What if the bridge is closed? Let's cross that bridge when we come to it!
laugh.gif

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, pretty much.

Teef - lets go for your Chiltern variation shall we? I'll do a revised route and circulate it, then we can fine tune further as all the other people decide they want to join in!

You have been reading the Mornington Crescent thread?

What if the bridge is closed? Let's cross that bridge when we come to it!
laugh.gif

:rolleyes: :thumbsup: :laugh:

Wobblers

Euthermic
You're all quite mad, you know. 150 miles before you even get to the start?? I did briefly contemplate cycling from Brum... but, as the Cardiff train rather conveniently stops at the station two minutes from me, it would be rude not to take advantage!

We'll just lay on the train tracks nearest, so that no-one goes out to play in that case. Well, Frank will tie himself in place as he has been going off the rails far too much recently.

Hah! You'll have to do better than that - my train runs on the other side of the Severn! :tongue:

I could be persuaded for a pre-ride aperitif [1] once I get to Cardiff, though...

[1] All right, all right, I'm already getting my coat!

Top Bottom