FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Cardiff to Swansea 22nd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Carl, the start is the Wales Millennium Centre on Cardiff Bay. Not to be confused with the Millennium Stadium. Start is minutes from the station. Most sensible people have a beer after the ride and get the train back from Swansea. And yes there's usually a pre-ride pizza contingent. Charlie gets to Cardiff early so will be bimbling about looking for stuff to do.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Carl, the start is the Wales Millennium Centre on Cardiff Bay. Not to be confused with the Millennium Stadium. Start is minutes from the station. Most sensible people have a beer after the ride and get the train back from Swansea. And yes there's usually a pre-ride pizza contingent. Charlie gets to Cardiff early so will be bimbling about looking for stuff to do.

Ta, you are an absolute smasher you are, and I don't care what anyone says.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm struggling with this a little bit. I'm trying to sort out the trains, be patient with me, I don't do public transport very often, the last time was over a year ago.

If I have my info correct it costs £63.90 for a return from Didcot Parkway to Swansea. Can I get off at Cardiff on the outbound journey and do the return from Swansea?

Also it looks like there is a Bus journey on the return trip from Bristol to Swindon the Saturday, which would be a right PIA.

Is anyone doing a similar jouney to me?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm struggling with this a little bit. I'm trying to sort out the trains, be patient with me, I don't do public transport very often, the last time was over a year ago.

If I have my info correct it costs £63.90 for a return from Didcot Parkway to Swansea. Can I get off at Cardiff on the outbound journey and do the return from Swansea?

Also it looks like there is a Bus journey on the return trip from Bristol to Swindon the Saturday, which would be a right PIA.

Is anyone doing a similar jouney to me?

It's not you. The pricing structure is becoming increasingly baroque with every year. It's what they call a confusopoly. "Travelling short" on an outward leg is technically not allowed, though I often do it and have a bit of an urge to test the rule in court. I didn't know about the engineering works tho. That is a bit of a spanner in the works. I am on a train at the moment - I will investigate ticket options this afternoon when back at my desk.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's not you. The pricing structure is becoming increasingly baroque with every year. It's what they call a confusopoly. "Travelling short" on an outward leg is technically not allowed, though I often do it and have a bit of an urge to test the rule in court. I didn't know about the engineering works tho. That is a bit of a spanner in the works. I am on a train at the moment - I will investigate ticket options this afternoon when back at my desk.

Ta, I have been messing around with train journeys on the FGW site, it would appear that If I want to go to Swindon or Didcot Parkway on Saturday I have to get a bus from Bristol, if I want to got to Paddington I can stay on the train.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ah. The Gloucester-Kemble-Stroud diversion! I will investigate. Where exactly are you aiming to get back to on Saturday?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ah. The Gloucester-Kemble-Stroud diversion! I will investigate. Where exactly are you aiming to get back to on Saturday?

Ultimately Bicester, but I was considering driving to Didcot, parking overnight, train from Didcot to Cardiff, then Swansea to Didcot. Its clear that this can not be done, It looks like I can do it from Reading though for £62.80, but that is a lot more hassle, hassle I am not sure up with which I am willing to put.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ultimately Bicester, but I was considering driving to Didcot, parking overnight, train from Didcot to Cardiff, then Swansea to Didcot. Its clear that this can not be done, It looks like I can do it from Reading though for £62.80, but that is a lot more hassle, hassle I am not sure up with which I am willing to put.

I'll have a think. It's a good ride, hassle or not. I wouldn't even think about driving anywhere though, unless you can get a decent kip in between the ride and the drive.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Right, I have sorted the journey I think without driving, TBH it's PIA, so I'll have think about whether I can be bothered or not before I commit.

Right, I have sorted the journey I think without driving, TBH it's PIA, so I'll have think about whether I can be bothered or not before I commit.
Ride it - it's a good target, and precursor to bombing around the Mumbles arc to a decent breakfast! I can't do it - but I sure wanted to...crossing That Bridge into a foreign country is always a pleasure - when you come to it.:smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ride it - it's a good target, and precursor to bombing around the Mumbles arc to a decent breakfast! I can't do it - but I sure wanted to...crossing That Bridge into a foreign country is always a pleasure - when you come to it.:smile:

Ride to Cardiff? From Bicester? On a Friday? 133 Miles? Plus the other 60 odd miles to Swansea You are having a giraffe ain't ya?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ride to Cardiff? From Bicester? On a Friday? 133 Miles? Plus the other 60 odd miles to Swansea You are having a giraffe ain't ya?
Ah. Unfortunately he isn't. Guess who is one of my mentors when it comes to riding long distances. Although Aperitif doesn't see it as cycling long distances, he just sees it as a pleasant and sociable way to get from point A to point B (the distance between the two points is rarely relevant)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I just Remember the rain coming down in sheets.
I'd just like to add, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't there, that this "rain coming down in sheets" thing was a strictly pre-ride occurrence, and that conditions for the ride itself could not have been more perfect.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

I have just had a look at the rail shenanigans. It is not The Gloucester Variation as I thought, but the much more unforgiving Bath Spa Aberration! I was going to start investigating such controversial measures as The Charlbury Mutation, but it looks like the Swansea line is not the only one affected by fannying about. A bit more head-scratching to do, I think...

clivedb

Guru
Oh dear, I didn't pick up on this when I booked earlier today (from Swansea to Paddington on Saturday at 12.25) - I thought the journey was a bit longer than I remembered (but my memory is worn out). And, indeed, the train is going on a diversion via Bath Spa. I suppose I just have to put up with it, but it makes for a long, long night and day! This is added to the closure of the lines between Milton Keynes and Euston at the weekends, and the closure of London Bridge for a week.

Top Bottom