FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Cardiff to Swansea 22nd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Andrew By
Anne H
Ceri J
Charlie B
Claudine C
Clive B
Gwenda C
Ivor R
John S
John Sw
Marega P
Marion G
Martin B
Simon M
Steve R
Susie F
Gavin B
Shane R
Andrew B
Guto E
Llyr
Peter

A really, really nice night out. There are roads, lanes rather, the like of which we don't see on any other night ride - narrow and twisting between high hedges and across small stone bridges. The sky over Llanmaes was, as it always is, splendrous. The view south from 'Saint Doughnuts' was, as it always is, breathtaking. The dawn was so pretty one doubted if it was true. The ride around the bay was, as it always is, sublime. And Peter gets an honourable mention. He registered by post. Think on, metrosexuals!

Damn it was cold. 3 degrees. In August. Cold with a headwind. I demand an explanation.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I demand an explanation.

I am working on one...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I would write a few words about the ride, but I've locked myself out of the house, and have yet to come up with a brilliant idea about how to get back in...

swansonj

Guru
I would write a few words about the ride, but I've locked myself out of the house, and have yet to come up with a brilliant idea about how to get back in...
Now that creates an interesting dilemma on the etiquette of likes - if I like that, does it mean I am saying I like the fact that you are locked out of your house?

If the abiding memory of last year's version was the mists, the abiding memory this year is the colours. A magical moment just before dawn when the moon was hanging in a sky of one shade of mauve just contrasted by some clouds of a different shade of mauve; savouring the subtly changing-by-the-minute pinks of the sunrise at the top of that hill until Susie characteristically gently prevailed on her husband to move off before we all froze; the picture-perfect blue of sea and yellow of sand as we first hit the coast cycle path; and the infinite gradations of sparkles as we got further round and looked more directly into the sun.

The rest was pretty good too. I just love those lanes with the high hedges where you could almost be in a virtual reality ride because you momentarily feel completely isolated from anything else outside the boundaries of the hedges. I just love cycling through village after village which appear in turn and disappear without my having any idea how they fit into the bigger geography of the area. I love arriving at the half way stop on a black coast in silence. And I just love hills that go on long enough to feel the effort has been worthwhile (and to feel that that extra-low bottom gear was justified) - that it transported you somewhere significantly different and higher (in multiple senses) to where you started rather than just constituting extra work.

And, although all Fridays are friendly, I don't know whether because of the selective subset of Fridays participants who choose to make it to Wales, or whether because of the effect that being in Wales has, or whether because I'm a sentimental old bugger who thinks anything that happens in Celtic regions is inherently superior to the same thing in the south east, or just prosaically because it is a smaller ride, but this felt exceptionally and life-enhancingly friendly even by Fridays standards. Thank you all.

clivedb

Guru
As ever, thanks to Simon, as the onlie begetter of the FNRttC. I say this because I have not been out for many rides over the past couple of years and doing so reminds me how lucky I have been to be able to be part of this. At the end of the ride the owner of the cafe picked up on something Simon said and, thinking I was a railway enthusiast, offered me a very handsome print of a large green steam loco ( an offer I refused, politely I hope). Then, coming back from Swansea on the train we saw (at Bath? Or Bristol?) an engine just like it with one GWR carriage. It seemed to be getting up steam and was attended by three men. This is a ponderous metaphor about well oiled machines. Express steam trains are a stirring sight, like the FNRttC in flow at night, but someone has to do the oiling and I really appreciate how much Simon has to do to create this seemingly effortless perfection. And of course thanks to Claudine for the Welsh variation!

I cannot add much to the descriptions above. A few familiar faces, and I enjoyed meeting some new local riders - it was a great friendly atmosphere. The ride was delightful - it was chilly but I managed to stay just the right side of warm. The route varied from what I did a few years ago and there was certainly a kick late on that was hard work when I was tired. But the reward was some really lovely lanes and a view out across the hills in the clear morning light as we approached Swansea. As mentioned above, the sky at daybreak was fantastic and the sliver of moon breathtaking.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Glad it went well. Still gutted at missing it, obv.

Claud: Warm yet overcast, WNW wind all day for next year, OK? :smile:

Reactions: srw

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm back in! It helps to have a pal like Dr Evil, who turned out to be handy with a credit card. I didn't even have to resort to the trespass-with-ladder approach, the smash-it-and-worry-afterwards plan, or even the give-up-and-cry-in-the-pub option.

Nice words, @swansonj.

I had thought, after we had to postpone it, that the ride was in danger of not happening. This was a sad thing to contemplate, after three very happy years when it had come to seem something that was very much Meant to Be. So I am very grateful to the small but distinguished band of adventurers that gathered in Roald Dahl Plass against the odds, and in many cases at considerable expense and inconvenience. And I apologize to those who had their hearts or their train tickets set on the July date, and couldn't make the August one. We missed you. I am also grateful to Hilary at Ogmore, who agreed to a preposterous idea from a strange caller with but a few days' notice, and to Dennis and Irena at Ripples, who got up early and laid on a special menu and some cold yellow beers that have so far proved difficult to pay for. I am working on it.

The rest, as ever, has mostly been said. My favourite bits are the drop into the dark lanes through Llantrithyd and beyond, the Dimlands Road out of Llantwit Major, the view over Crymlyn Bog with the morning mist, and the well-earned superspeedy descent through Cimla into Neath. The lanes were more than a trifle hazardous when we first discovered them in 2011, but re-surfacing since has made it possible to swoop and twist through them with more abandon, and being at the head of the ride attempting to pace half-familiar twisty dark lanes for joy without disaster is absurdly exhilarating. The stars were beautiful when we stopped at the Wick Road crossing.

About that cold. It was undeniably cold. Sorry. But it was dry, and insofar as there was sometimes a headwind, it wasn't really the sort that counts. The weather gods smile upon this ride, as is well known, but they like to remind us now and again that it is a gift. They laid on all the balminess they could muster for a night in July, got mildly miffed when we didn't show, and decided to lend a keen edge to an otherwise perfect night by way of a gentle but insistent reproach. Such is the prerogative of the gods - this particular tendency has been hinted at before, in the form of mysterious pockets of hot air and cold mist, which appear and disappear without warning within the space of mere metres. The sun warming us at breakfast may be viewed as reward and forgiveness.

Porridge was greeted with approbation, the coffee was good, and breakfast was followed by Beer from Nowhere. With established post-ride boozers of the calibre of @User482 and @McWobble, it could well have got out of hand, had the Megalicious Meg not been named as Designated Responsible Person. There was a train issue, causing us to reflect on the pointlessness of Bath Spa, and as the morning drifted on, friends drifted away - inevitably too soon, for me, although probably not soon enough to cushion whatever First Great Western had in store for them. I hope you all got home OK. McWobble and I were the last to leave Ripples, and (having spurned the worse-than-useless West Cross Inn) sank the ride's last pints in a sunny but noisy spot in front of the Woodman, which enabled us to pass suitably unflattering judgements on those making the mistake of motoring to and from the Mwmbwls. I bimbled home, already missing everybody, had a hot bath, and slept in the afternoon sun in the back room. I meant to get up again and eat dinner, but forgot. Someone broke my reverie at 11pm with a text to remind me I was supposed to be at a birthday party, so I got up and had another beer for what felt like breakfast again, this time in the spinning lights of a mirror ball. It's a habit I'll need to get out of before Tuesday...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
About that cold. It was undeniably cold.
Hah! Cold? COLD?
I give you Southend a few years ago. There was ice on the rosd, frost on the saddles and the water bottles froze. THAT is COLD.

swansonj

Guru
Yebbut that wasn't mid August.
I came on this ride straight from a family holiday in Gower, for which I had packed two weeks previously when the sun was still shining, and naively hadn't packed serious cold weather cycling gear. So I augmented my apparel with a pair of £6 ladies Lycra leggings from tescos in Swansea. I'm sure I'm far from the first Friday peep to exhibit transvestite tendencies....

U

User482

I came on this ride straight from a family holiday in Gower, for which I had packed two weeks previously when the sun was still shining, and naively hadn't packed serious cold weather cycling gear. So I augmented my apparel with a pair of £6 ladies Lycra leggings from tescos in Swansea. I'm sure I'm far from the first Friday peep to exhibit transvestite tendencies....
I'm glad you told me that after the ride...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
At the halfway with the Minister for Moderation.

claud meg ogmore.jpg

Top Bottom