FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham near Bognor 22nd April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
I even went back and made it into a wiki link to make life easy for you.

I may be being a bit thick but while I could google the chap and get that far, I couldn't work out the connection. But it may be one of those jokes which would die in the explanation, so I'll just assume it is something to do with buffs.
thumbsup.png

EDIT
Like my new signature?
Just worked out how to do these!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I clearly missed a good'un - looking forward to reacquainting myself with the Gower and the Gower gal next month.

Can you guarantee such balmy weather as Sussex provides TC?:thumbsup:

I may be being a bit thick but while I could google the chap and get that far, I couldn't work out the connection. But it may be one of those jokes which would die in the explanation, so I'll just assume it is something to do with buffs.
thumbsup.png

EDIT
Like my new signature?
Just worked out how to do these!

Hey Frank - I have blocked all signatures (self included - whatever it is) I hope it is worthy.
Isn't it just beautiful riding 'out there' today? Bugger Bognor, 'Mellifluous Monday!'

martint235

Dog on a bike
This is the plan (referring to the first part, but the second is potentially still on, too)

Will require the Friday off work.

More the merrier!

Let me make sure I'm completely clear on this. What you want to do is take Friday off work (not a problem), cycle from London (HPC?) to Cardiff, do the FNRttC to Swansea and then cycle back to London?? We're looking at around 300 miles in 36 hours? It's do-able. I'm actually meant to be in Hertfordshire on the Sat for a 50 miler but this sounds more interesting....

frank9755

Cyclist
Let me make sure I'm completely clear on this. What you want to do is take Friday off work (not a problem), cycle from London (HPC?) to Cardiff, do the FNRttC to Swansea and then cycle back to London?? We're looking at around 300 miles in 36 hours? It's do-able. I'm actually meant to be in Hertfordshire on the Sat for a 50 miler but this sounds more interesting....

Not quite. The first bit - ride out to Cardiff to do the FNRttC - then I'm going to stay over in Swansea and have a pootle further out west to Pembroke on the Sunday, and get the train back from there. I think the others are just doing the ride out to Swansea and train back.

Its about 150 miles from my place to Cardiff. Plus 70 for the ride, will give 220-odd to Swansea on the Friday day / night. It's probably 20 miles further from your place, so would be 240, but we're all west so planning to meet at Harefield rather than HPC (although it has to be said there is something in preserving the tradition of HPC starts for FNRttC...)

But riding back would be 440 for me (and 480 for you)xx(. I think that would be a bit far for me. I'm already doing 600k / 375 miles the weekend before and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew (and end up having to hobble onto a train somewhere with tail between legs and everyone saying 'I told you so...')

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not quite. The first bit - ride out to Cardiff to do the FNRttC - then I'm going to stay over in Swansea and have a pootle further out west to Pembroke on the Sunday, and get the train back from there. I think the others are just doing the ride out to Swansea and train back.

Its about 150 miles from my place to Cardiff. Plus 70 for the ride, will give 220-odd to Swansea on the Friday day / night. It's probably 20 miles further from your place, so would be 240, but we're all west so planning to meet at Harefield rather than HPC (although it has to be said there is something in preserving the tradition of HPC starts for FNRttC...)

But riding back would be 440 for me (and 480 for you)xx(. I think that would be a bit far for me. I'm already doing 600k / 375 miles the weekend before and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew (and end up having to hobble onto a train somewhere with tail between legs and everyone saying 'I told you so...')

HPC would be better for me but I can always get to Harefield. It is tempting. I have to say that SWMBO is against it though. I'll give it some very serious thought though! (Where's Rimas when you need him???)

We're actually on the wrong thread here, chaps but. Martin - the prudent thing to do would be to book a night for both of you at Tides Reach Guest House - Mary and Lyn will look after both of you splendidly. It is a beautiful arrivée, The Gower, and deserves exploration - albeit for a day. A train back on a Sunday will not dent your cycling intergrity one jot, and would be a lovely way to combine the two concerns in your mind. :smile: The perfect mini-break from Shooters Hill mayhem!

zigzag

Veteran
sounds like a nice tour you have planned, Frank. i will be attending some conference in devon that weekend, so can't join any of you unfortunately.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The idea of knocking you up was discussed.

I was in no need of knocking. I stood on the doorstep and watched (some of) you from a respectful distance with pangs of jealousy as I loaded the car.

In other news my grandfather used to do this for a living after he was badly hurt in an accident down t'pit.

knocker%20up.jpg

frank9755

Cyclist
I can't see it either, Frank. Maybe someone's had it away. There are some light-fingered sorts about, you know...

Don't I know it - can't be too careful around here!
wink.gif

I was being mischievous by stealing a quote from someone without its full context to see if it got any response. But it was only a bank holiday afternoon special so it's gone, for now...

Friday Night virgin here - just wanted to add my thanks to The Pre-Talced One and especially to the Waymarkers; I think they did a superlative job. Hanging around rural junctions in darkest surrey under coolish conditions cannot be wonderful fun.

Overall, an enjoyable first night ride. A few observations:

- loved the sight at HPC
- there are probably historical, logistical or other reasons but the spalsh and dash stop baffles me
- was far too warm to start and then too chilled thru to faygate (should start new thread on how to wear correct clothing during variable conditons)
- noisy fauna? irritated geese, perhaps?
- noisy cyclists? enjoyed the sound of all the clipping in and out approaching red lights and freewheels (was I the only one on flats?!)
- had expected more lunar light; fun descending around rusper with little illumination! (note to self to acquire stronger front light if this becomes a habit)
- interesting to watch and hear comments coming down B2139; yes, lovely scenery and the morning light creates a special atmosphere; I feel fortunate for this is my backyard
- and a super scene at the beach by the boat house

Hope to make brighton!

Top Bottom