FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast in aid of Martlets Hospice 2nd September 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 2012 date is already in my diary

+1

I was really worried about the ride in the weeks before the event, but then I thought all I have to do is pedal 50-odd miles in the dark. I don't have the worry of organising stuff, concern myself about safety or stand on roundabouts/at street corners in the mist in some Godforsaken place for hours on end. It all fell into place. It was fun....knackering, but fun. You all deserve a heap of praise. If I can't do the whole ride next year because of my shifts I will certainly try to be available to Marshal somewhere if possible. It was an honour to be involved.

Bill

TimO

Guru
I have uploaded 6 vids on my youtube page. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JM-I6zfmRLk

LOL, I just looked at these, on the off chance I was in the somewhere, but as with pretty much all small cameras on bikes, unless you've got a particularly recognisable pattern of lights on your bike, you're not going to see anything at night! I did recognise some of the locations, such as going across Chelsea Bridge, and the stop at Mitcham Common, but I don't think I could recognise a single cyclist. :biggrin:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
On behalf of the Sussex Stragglers, I would just to give a MASSIVE THANKS to everyone involved in this ride. It was the first time our group had cycled this and despite some of us being a bit apprehensive before the start, felt the whole event was extremely well organised and the marshalls and helpers along the route done just the best job in ensuring everyone stayed safe & well-fed!!
By the time we got our 3rd puncture amongst the group at Ardingly, we were all getting a bit lethargic, tired and cold as were beginning to think the Stragglers was a good name for the group!!! However, 8 of the group cycled up the Beacon, me included :o), so was pleased about that although the 'sunrise' at the top could have been better!! We then thought it was all going to be downhill back to Brighton but no, we got directed onto Ditchling Road only to be hit by a slow uphill drag - thank you!!!! Anyway, it was good to see the Pier and come across the finishing line all together with pride, even if we were a good hour later than what we were hoping for. We have said that, although this was tough, we will be doing this again next year

:o)I'd just like to say thanks VERY much for a fab ride. I thought the organisation was excellent and the marshalling enroute superb. I'd definately recommend this to anyone who fanices a new cycling experience. It was my first night ride and I don't think it will be my last! "

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. Partly because of my sleepiness, partly because the night's fog the whole event has assumed a dream like quality in my memory. Fortunately the pain in my backside is also a dim memory!
Please add my thanks to the gratitude already expressed to your team and I'm definitely considering another one!)

Thankyou so much for a really wondefully organised bike ride.It was a great experience for a worthy charity and I really enjoyed it with my fellow Sussex Stragglers.

See you at the next one and thanks again.

Thank you, everything was so efficiently done but also in a cheerful friendly way. The organisation was sublime!

I would like to echo your thanks to to all the helpers and Marshalls. I had a wonderful experience from the nightclubbers supporting us in London to the spooky, dark and foggy country lanes. Now to make sure I get all the promises of money in!
Many thanks to all of you

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

I wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in the London to Brighton bike ride, it was so well organised and executed. Every step of the way there was support, and thank fully batteries at half way mark as i was doomed without lights.

I also wanted to thank you for letting me join the ride ever so late. I was the above knee amputee who came in at the last minute. I loved every bit of the ride, and felt so proud when i made it up the Ditchling beacon without getting off the bike. This was my first ever organised ride and i feel this wont be the last hopefully.

Thank you to everyone, you made my weekend. And for a great cause too, well done.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
^^^^ I'm just posting this stuff because I want you to feel damn good about yourselves. You gave a lot of people something that they'll remember for a long time to come. Well done, one and all..........

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Keep posting them Simon, they are really nice to read.

Shame I couldn't make it and help out as it was my bleedin' wedding anniversary...

SW19cam

Über Member
LOL, I just looked at these, on the off chance I was in the somewhere, but as with pretty much all small cameras on bikes, unless you've got a particularly recognisable pattern of lights on your bike, you're not going to see anything at night! I did recognise some of the locations, such as going across Chelsea Bridge, and the stop at Mitcham Common, but I don't think I could recognise a single cyclist. :biggrin:

Some of the later videos I took were just black - but with that wonderful 'whur'ing sound created by tires on tarmac. Unfortunately by the time morning had broken I was out of batteries. My own fauilt.

I forget to mention - whoever decorated the badlands deserves a medal!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I would like to thank you for you excellent organisation of last Friday night’s ride to Brighton in aid of Martlets Hospice. It didn’t take long for my lack of training to kick in, and as early as Wallington/Coulsdon, I was struggling. After being persuaded to get on the bus and staying on it until Reigate , I was ready for another go. This is where several of the marshals came in – what a lovely bunch of people, their enthusiasm, patience, kindness, humour and encouragement, got me to Brighton . Tim in the spotty shirt, David (who got me up Turners Hill and cycled with me for ages), another David (younger than the last one), Martin (I think it was him with the lovely brandy), my next door neighbour Greg. There was also another marshal with orange glasses with magnified bits in the middle who scared the bejesus out of me – it got me up a few hills, but Ditchling was a hill too many – fair play for trying with me though. I was whingeing and moaning so much that I’m amazed no one just kicked me off my bike and left me, I was sure that they were stopping at various stages and drawing straws to see who would ride with me for the next bit. I’m so glad they did bother with me.

I’m the lady in the West Ham shirt by the way. I use the term “lady” loosely, as I know that I used some very unladylike language at various times during the night, and for that could you please pass on my apologies. Lastly, although they didn’t seem to be wearing marshals outfits, there were several people who appeared to be part of the “Friday Night Club”, who were just generally very encouraging – don’t hold your breath, but altogether it’s made me want to do it again, with a lighter bike, not weighed down by all of the unnecessary stuff I took and much more training.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I would like to thank you for you excellent organisation of last Friday night’s ride to Brighton in aid of Martlets Hospice. It didn’t take long for my lack of training to kick in, and as early as Wallington/Coulsdon, I was struggling. After being persuaded to get on the bus and staying on it until Reigate , I was ready for another go. This is where several of the marshals came in – what a lovely bunch of people, their enthusiasm, patience, kindness, humour and encouragement, got me to Brighton . Tim in the spotty shirt, David (who got me up Turners Hill and cycled with me for ages), another David (younger than the last one), Martin (I think it was him with the lovely brandy), my next door neighbour Greg. There was also another marshal with orange glasses with magnified bits in the middle who scared the bejesus out of me – it got me up a few hills, but Ditchling was a hill too many – fair play for trying with me though. I was whingeing and moaning so much that I’m amazed no one just kicked me off my bike and left me, I was sure that they were stopping at various stages and drawing straws to see who would ride with me for the next bit. I’m so glad they did bother with me.

I’m the lady in the West Ham shirt by the way. I use the term “lady” loosely, as I know that I used some very unladylike language at various times during the night, and for that could you please pass on my apologies. Lastly, although they didn’t seem to be wearing marshals outfits, there were several people who appeared to be part of the “Friday Night Club”, who were just generally very encouraging – don’t hold your breath, but altogether it’s made me want to do it again, with a lighter bike, not weighed down by all of the unnecessary stuff I took and much more training.

She's naming no names, I see... That's a nice email.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
There was also another marshal with orange glasses with magnified bits in the middle who scared the bejesus out of me – it got me up a few hills,
that might, or might not, be me. darkness plays tricks with the eyes, y'know. just sayin', like.

Top Bottom