FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Newhaven, Dieppe, Paris 22, 23, 24 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Agent Hilda

The Babe
Mes Amis!! I am so looking forward to seeing you all.

Wardrobe wise I will be mostly wearing New Rapha Shorts Size Minute, Old White Perl Izumi short sleeved top (now perfect fit, was fat top last time), Pristine White Socks, the SPDer pedal thingys with Blessed New White Shoes Attached and Shockingly Expensive Lace Underwear from Islington Chic Boutique Les Grandes BonBons.

a bientot as they say at The Towers

PS As this is the place de romance there will be no farking swearing at the back

Ever thine

Agent H

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Sadly I have to withdraw from this ride! So have fun and I hope to join you next year if it is included in the calendar?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Sadly I have to withdraw from this ride! So have fun and I hope to join you next year if it is included in the calendar?
Boo.
So far as I can gather from other threads the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry is under threat, so it may not be feasible next year.

For various reasons my sleep levels recently have been way below what I want, so we knocked up Plan B last night. If I'm too shagged out to ride overnight, @rvw will come on her bike (she discovered this week ,by doing a non-stop 40-miler, that she is, after all, a cyclist not just a tandemist) and I'll meet you in Newhaven toting a Brompton. Any suggestions as to places to leave a car in Newhaven for a few days?

rvw

Guru
@User13710 many thanks for that info - that's very useful, particularly knowing that we don't have to sort it in advance! We are (obviously) still hoping that @srw will make the night ride: sometimes just having a Plan B is enough!

rvw

Guru
Cabin and sleep on the ferry?
It's the ride down which is likely to be the killer, given far too little sleep over a number of days/weeks: and nobody wants that to be anything other than metaphorical!

rvw

Guru
I think, if @srw decides he can't stay awake for the ride, we'd book a hotel for him for the Thursday to avoid that issue!

rvw

Guru
Not possible to get the train to Newhaven?
It's an option: but having the car down there makes getting home (to Amersham) on the Monday much easier. Plus S will already be in the car, at an offsite meeting, at the end of work on the Thursday, so avoiding dumping the car in Newhaven merely leaves us with the problem of finding somewhere else to dump it!

rvw

Guru
I keep having this vague feeling that somewhere in the complicated logistics for next week (starting well before Thursday evening) I'll identify the point where either S, or I, or the car, or one of the bikes needs to be in two places at once.

This worries me - not so much the fact that we have plans which include an impossibility (tbh I'm almost expecting that) but that I haven't spotted where it is yet. And until I do, I can't do anything about it...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In case of plan B - I believe there are definite Bromptoneers on the ride. Is someone else bringing the 15mm spanner, the metal tyre levers and the high-pressure pump with a Schrader valve fitting or would I need to? I do (oh yes, of course I do) have Marathon pluses, but there are things that will get through even a Marathon plus.

Top Bottom