FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Newhaven, Dieppe, Paris 22, 23, 24 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
That Wilcoxy thingy is a catchin'

Plan A was to enjoy an urban free romp from Gisors through the river valleys of Lower Normandy bathed in glorious 80F sunny weather like it woz last year.
Plan B is possibly to scuttle into Paris with you lot looking for shelter and warm beer. But I haven't booked anywhere. What bike friendly establishments are favourite this year? Do any of the bailouts ( @Nigel182, @AKA Bob) wanna trade?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
weather looking iffy on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, but fine down to Newhaven and just brilliant going in to Paris

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Good-oh. Plan C involves a support vehicle and a Brompton. Current thoughts are to send @rvw out at sparrowfart on Saturday, and meet the ride at Gisors or Pontoise for the last leg as convenient places to get to by train on Sunday. I realise that misses out the most attractive bits of countryside, and it might be I feel better by Saturday so feel attracted to riding further.

Anyhow. The presence of a support vehicle would offer the possibility of emulating Ian the Van for transporting luggage for part of the way.

That Wilcoxy thingy is a catchin'

Plan A was to enjoy an urban free romp from Gisors through the river valleys of Lower Normandy bathed in glorious 80F sunny weather like it woz last year.
Plan B is possibly to scuttle into Paris with you lot looking for shelter and warm beer. But I haven't booked anywhere. What bike friendly establishments are favourite this year? Do any of the bailouts ( @Nigel182, @AKA Bob) wanna trade?

Sorry @StuartG I was only heading to Newhaven wasn't crossing the water so 'nowt to trade.

StuartG

slower but further
Team GB had a dry run to Newhaven. And not just no hip flasks.

Good run up and feast in Saint-Saens. Today dodging rain showers and an amazonian cycle group who politely declined Ade's offer to TEC them (I might not have got that completely right) we got to Gisors before midday.

The rest of the group left for the Parisian high life and should be arriving around now. I went my own way 'cos I'm just a poor country yokel at heart and am enjoying the fruits of the Intermarche next to the Formule1 I'm staying in Vernon.

Some of the team are back tomorrow. I'll be catching up with the laggards on the Monday evening boat.

Don't ask about Frank. He is a bit of a wide boy atm.

Last edited:

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Arrived in Paris and really knackered. After Gisors, we were dogged by a horrendous head wind and heavy rain. Audax-style lunch break in a chilly bus shelter, where @Agent Hilda gave a masterclass in positive thinking, aptly pointing out: "at least, it's not in the middle of the night". now steak frites soon, and maybe a beer or two

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Arrived in Paris and really knackered. After Gisors, we were dogged by a horrendous head wind and heavy rain. Audax-style lunch break in a chilly bus shelter, where @Agent Hilda gave a masterclass in positive thinking, aptly pointing out: "at least, it's not in the middle of the night". now steak frites soon, and maybe a beer or two
Well done.
@Agent Hilda showing audaxer qualities there :thumbsup:

StuartG

slower but further
I almost feel sorry for you. Had one shower and retreated to a dry rustic picnic area under the tree canopy to break out the emergency Mars bar. Currently having a feast and not having to share the Buzet all for 11 euro. Listen to me next time if, hopefully, there is a next time.

Meanwhile drown your sorrows!

BTW I came across an amazing Morgan rally in tiny Gasny. Pics to follow.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Back in London after a really lovely day in Paris and a swift (albeit 20 min delayed) journey on the Eurostar. @StuartG , the Gisors alternative definitely has found an ally in Katharina. However, I would not have have made those two little discoveries, which I digged out on Père Lachaise flea market.

IMG_1701.jpg

The guy on the right is probably on a recce finding the FNRttC starting point.

IMG_1702.jpg

It's over there, mate!

Tim Hall

Just back in the door after 12 hours travelling. Took a quick spin round Paris this morning, and stopped at the Arc de Triomphe. Having no knight in a shining legg bandage to stop the traffic I had to escape from it via the subway. More later, plus pics.

A brilliant time, thanks one and all.

Edit: I played the part of @AKA Bob for one night too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom