FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend on Sea 7th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nope you are wrong. Just check http://nationalrail.co.uk for Saturday afternoon. You will see lots of trains direct to Bedford/Luton and Brighton from LBG. Your linky applies to the NEXT phase starting December when they begin the Bermondsey Flyunder works and do the Herne Hill deviation. I'm definitely be back home by then. Et tu?
I'll have to look into this more carefully then! I use the Thameslink line every day, including weekends, and understood that these trains are not calling at LBG. I've been handed a flier by Thameslink staff at St Pancras to that effect and took their words at face value. I have not tried putting it to the test by actually staying on the train to see if it stops there or by going to the station. Hmmm.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@StuartG - you are making the elementary mistake of assuming that a change of trains is not undesirable after a night ride and a drink or two.

True story. The last time I got on a train at London Bridge intending to change - one stop later, at Waterloo East - I woke up in Erith.

As it happens, direct trains home are a fairly short stagger away, at Aldgate. And as long as I get the right one I can fall asleep and be woken up at home by the driver.

Meanwhile...it is the final countdown - 4
Often seen ducking and diving at Southend is Chris the original subaqua...
TB4g2.jpg

The water. Fascinating power, and a vital element of the Friday Night Rides to the Coasts. We all know Whitstable's windmills o'er the sea, but I was always struck by the equal loveliness of Cleethorpes and the Gower...
20z4adw.jpg

The Gower
34hfea8.jpg

Cleethorpes :smile:
Further around the bay of Cymru y Cleethorpydd it becomes a little butch...
2eq9k78.jpg

And then the Friday destination, Southend...
23vhit1.jpg

or, perhaps something a bit more exotic- The Rainbow Riviera - beautiful Brighton (and Hove :smile:)
o7kivq.jpg

The industrialised reaches of the Thames always provide many glimpses of continuously billowing chimneys - here's another daffodillian view
2ce3fok.jpg

Port Tatabot (I think)
And, not quite the destination either, but an essential ride to 'bank' was the Humber Bridge - roughing it with Northerners on their patch is sometimes worth enduring :whistle: - I love you all really.
xd6ow2.jpg

And, over the years, intrepid rouleurs have found themselves all at sea for different reasons. Act in Hastings and repent at leisure so the saying goes.
Hastings was a dump, like Blackpool, but at least there was a boat on a roundabout somewhere...
a1qa9.jpg

Hastings - all at sea on a Saturday of the Republican Ride
All in all, an a salt on the senses. The sea that put the see in FNRttC

srw

Yup. I'd gone out for lunch at 2:30 and the restaurant wanted its table back at 7:00. Jolly unreasonably, I thought.

Changing at Waterloo East wasn't even the second quickest way to get home.

Apart from the fact that Marylebone is more direct....
jikktd.jpg

...but ask him the way to a 'gare du Nord' and AKABob's your Mother's brother! :smile:
PS The Service machinist had downed a 'few' shandies before attempting to embroider sergeant's stripes on M'lud's 'pull'.

subaqua

What’s the point

srw

Talking of beer...

Mrs W has just told me she isn't really very good at daytime drinking - and that we both have to be on form on Sunday. Well yes, but I'm clear until the evening. You all have to be extremely nice to her and persuade her to come for a quiet drink in London (or for a snooze in the corner of a pub).

subaqua

What’s the point
Talking of beer...

Mrs W has just told me she isn't really very good at daytime drinking - and that we both have to be on form on Sunday. Well yes, but I'm clear until the evening. You all have to be extremely nice to her and persuade her to come for a quiet drink in London (or for a snooze in the corner of a pub).
you have only just realised this ? how long have you been together. will do our best to convince, or failing that kidnap the pair of you ;)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adrian C
Andrew Br
Andrew By
Andrew F
Andrij B
Angus L