FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend on Sea 7th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
I usually do, but on this occasion I will be coming into Waterloo instead...
What time ? And do you intend to head straight to HPC when you arrive ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The latest MET Office forecasts between London and Southend are showing clear skies all the way to 06:00, then clouding over by 09:00. Minimum of about 8C on the route. I can live with that.
There was a stunning moon this morning. It's full tonight, so fingers crossed for a braw bricht moonlicht nicht, or something along those lines.

U

User482

I usually do, but on this occasion I will be coming into Waterloo instead...
article-1391047-016F3874000004B0-879_468x428.jpg

Please, please, please stop. We love you dearly, Teef :hello:, but some of us have work to do.;)
Stop? Sure, Charlie. Actually, I did have a pic of you and Lady Penelope...in your formative years
parker-lady-penelope.jpg

...and the only thing that can't stop is...the Final Countdown - 2

TB2.jpg

And, given that this is my favourite Thunderbird - the most useful, workaday item, today's post has to be worthy of it. On the FNRttC, we keep an all-night Virgil, just in case something crops up, of interest. Maybe on Saturday morning there may be more than just a 'funbird' in Brentwood - who knows? Thunderbird 2 has legs. The Night Rides have Leggs. Even this post has got legs now, as there is a leggitimate reason to warble wistfully of days of yore...
Simon. The Jeff Tracy of FNRttC - overseeing all that needs to be understood.
He had a birthday gig onetime.
Some people turned up for a ride. Greg Collins did tone of the most useful things known on this forum - he played bartender with chilled Prosecco. Rich P and Terry did the other good thing and brought me a proper glass to drink from, which meant that, all in, it was an incredibly short journey from the top of Ditchling Beacon to Greg's and more recovery. Frank even stole Rich's finest crystal - "to save him the washing up" was his excuse!
Anyway, pics of another memorable moment.
Such was the love for Simon that folk were trying to draw hearts everywhere! This one was a 'selfie', using the road as a pencil. Extra grog necessary to take away the sting!
2qw3qq0.jpg

Simon got asked the usual daft questions...

a26h3c.jpg

...and found that the writing was not on the wall,after all.

w1zrz6.jpg

It was lucky that people knew how to hold their drink...

15vihv.jpg

...some more than others!

2uixi8k.jpg

Even threepintsmcginty was present - such was the specific gravity of the situation at hand...

16249jb.jpg

"What on earth is all this about?" he said....

lk13q.jpg

Simon had done his usual magisterial ascent to the top, after being unreasonably delayed by fake punctures and pretend stragglers...but by that time we didn't care, hic!

24dj32q.jpg

There were a few or so waiting atop DB

70x849.jpg

So, Fast forward to the Madeira Café and Greg was quick to point out what a rock Simon is. Often gregarious, he's taken to waxing it now. Simon needed steadying, such was the sugar rush, even from holding it in one hand!

1411d1k.jpg

And so the celebrations began (again) and Claudine looked like she was flagging a bit and needed water...

1zqpvgk.jpg

But don't be fooled! The view from the other side gave a truer picture, with Adrian and Des exchanging Italian motoring gestures. I'll not mention Adrian's shirt as it speaks for itself. It should do, covered in farking parrots.

xf7uds.jpg

There was a casto thousands there...riches galore.

2njbiu8.jpg

The older guy was content.

43j9e.jpg

And, Charlie, this is only part one of today's posting. even I have to do some work, so take a deep breast and wait for part deux.* (There may be spelling mistaques, sorry.)

End of Part 1 :rolleyes:

TimO

Guru
There was a stunning moon this morning. It's full tonight, so fingers crossed for a braw bricht moonlicht nicht, or something along those lines.
Yes, there was an impressive moon last night, on my cycle home, and very nearly twelve hours later, shining between the blinds of my bedroom window, when I was getting up.

The forecast's temperatures of between 8°C and 10°C, suggest that it won't be a totally clear night, or we'd get temperatures much nearer freezing, as happened last night. The Met Office forecast does say Good visibility, which is in the middle between Excellent and Very Poor, so I suspect that means the moon will be at least partially uncovered by cloud, and with luck some of the time it should look splendid.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hmmmm, whats this... a night ride to the coast that I seem to be on.. very well then, I best attend to attest the dissenters... :tongue:

So, I am not fit for this, I have man-flu, I have injuries and complete lack of faith in myself, my head doesn't know where its at nor can remember, but I jolly well cant wait. I will need help, of that I am sure, but for the most part, I know I am in the best company that anyone could want to share for nocturnal jollys of the cycling kind.

Cya all tomorrow.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hmmmm, whats this... a night ride to the coast that I seem to be on.. very well then, I best attend to attest the dissenters... :tongue:

All good but please, please, please no more photos of your naked butt. Mind bleach hasn't cleared the horrors effectively. See you Saturday morning :smile:

sagefly

Veteran
Looks like a sensational apres ride is going to be going on through Saturday, in a very pissed off mood unfortunately I'm not going to make the Southend ride, an infected insect bite has scuppered my attendance. Pictures available on request for the not squeamish.

Enjoy the ride and the beers.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
Walnuts. Walnuts. Walnuts. Walnuts.

looking forward to tomorrow . only downer is the hipflask seems to be in amazon limbo. oh well whole bottle then. and cake

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Anyway, all this talk of beer reminds me: I'll be at Paddington from 2216 if anyone fancies a Pre-Ride Sharpener.
Hmmmmm....

Marylebone and Paddington aren't that far apart, are they? Our train gets in not long after yours. There is also a pub at Marylebone.

sagefly

Veteran
There are several excellent pubs in Paddington and also in Marylebone.......... I know them all HIC.....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
OK. The TEC team has an e-mail. So read it. Miranda will be tunnel-spotting - and, if the tunnel is closed (as it was last week) she'll let me know and we'll go down the Highway. Geoff and Chris are tea'd up at Stock and Southend respectively. My kit is laid out. I'm off to bed.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adrian C
Andrew Br
Andrew By
Andrew F
Andrew H
Andrij B