FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend on Sea 7th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Checks email ... Damn. ^_^

I'm off work today, so will be hunting down items that I need (apparently including a bag full of CO2 cartridges!), and doing some maintenance to the bikes. Hopefully there's no reason why I won't use Red, but a worst case scenario is that I use the commuter, and the Southend ride is fine on a singlespeed.
I've got CO2 and a gadget to go with it. We'll have plenty.

I've got CO2 and a gadget to go with it. We'll have plenty.
I've got XO too, and a gadget to go with it. We'll have a gas.

TimO

Guru
Currently I'm stumped on fitting the rear camera and lights to Red. I fear that it may not be possible to fit the camera at all, which would be a shame.

That aside, I need to strip down the brakes, hunt down some food, transfer the route onto my GPS ...

U

User482

Getting from ABO to Paddington: it looks as though I can take my bike on the circle line at Tower Hill, which would take me all the way to Paddington. Is that right?

It's possible that my decision-making abilities on Saturday will be slightly impaired...

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Is anyone going to be in the Euston area at around 22.33 and would like company on the ride to HPC ?
It would be great if you knew the way as well .........

subaqua

What’s the point
Getting from ABO to Paddington: it looks as though I can take my bike on the circle line at Tower Hill, which would take me all the way to Paddington. Is that right?

It's possible that my decision-making abilities on Saturday will be slightly impaired...
yes circle line goes to paddington both ways on the spiral ( it is not a circle line any more , apparently to ease congestion in the area where lines cross.) and from tower hill its debateable which is the better way. tfl says over the top through liverpool street n kings cross

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is anyone going to be in the Euston area at around 22.33 and would like company on the ride to HPC ?
It would be great if you knew the way as well .........

'tis really simple if you take the direct easy route.
Straight down Woburn Place & Kingsway to Aldwich, around Alwdich one was system, take the Strand west (A4 - past Charing Cross) and The Mall to Buck House, then Constitution Hill to HPC.

The Final Countdown - 3
Thunderbird3.jpg

Back to TimOgraphy, and the rocket-powered world of Lady Penelope. She was used to a pink 'roller' (but Ortlieb discontinued them alas...) and so, took to a bike. At first it was a challenge and then, as for so many of us, she learned how to Parker bike and have something to chauffeur a night in the saddle.
Claudine hatched a plan, albeit medieval, at the beginning of the week (It was a map o' Monday :rolleyes:) "Let's do something for Penelope...she's made it this far ('Penny' hadn't dropped...) Let's show her we care by offering her the ultimate gift for her birthday...our collective wit and wisdom!" (Could have been a small gift then, Claudine)
But persevere we did, and now Lady P is ensconced at the top table of cycling's finest. It was a big effort by Claudine, and only my ineptitude and liaison with a load of French guys in Soho for far too much coffee, ensured that panic set in before we all made an xhibit of ourselves. I don't remember a thing except falling over and sleeping on a pile of bubblewrap that night but it was a fine celebration of all that's quality.
So.
'We' - Claudine, made plans and a few rough ideas were thrown together. 'The Claud' was a hard taskmistress...but easily swayed by the offer of a drink - as many of you seeing her try to stand up will testify. However, back to the greetings. All cards start with a front, naturally. A glass of bubbly perhaps, or a picture of a vase of roses - as befits a tender female person...
2mx4a6c.jpg

We soon put that notion to bed. Then, open up the card to receive a succinct greeting with a hand-written testament to health and love etc... No chance. This was cycling's finest out to annhialate the visual and literary world as we knew it!

2vj7hpx.jpg

And then the eloquence begins...and ends after this feature.

2ptz4zl.jpg

2dv8vp4.jpg

Adrian, writing under his pen name ( "Bic" ) wrote an excellent feature, showing just how beneficial water could be to the early-morning rider.

mb3fjd.jpg

Then there were the cycling recipes -the usual sort of toot one finds inside a regular birthday card...(The recipes work by the way!)

4lk75w.jpg

Our very own 'Hatter' Adam D'Odo described a scintillating fashion show (he usually tries to wear one on rides but...)

2d1pzqu.jpg

We asked Rich P (at the time recovering from a hip operation - buttock implants - how hip could he get?), who is a renowned needleworker to run up a feature on cross stitch. Such was his deafness, he came up with an acrostic! Close but no cicada... And a few odd things thrown in for good measure (Not implying that a pic of Davy is odd - oh no!) Clive Baldwin added words and I sketched a bit.

wmgu89.jpg

And even agony featured. No, Vernon and his compulsory pie and absinthe sessions hadn't started by then - it was CycleChat's very own Jerome K (for Kebab) Jerome and his problem page...

8whwu1.jpg

There were even adverts. What sort of birthday card was this turning into? (The ad agency, 'Conway, Conway & Mumbles' should be proud of this - a Classic. OK they went cheap with the model but they got that 'vagrant' look spot on.)

344wknp.jpg

And, finally, the sugary stuff that we all wanted in the first place!

do5aph.jpg

9h3xpk.jpg

33xdant.jpg

And. That was it. Except for the back page, where Lady Penelope and her lover, Brains, were to be found discussing the prospects of movement to the right. (It had been a long hot day 'working through' a few things, obviously.)

2m6tpnk.jpg

Just one of the things that makes Friday Night Rides so awful. How bad have yours been?
Buy Claudine a drink if you like this - she did a lot!
sv0x80.jpg

Ah happy days. In fact I also ended up doing most of Davy's Agony Aunt page as well - after all, he doesn't bother turning up for rides, so couldn't be expected to write an article! :tongue: Another confession is that the names of the correspondents used are all architects. :laugh:

Adam B
Adrian C
Andrew Br
Andrew By
Andrew F
Andrij B
Angus L
Anna D
Anne H
Anne M
Arthur C
Bruce R
Carl P1
Charles E
Charlie B
Charlie M
Chris B
Chris S
Chris W
Claudine C
Clive B
Clive P
Dan P
Daniel A
Dave F
Dave J
David C
David H
David P
Davy S
Diana J
Dr John B
Eddie C
Ejaz R
Frank P
Gail G
Gary J
Geoff S
Georgios V
Gordon P
Graham P
Grahame D
Greg S
Greg T
Iain C
Ian At
Jenny M
Jeremy C
John E
John M
John S
John T
Julie G
Kai N
Kim W
Lee T
Mark G
Martin F
Martin T
Martin W
Mary L
Michael A
Mick B
Mick D
Mike E
Mike M
Miranda S
Nick L
Nigel Cri
Olaf S
Paul Rd
Peter D
Peter M
Rachel S
Rachel W
Rebecca O
Rob H
Ross C
Sahar
Sandra S
Selena M
Sig E
Sonia W
Stephen O
Stephen T
Stephen W
Steve R
Steve W
Steve W
Stuart A
Stuart G
Susana L
Susie F
Tacey L
Thom F
Tim H
Tim O
Titus H
Vernon L
Xi C
Andrew H

Blimey - that's quite a lot. I think the first one I did, in July or possibly August 2005, there was about 10 of us.

End of an era.

This time I have my passport to hand:thumbsup:

Shiny bike is packed and ready to go. I have not yet done a "field assembly" so here's hoping I don't drop a bolt down a drain at St Pancs...

If all goes to plan* I shall nip down to the Tower to see what all the fuss is about and then be up to HPC for roll call.

*Two office leaving drinks to attend before heading to the station, what can go wrong

Top Bottom