FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend on Sea 7th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone suggested the Paperworks ?
Newington Causeway - 3 mins down from London Bridge en route to Elephant.
They have lots of space and minders on the gate - all very civilised...
Good call, Thom. It looks suitably shabby - I'll blend in nicely. The yuccas will be dripping water from their leaves...bring a plastic bag for one's saddle, everyone! What are the clothes driers like in the WCs? It could swing it back to All Bahone...

Spectating five day test cricket, that's a test of stamina. Opera just doesn't compare, not even the full ring cycle.
Roadster_handlebars.jpg

Ring Cycle, with Stravinsky saddle behind

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Adam B
Adrian C
Andrew Br
Andrew By
Andrew F
Andrij B
Angus L
Anna D
Anne H
Anne M
Arthur C
Bruce R
Carl P1
Charles E
Charlie B
Charlie M
Chris B
Chris S
Chris W
Claudine C
Clive B
Clive P
Dan P
Daniel A
Dave F
Dave J
David C
David H
David P
Davy S
Diana J
Dr John B
Eddie C
Ejaz R
Frank P
Gail G
Gary J
Geoff S
Georgios V
Gordon P
Graham P
Grahame D
Greg S
Greg T
Iain C
Ian At
Jenny M
Jeremy C
John E
John M
John S
John T
Julie G
Kai N
Kim W
Lee T
Mark G
Martin F
Martin T
Martin W
Mary L
Michael A
Mick B
Mick D
Mike E
Mike M
Miranda S
Nick L
Nigel Cri
Olaf S
Paul Rd
Peter D
Peter M
Rachel S
Rachel W
Rebecca O
Rob H
Ross C
Sahar
Sandra S
Selena M
Sig E
Sonia W
Stephen O
Stephen T
Stephen W
Steve R
Steve W
Steve W
Stuart A
Stuart G
Susana L
Susie F
Tacey L
Thom F
Tim H
Tim O
Titus H
Vernon L
Xi C
Andrew H

So the Stu's have caught up with the Daves.
And 1 less Ian.

thom

____
Goodness that is a long way south. So far that you cannot even see the water, and some would think they need inoculations.
Closer to London bridge than all bar one, as well as Waterloo, blackfriars etc.
And would you not prefer your custom to support the Peabody Housing Trust ?
Might be worth checking how amenable to cyclists they'd be - might just be too cool...

U

User482

Anyway, all this talk of beer reminds me: I'll be at Paddington from 2216 if anyone fancies a Pre-Ride Sharpener.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Has anyone suggested the Paperworks ?
Newington Causeway - 3 mins down from London Bridge en route to Elephant.
They have lots of space and minders on the gate - all very civilised...
Doesn't open until midday on a Saturday.

Right, All Bar One, Shad Thames it is. They're open from 9am. Who is going to call them to tell them the good news? It's 020 7940 9771.

frank9755

Cyclist
It looks like the choice of venue is going to go down to the wire! Thom's suggestion sounded good but maybe not for a wet day in November. Other places doubtlessly have their merits too, but Allbarone on Shad Thames seems the safe compromise candidate.

I don't mind phoning but feel it's @dellzeqq 's call if he has a preference as to where to go.

Should we make a decision by end of today, then call the chosen recipient of our business, and see if they can, if not give us a volume discount, at least make space for us...?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The OFFICIAL post ride watering spot will be announced shortly

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Phew. Someone with the authority to make a decision.

The Final Countdown - 3
Thunderbird3.jpg

Back to TimOgraphy, and the rocket-powered world of Lady Penelope. She was used to a pink 'roller' (but Ortlieb discontinued them alas...) and so, took to a bike. At first it was a challenge and then, as for so many of us, she learned how to Parker bike and have something to chauffeur a night in the saddle.
Claudine hatched a plan, albeit medieval, at the beginning of the week (It was a map o' Monday :rolleyes:) "Let's do something for Penelope...she's made it this far ('Penny' hadn't dropped...) Let's show her we care by offering her the ultimate gift for her birthday...our collective wit and wisdom!" (Could have been a small gift then, Claudine)
But persevere we did, and now Lady P is ensconced at the top table of cycling's finest. It was a big effort by Claudine, and only my ineptitude and liaison with a load of French guys in Soho for far too much coffee, ensured that panic set in before we all made an xhibit of ourselves. I don't remember a thing except falling over and sleeping on a pile of bubblewrap that night but it was a fine celebration of all that's quality.
So.
'We' - Claudine, made plans and a few rough ideas were thrown together. 'The Claud' was a hard taskmistress...but easily swayed by the offer of a drink - as many of you seeing her try to stand up will testify. However, back to the greetings. All cards start with a front, naturally. A glass of bubbly perhaps, or a picture of a vase of roses - as befits a tender female person...
2mx4a6c.jpg

We soon put that notion to bed. Then, open up the card to receive a succinct greeting with a hand-written testament to health and love etc... No chance. This was cycling's finest out to annhialate the visual and literary world as we knew it!

2vj7hpx.jpg

And then the eloquence begins...and ends after this feature.

2ptz4zl.jpg

2dv8vp4.jpg

Adrian, writing under his pen name ( "Bic" ) wrote an excellent feature, showing just how beneficial water could be to the early-morning rider.

mb3fjd.jpg

Then there were the cycling recipes -the usual sort of toot one finds inside a regular birthday card...(The recipes work by the way!)

4lk75w.jpg

Our very own 'Hatter' Adam D'Odo described a scintillating fashion show (he usually tries to wear one on rides but...)

2d1pzqu.jpg

We asked Rich P (at the time recovering from a hip operation - buttock implants - how hip could he get?), who is a renowned needleworker to run up a feature on cross stitch. Such was his deafness, he came up with an acrostic! Close but no cicada... And a few odd things thrown in for good measure (Not implying that a pic of Davy is odd - oh no!) Clive Baldwin added words and I sketched a bit.

wmgu89.jpg

And even agony featured. No, Vernon and his compulsory pie and absinthe sessions hadn't started by then - it was CycleChat's very own Jerome K (for Kebab) Jerome and his problem page...

8whwu1.jpg

There were even adverts. What sort of birthday card was this turning into? (The ad agency, 'Conway, Conway & Mumbles' should be proud of this - a Classic. OK they went cheap with the model but they got that 'vagrant' look spot on.)

344wknp.jpg

And, finally, the sugary stuff that we all wanted in the first place!

do5aph.jpg

9h3xpk.jpg

33xdant.jpg

And. That was it. Except for the back page, where Lady Penelope and her lover, Brains, were to be found discussing the prospects of movement to the right. (It had been a long hot day 'working through' a few things, obviously.)

2m6tpnk.jpg

Just one of the things that makes Friday Night Rides so awful. How bad have yours been?
Buy Claudine a drink if you like this - she did a lot!
sv0x80.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, I went to the pub to see if they would have us, and I drank beer, so I can't remember what they said. So - on 'elf and safety grounds, it's All Bar One at Shad Thames (or, more properly, Butlers Wharf). Walking distance of London Bridge, which takes you to Southeast, Southern, Southwest (via Waterloo) and whatever they call Thameslink (to Kings Cross).

Top Bottom